PS Acoustic Thoughts

Well, here’s a pretty bad iPhone shot of the back of guitar. The light spots are reflections from the window and overhead lights. The finish and flame are very even in person. The neck flame shows up more in person than in the pic, too. I’m a pretty bad photographer!

The finish is kind of a smokeburst around the edges of the guitar. Looks nicer in person all the way around.

YzQPfw5.jpg

I just found a TV ad I did with my first cocobolo Tonare Grand, before I got the maple one.

This simple kind of stuff is pretty much what I do with an acoustic! :eek: :(

HAP is a health care company in the Midwest.

Late to this party... Doug - I go through the same struggle re PRS acoustics vs the one I suspect you really know and love... what it comes down to is the personal connection to the instrument in the end.

If you're like Les, and order one made just for you - the connection will be there. If you're like others and A/B/C/D many, you'll either bond with one or not... it gets overwhelming after about 3 guitars in my experience.

I tend to bring my daily driver and compare before I know whether some new flame has legs. More often than not, in fact, so far every time, the new flame falls short of my daily player... which isn't a PRS at the moment, and in fact it's not one that I've seen named often. But it's amazing...

I get lost in the array of choices available these days. I find myself looking at Carter Vintage often - and spent a day there recently, walked out empty handed. Same at Gruhn... the right ones usually find you.

Cody Kilby, Martin Simpson, hell I even saw Zac Brown playing a steel string PRS recently - there's a wide range of styles from that one box. Those guys - all picky.

Every Core or PS PRS Acoustic I've touched has had the magic. I'm not blind to PRS - in fact I don't really like the SE acoustics - too heavily made, too fundamental in tone -

At the end of the day, if you love the look, and the feel, then the sound will definitely be there in any of the high end guitars you're considering.

The difference between even the boutiques versus the well-established are hard to really nail down. All have their attraction - it's a buyer's dream right now! The top names put as much love and even more experience into their best.

I have an older SE Angelus that was gifted to me... and it surprises me every so often, in a very good way. Every instrument has music inside...

Our job is to let it escape into the world...

Enjoy the journey!!

Have you picked one??

Late to this party... Doug - I go through the same struggle re PRS acoustics vs the one I suspect you really know and love... what it comes down to is the personal connection to the instrument in the end.

If you're like Les, and order one made just for you - the connection will be there. If you're like others and A/B/C/D many, you'll either bond with one or not... it gets overwhelming after about 3 guitars in my experience.

I tend to bring my daily driver and compare before I know whether some new flame has legs. More often than not, in fact, so far every time, the new flame falls short of my daily player... which isn't a PRS at the moment, and in fact it's not one that I've seen named often. But it's amazing...

I get lost in the array of choices available these days. I find myself looking at Carter Vintage often - and spent a day there recently, walked out empty handed. Same at Gruhn... the right ones usually find you.

Cody Kilby, Martin Simpson, hell I even saw Zac Brown playing a steel string PRS recently - there's a wide range of styles from that one box. Those guys - all picky.

Every Core or PS PRS Acoustic I've touched has had the magic. I'm not blind to PRS - in fact I don't really like the SE acoustics - too heavily made, too fundamental in tone -

At the end of the day, if you love the look, and the feel, then the sound will definitely be there in any of the high end guitars you're considering.

The difference between even the boutiques versus the well-established are hard to really nail down. All have their attraction - it's a buyer's dream right now! The top names put as much love and even more experience into their best.

I have an older SE Angelus that was gifted to me... and it surprises me every so often, in a very good way. Every instrument has music inside...

Our job is to let it escape into the world...

Enjoy the journey!!

Have you picked one??

Hey again! The challenge really IS that I already have a PS in the works, and the NEXT about 95% built in my head, so making an acoustic would be a third! I'm no where NEAR good enough, or playing enough to justify a third...

It’s not about how good you are. It’s about how much a good guitar would inspire you to play.

Oh, I dig it. I'm always worried about crossing the line over to "Drs and Lawyers".

I also consider it bad juju to have beautiful guitars just hanging on the wall, not being played as they should!

This is interesting to me. I’ll throw out an experience I had recently which codified for me that I’d never pay for a top quality acoustic without playing it first. And it has nothing to with concerns about quality. A couple of months back I was at a shop that had several Santa Cruz guitars. I played 5. All dreadnoughts. All of absolute impeccable quality. It terms of how they played from a fretting hand perspective, I don’t think that I could tell the difference. However, they all felt different, vibrationally, against my body and they all had differences in tone that were appreciable as a player and listener. One stood out as tops for me. Another potential customer in the store had a very different take. Even though the species of wood were the same, clearly the pieces had a big impact. Those guitars were all subPS prices. Confirmed for me that with acoustics the risks are too high, for me, to not have the ability to try one out. YMMV
I agree. A number of years ago I bought a 714 with a cedar top. There were three identical ones there but the one I chose sounded quite different in the depth and the "tenderness" of the notes.

Having crazy thoughts in my head about commissioning a PS Acoustic. While on my Texas guitar store tour I had a chance to check out both a Tonare and Angelus, and have to say I found them enjoyable and beautiful guitars. I won't say that they were my favorite acoustic, a certain PA manufacturer holds that place in my heart. I definitely felt they were a great guitar and can't accept the fact that there isn't a lefty.

To that end, I'm thinking about having an acoustic built, so I can get a lefty! (Something about flipping the bridge and nut doesn't sit well w/me. :) ) I was going to reach out to a dealer to ask, but I figured someone here might be able to help:

We can see from this site, and I know from my own personal experience, how a PS electric price compares to a Core. IMO, within the various models, depending on options you can expect a PS to be 2-3x the price of the comparable Core model (ex: Custom 24 to PS Custom 24). Does anyone know if that holds true across the Acoustic lines?

I clicked on the link for PRS in the header of the forum, then on the dealers for acoustic guitars and noticed this link:
https://leftyguitarsonly.com/

Maybe there is an answer there.
Good luck.

It’s not about how good you are. It’s about how much a good guitar would inspire you to play.

So true.

I think DougUSMC needs to come along on for a Blood Brother Build as the lefty representative!!! It would be your third PS and there's three B's in Blood Brother Build so it's an omen! Yes, this level of enabling comes naturally to me.

So true.

I think DougUSMC needs to come along on for a Blood Brother Build as the lefty representative!!! It would be your third PS and there's three B's in Blood Brother Build so it's an omen! Yes, this level of enabling comes naturally to me.

MY third PS?? I have one in the works, but the second and third are only in planning right now...

Reactions: jfb
You said your second is planned. That slot is sacred. This would be your third. Three Blood Brothers...Your third build...Three points make a plane... Enabler status set to mega!

My man at work!

Reactions: jfb
Back