PRSh at Chicago Music Exchange - April 9

Another entertaining evening with Mr. Smith! Boscoe France is amazing - his fret work behind the slide was blowing minds tonight.

Met some quality forum folks - @bodia immediately picked me out by the purple shirt, seen below with my newly autographed best instrument ever:

1RU8maQ_d.jpg

Photo credit: @sergiodeblanc who may have peeped my photo roll, despite his assurances...

@BrianC and I tried to figure out which of us has the widest gear-to-talent ratio. I'm pretty sure it's me, given how many bands it sounds like he's in.

And good luck to @matonanjin on the conclusion of his Chicago guitar hunt.

Right on! Great to meet a couple of forum bros (and the Mrs of a forum bro.... not Les'). It was a fun time. Boscoe was amazing. Such tone. The shootouts were cool, and surprisingly (or not) the Prototype Paul had, and the Silver Sky really held their ground. I'm biased, but if I was gonna drop $28k on a real '57 Strat, it would have to sound better than the SS. It didn't. Nor did it, or the LP, sound any better than the Prototype with the splits. Truly good stuff. I also got Paul to sign the EG II Protoype. He looked surprised to see it! All in all; an evening well spent! Thanks to Brian C for driving! Always fun to hang with Sergio and his buddy Dee!

Another entertaining evening with Mr. Smith! Boscoe France is amazing - his fret work behind the slide was blowing minds tonight.

Met some quality forum folks - @bodia immediately picked me out by the purple shirt, seen below with my newly autographed best instrument ever:

1RU8maQ_d.jpg

Photo credit: @sergiodeblanc who may have peeped my photo roll, despite his assurances...

@BrianC and I tried to figure out which of us has the widest gear-to-talent ratio. I'm pretty sure it's me, given how many bands it sounds like he's in.

And good luck to @matonanjin on the conclusion of his Chicago guitar hunt.
Beauty! Congrats!

Right on! Great to meet a couple of forum bros (and the Mrs of a forum bro.... not Les'). It was a fun time. Boscoe was amazing. Such tone. The shootouts were cool, and surprisingly (or not) the Prototype Paul had, and the Silver Sky really held their ground. I'm biased, but if I was gonna drop $28k on a real '57 Strat, it would have to sound better than the SS. It didn't. Nor did it, or the LP, sound any better than the Prototype with the splits. Truly good stuff. I also got Paul to sign the EG II Protoype. He looked surprised to see it! All in all; an evening well spent! Thanks to Brian C for driving! Always fun to hang with Sergio and his buddy Dee!
Was it the ME V prototype, or something else?

It was a Paul's Guitar, but had, what I believe, were the same pickup characteristics as the MEV pickups. He said they were brand new, and not seen before. Whatever they were, they were to die for.
Nice!

I just want the switch that will take me from 59/09 to 57/08 to 85/15 to 58/15LT to 53/10 when the mood strikes me :) Is that too much to ask?? :D Where’s my piezo toggle?

It was a Paul's Guitar, but had, what I believe, were the same pickup characteristics as the MEV pickups. He said they were brand new, and not seen before. Whatever they were, they were to die for.
As we were waiting in line for signatures, I noted to @bodia that we had all failed to ask the right question in the Q&A, which was when we could get our hands on something with those pickups!

What fun! Normally a trip to Chicago Music Exchange is a memorable experience. But I got to meet Paul Reed Smith himself and he signed my guitar! My wife took a picture of me with Paul but it will probably take me days to figure out how to get the photo from my phone to here.

But what made the trip especially great this time was meeting the members from here that have so generously offered advice repeatedly. You guys are always unsparing with your knowledge and it was really fun to chat in person. And so characteristically a couple of continued the education last night when I was picking up guitars.

Mrs. matonanjin enjoyed talking with the couple of you she met.

Last edited:
CME was broadcasting it live on Facebook. I probably saw the back of a few of your heads. I plan to back and watch the whole thing so I can live vicariously.

Back