PRS you just can't bond with...

I've tried on a couple of occasions and could not bond with the newer Pattern Vintage neck profile (and yet, the earlier non-asymmetrical Pattern is my favorite). Which pretty much means I have to avoid all "594" guitars with the one exception of the S2 McCarty 594 Thinline. I can handle all the other PRS neck profiles just fine, but Pattern Vintage is a non-starter for me.

I’m keeping my Silver Sky. It’s my favorite guitar I’ve ever played live. I’ve moved on from my CE22 and CE24 recently though. Both great guitars but my tastes change periodically as do my guitars. So now I’ve added a 2019 Duesenberg Starplayer TV and a new 2021 89 Vintage Select Gretsch Sparkle Jet to round out the vintage vibes I’m into lately. May add a Vela at some point but my Silver Sky is not going anywhere, ever. Sorry you can’t get on with yours.

Two for me. I had a beautiful SE EG in white with a tortoise pick guard. I had put a TBX tone control in it, and it sounded fantastic! The neck profile and the volume control location made me crazy! It went bye-bye. Phil of Philtone Music had gotten his dream guitar, a piano black Hollowbody with a spruce top. For some reason, he hated the 25” scale. He has been playing 25 & 1/2 for most of his life. So he offered it to me for stupid price, I took it to big band practice, small jazz band rehearsal, and really, really didn’t like the sound or the feel. I declined. Fast forward a few years. I got an SE Hollowbody piezo that suits me to a t. I unloaded my prized Guild X170, because the SE did it all better. And this is after 45 years of Hollowbodies. Go figure. ALL my other PRS are fantastic. If I could only stop acquiring...…..

Last edited:
Record something, even with your phone, and put it up. No way a C24 sounds the same in every positon. Something is up with that.

I wonder about the \m/ pickups, wonder if anyone else feels similar.

I also love my Silver Sky and McCarty 594.

I don't like Strats how they feel, but I love my SS. I thought I would love a 594, but did not bond with the S2 594 I tried (just one unfortunately). However the only Paul's Guitar I ever tried blew me away! Everything was perfect.

Would like to try a Core 594 to give it another go.

I don't like Strats how they feel, but I love my SS. I thought I would love a 594, but did not bond with the S2 594 I tried (just one unfortunately). However the only Paul's Guitar I ever tried blew me away! Everything was perfect.

Would like to try a Core 594 to give it another go.

My most favorite guitar I own is the core Mccarty 594 Hollowbody II! I really wish for you to try a core 594 one day, they're very special.

It's interesting to experiment with different guitars; sometimes they work out, sometimes, not. And sometimes I move one out only to discover I made a mistake selling, so I buy the same thing all over again. Sometimes, I repeat this cycle several times! :eek:

Then too, individual wooden instruments of the very same model can sound different from one another; one can be amazing, another not quite what you were looking for.

I've found over the years that there's something about the lower midrange of set-neck guitars that I love - I haven't bought a bolt-on in many years. But that doesn't mean I might not try one down the road. After all, I'm a glutton for self-imposed guitar guilt! ;)

Singlecut guitars. I love the look of them (both PRS and LP) but every time I pick one up to play, I’m reminded why I don’t like them. Thus me passing on the good deal on the Bernie this past weekend… I kept hearing in the back of my head “You’re going to hate it in a week.

I've played PRS guitars I didn't bond with...and I've owned the silver sky twice...never could like it more than the CS strat I had or my Warmoth strat I put together. In the end my Warmoth strat is the only strat I've stuck with.

I've also had a CU24 I couldn't bond with...and two CU24 floyd rose I didn't bond with. However I did have one CU24 floyd I did indeed bond with, and two CU24 I absolutely love...sooo you just gotta sell and keep looking. Not bonding with guitars is normal par for the course.

My wife bought me an SE 245 goldtop 8 years ago and I just couldn't. Can't remember why, but it just wasn't right. Now she wants me to get the SE Custom 24-08 in Eriza Verde... at first I thought she was kidding, but nope. Didn't take long for me to start thinking about it seriously when I saw the coil tap switches. So I'm going to go to a local GC just to try out the various PRS models to see how they feel, and then go from there.

Last edited:
My most favorite guitar I own is the core Mccarty 594 Hollowbody II! I really wish for you to try a core 594 one day, they're very special.
I ended up trying a Core 594. It was really nice. The neck was a lot better. I want to play more of them... I must be used to my Silver Sky now.

Is anyone's binding on the 594 or McCarty rolled? It was quite sharp and not rolled like my Silver Sky.

I got a vela a few years ago that I've just never been able to get along with. I actually loaned it to a friend pre covid and forgot all about it(actually thought I'd sold it during covid guitar culls), last month he returned it to me, try as I might still cant get on with it - just doesn't feel "right". So I'm doing a weekend round trip to the shetland Isles (13 hours on a ferry each way:eek:) to return it to said friend as a early xmas pressie.

50513248556_58a1859e5e_o.jpg

I got a vela a few years ago that I've just never been able to get along with. I actually loaned it to a friend pre covid and forgot all about it(actually thought I'd sold it during covid guitar culls), last month he returned it to me, try as I might still cant get on with it - just doesn't feel "right". So I'm doing a weekend round trip to the shetland Isles (13 hours on a ferry each way:eek:) to return it to said friend as a early xmas pressie.

50513248556_58a1859e5e_o.jpg

Stop off in Dundee for a brew if you have the time and you’d like to. Not to drop the Vela off to me :p

Any of the 594s or 245s. The 25" scale is what drew me to PRS in the first place - it's the Goldilocks scale for me, it feels and sounds "just right". Thus, probably the Silver Sky as well, but I also don't get along with Strats in general, so haven't really played one much.

Oh yes........I've had a few that were kind of disappointing. Total bummer for sure. On the flipside, I own a few that will go nowhere till I'm dead and gone!

Back