PRS with Pearly Gates

Eddie kim

Any rocking any PRS with Pearly Gates? I still have have a new set I purchased before I drank the PRS cool aid. I will be sending my S2 CU 24 to PRS for a American spec pots and wiring. Should I have them install the p/u as well? Any thought?

Eddie

I always keep the stock pickups in my PRSi.
An understandable position, especially with the newer generation pickups, but the early ones were not as good and even the good ones were intentionally built hot. If you wanted a vintage tone it was a challenge on many models. Nothing wrong with giving a quality instrument a different voice.

An understandable position, especially with the newer generation pickups, but the early ones were not as good and even the good ones were intentionally built hot. If you wanted a vintage tone it was a challenge on many models. Nothing wrong with giving a quality instrument a different voice.
Yep. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Personally, it didn’t work. I didn’t keep the Pearly Gates in my CU24 for more than a few hours. But I encourage anyone curious to jump in and check it out.

As long as it’s going to the PTC, I’d have them install a set of 57/08s, because they’re such great pickups, and they work so well with PRSes.

But I don’t know what you like or play, so I’m only saying what I’d do, not what you should do.

Any rocking any PRS with Pearly Gates? I still have have a new set I purchased before I drank the PRS cool aid. I will be sending my S2 CU 24 to PRS for a American spec pots and wiring. Should I have them install the p/u as well? Any thought?

Eddie
I put in Pearly Gates pickups first thing in my 2015 Singlecut, which, in my opinion, greatly improved its tone: It's hotter, louder, fuller, better.
Tell me why you are going to install new pots and wiring harness. (They seem unnecessary, but what do I know?)

Last edited:
I put in Pearly Gates pickups first thing in my 2015 Singlecut, which, in my opinion, greatly improved its tone: It's hotter, louder, fuller, better.
Tell my why you are going to install new pots and wiring harness. (They seem unnecessary, but what do I know?)
Just thought about putting everything the core guitar has. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the wires used in the S2 models are different. Plus PRS cs told me that they would be using different wiring when changing the pots to USA spec. Plus just having the Pearly Gates sitting is taunting me..

Just thought about putting everything the core guitar has. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the wires used in the S2 models are different. Plus PRS cs told me that they would be using different wiring when changing the pots to USA spec. Plus just having the Pearly Gates sitting is taunting me..

Could be wrong, but I think the S2 is pretty much a Core guitar except for the pickups. Paul, at one time, which changed in 2017, said that he would never offer top-of-the-line pickups for sale separately, because they are the real attraction; that is, why buy a Core if you can put 57/08s in your SE? So you might want to put them in, and I don't know whether a new wiring harness will be required, etc., if you do so. Somebody here should know.

I think they mean they drop in the complete wiring harness, thats all, its presoldered together. I mean that although they replace wires to switch etc, that the actual wires dont really matter, but the usa pots are the best.
Not sure if the switch & jack are different - these things are more a longevity

Last edited:
I like the PG bridge in S2 SC and mira, not tried neck

I think they mean they drop in the complete wiring harness, thats all, its presoldered together. I mean that although they replace wires to switch etc, that the actual wires dont really matter, but the usa pots are the best.
Not sure if the switch & jack are different - these things are more a longevity

For now, I'm leaving my Singlecut alone. Pearly Gates solved everything for me. (If I were rich, I'd get Paul's Guitar in Blood-Orange: Oh, yeah! You know you're a real man if you have a red guitar, at least that's what I tell the guy in the mirror. [He's so gullible he'll believe anything I tell him.])

Could be wrong, but I think the S2 is pretty much a Core guitar except for the pickups. Paul, at one time, which changed in 2017, said that he would never offer top-of-the-line pickups for sale separately, because they are the real attraction; that is, why buy a Core if you can put 57/08s in your SE? So you might want to put them in, and I don't know whether a new wiring harness will be required, etc., if you do so. Somebody here should know.
The S2 still has the same SE electronics.

Back