PRS you just can't bond with...

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Ron, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Ron

Ron New Member

Have you chased down that great PRS only to find later you just couldn't connect with it. My first PRS is a Custom 22 that was my number one for almost eight years. Then I bought a 594 that I couldn't put down for about three years. Then I bought a Silver Sky, and thought I would really love it. I needed some single coils after parting with a Strat and Tele. The SS is a great guitar but I just can't get on with it. Since then I bought a DGT. Man what a killer guitar! Long, long time fan of David and I knew the right DGT would come along and for the last six or seven months it's been my go to guitar.

Not trying to stir any waters here, I guess I'm just trying to justify wanting to trade the SS. Or maybe someday it'll feel right. Also wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Ron

2. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Bought and sold many over the years. I can’t say I’ve run into one I didn’t like yet, but certainly found some I liked more! I’m not really that specific on feel, and tend to just adapt to whatever I’m playing. That might explain some of that, but it’s also that PRS core guitars are so consistently playable.

3. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

Sadly I’ve never bonded with any PRS singlecuts. I’ve had 4 of them and they just aren’t for me. I think they are great, but I always ended up pushing them to the side.

4. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

I've never really bonded with a SS, but I've never owned one. I demo'd plenty only to not jive any more today than I didn't from day one. I do like strats though, maybe that's it more than a knock on the guitar for me. I have a few strats I like and one thats a fav. I don't need another S style guitar and my brain may be protecting me from a guitar I don't need. Either way I'm with you on not bonding with a SS, yet I admittedly I still look at them.

5. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

Well i think it goes with any style of guitar you bond with, if you dont like single coils youre not gonna like the SS.....as well as if you dont like LPs youre probably not gonna love a singlecut....personally I like the singlecuts better than LPs but I dont own either because I like to rip in the upper frets...SS would work for me if they made a HSS that why I have Standard 22s and a 594....plus I really dig shoter scale lengths ala most PRS...

LSchefman, dogrocketp and Ron like this.
  6. markd21

markd21 New Member

Yes. For me, it was the DGT. I was so pumped to get one. Upon receipt, it was meh at best. I hunted down an Artist Pack in a custom color with a Braz board. It looked killer, but just wasn't pleasing to me, at all.

Another was the Santana. I got a nice Santana III. Loved the feel, but it felt too small overall.

And....I loathe Custom 24s. Especially if they have HFS/VB pickups. But in fairness I HATE the HFS/VB in anything!!!

gush, LSchefman, dogrocketp and 3 others like this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

It would be the Silver Sky, for me. But, that's also why don't don't own any S style guitar. I love how other people sound playing them, but hate how I sound playing them.

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 doublescale1

years ago I got a very good deal on a McCarty Hollowbody II - Maple top & back, Mahogany center piece, beautiful guitar. For the life of me I could not get along with the neck on that guitar - It felt way too wide for me across the fretboard. I tried to make friends with it for just over a year and sent it on it's way. I had no problem moving it, but I've always felt a little sad that I couldn't make the neck work; but you can't change out the hands you were given.

9. chicagoslim

chicagoslim New Member

I'm on my second McCarty (the first was 15 years ago). But, I've never bonded with any thick, solid bodies. It has to be thin and light or a semi-hollow.

I don't play the same music, as most of you. As a working musician, the only money that I made playing Metal or Blues, was teaching it to teenagers. I was a rockabilly player, who often got hired by Nashville recording artists. I also did really well playing gospel and praise music. So, I need a guitar that can cover Tele and Gretsch sounds. The Custom 22's, Starla's, SAS and Singlecut semi-hollows, all work well for me (with minor adjustments). YMMV!

#9 chicagoslim, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  10. Vazzy

Vazzy New Member

I'm not sure if there's an issue with the pickups, pickup selector or something else but I just can't jive with my custom 24 floyd rose.

I swear every pickup position sounds very similar. Maybe it's just mine though.

LSchefman and Ron like this.
  11. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc PRSf certified

Silver Sky because: Strat.

12. DreamTheaterRules

Record something, even with your phone, and put it up. No way a C24 sounds the same in every positon. Something is up with that.

13. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

It has been my experience that if it isn't thrilling you now, it won't later. I've let a couple go that didn't work for me and I've never wished I hadn't. Find the next one.

14. Silvertree

Silvertree I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.

The frets and radius of the SS is just not for me. I've also found that pattern regular or pattern are better for me than thin or vintage.

15. Ron

Ron New Member

Interesting comments, thanks all!

I'll say that I do lean toward humbuckers but have owned a Strat and Tele that I enjoyed. (Traded the Tele in on the SS). I kinda like the neck radius for something different and also like the way some others sound playing the SS. But, I will probably let it go. I've been eyeing Hollowbody's with piezo lately....

LSchefman, dogrocketp and markd21 like this.
  16. DreamTheaterRules

What color and fingerboard?

LSchefman likes this.
  17. Steve's addiction

Steve's addiction New Member

The newer CE's. I bought a 2018 and it just doesn't do it for me. Kind of bland sounding.

andy474x, LSchefman and Bowtiefanatc like this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob New Member

No for the electrics, yes for my acoustic, which is a work in progress. Setup tweaks just take longer, but it’ll get there.

LSchefman likes this.
  19. BlackhawksCRNA

BlackhawksCRNA New Member

I don’t enjoy the bolt-neck guitars. As a kid I wanted a Prs so bad, I tried my first one out(90s ce) didn’t like it. I’ve owned multiple swamp
    Ash specials and sold them all. Didn’t care for the SS that I played. The Fiore is tempting but I know how it will end...

LSchefman and AP515 like this.
  20. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

If you don't want to play it, let somebody else. No worries.