PRS wraparound stoptail

Cbez95

Just bought a new SE Paul’s guitar and I’m having problems with sustain and what seems to be fretbuzz (mainly on G and B strings around middle of the neck) Have raised the action, gave the truss rod more slack and still having problems. My SE custom 24 (trem) has a super low action with an almost straight neck and plays like a dream in comparison. Is it a problem with the slight lean on the wraparound stoptail bridge causing sustain issues? Anyone else have the same problem?

Raising the action may not be the right answer, IMHO fret buzz in the middle of the neck is an indicator that you may need a little more relief in the neck. I really like Joe Walsh's ideas on set up. Wish he played PRS's though LOL.

Yeah, make sure you put a little back bow and not a forward bow when you tweaked the truss rod. Once you have the right neck relief you can set the action. The forward tilt on the stoptail might be the problem with sustain. You can put shims under the front of the studs or you can purchase locking studs if you want to do it the fancy way.

Thanks for the replies! If anything, i have given a slight forward bow (loosened truss rod) and raised the bridge to try and compensate for this fretbuzz and still not working. Any higher action and it will be like an acoustic . Also If i hold first and last fret there is plenty of play on the 5th..

I have major fretbuzz from 9th-16th fret. Before and after that area is fine. Only thing i can think of is the 17th fret is uneven and sitting too high... this is also what is probably causing the sustain issues. Never had this problem especially on a guitar thats less than a week old!

Thanks for the replies! If anything, i have given a slight forward bow (loosened truss rod) and raised the bridge to try and compensate for this fretbuzz and still not working. Any higher action and it will be like an acoustic . Also If i hold first and last fret there is plenty of play on the 5th..

I have major fretbuzz from 9th-16th fret. Before and after that area is fine. Only thing i can think of is the 17th fret is uneven and sitting too high... this is also what is probably causing the sustain issues. Never had this problem especially on a guitar thats less than a week old!
either that or something to do with this darn bridge..

Put a straight edge on top of the frets.
If the frets are not level, then you’ll know what is going on.

Just a tthought:

Hows the weather where you are?

If it is dry, you may need to put that guitar in a case with a humidifier kit of some sort for a week or so.

The reason I say this is that I have an A55e that likes to twist a little when the humidity drops for long periods of time (winter) the twist always occurs at or around the 17th fret amd is most noticeable on the E6 (high) string. Humidification sets the neck straight and the buzz / dead spot goes away.

Again, just a thought, not actual remedy, I am not an actual Guitar Tech, but I do play one on the internet.

Back