PRS with P90's

River Hill

Does PRS offer a model with P90's that is a USA version? I have seen the SE, but that is it.

Looking for a P90 guitar with a single cut. I have looked at some of the Gibbons, but the quality has been hit or miss. I might consider a double cut.

I have seen a 3-pickup CU22 with P90's at the "Danish eBay", but I can't remember the year. I do know that it wasn't a private stock, but it might have been a limited run.

Lots of ones from 5 or so years ago. 245s, McCarty single cuts an double cuts. Plenty available on the used market. To my knowledge, nothing currently offered. I did see that MAPete has a new 594 with single coils, but I think that they were aftermarket.

Check the usual suspects like Willcutts and you'll see a bunch of great examples.

Nothing new besides the SE's. The older McCarty had them in a model. I had one but sold it because my P90 loaded SE sounded better.

Due to words professional reviewers state, a 513 with the pups in clear humbucking mode goes the P90 way.

I have one now and had another, they can be found used.
I have also heard GREAT things about the "SE One" that is a single pickup P 90 guitar

Mira 245 - Killer rock machine super light weight !!!!

CU 22 Soapbar , the more I play it the more I like it
DTG neck carve , Maple neck , and wired differently from what you might think for some really interesting sounds options

They have made a few of them. If you look hard you can typically find a standard SC with P90's floating around.

And I absolutely love my SE One!!

I have a "Ted" that has had the stock pickups (Duncan P-90s, which I am not a fan of) replaced with Thorn "staples". I like it a lot. It was many years ago I had a CU 22 Soapbar. Never bonded with it. MAYBE if the pickups had been upgraded......

+1 for the Mira 245!!! They were a 25th anniversary special model. I picked mine up in minty fresh condition last winter, great guitar. Bridge pickup is a rocker, hotter than some of my humbuckers, and the neck sounds divine with gain. Definitely an odd offering for PRS, but worth looking at - they aren't exensive on the used market.

CU22 Soapbar is the one I've seen the most of aside from the McCarty Soapbars. P90s rock. Enjoy your search.

McKorina Brazzy Soapy in my house, very tasty! (That is a McCarty Korina body wood with Brazilian Rosewood fretboard, with P90 Soapbar pickups.)

Some might still be available in practically new condition from Dave's and maybe other retailers.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Mira 245 25th Anniversary here... I love mine dearly, but it still has to share time with my SE One Korina with a Thorn Staple Top upgrade... both are killer guitars...

If you have your heart set on a US-built single cut, keep an eye out for the Starla X P90... there are a few of those around, and they are generally priced pretty well used...

img_0001.jpg

Had my SEII for a few years now and it gets a lot of admiration for its sounds. It has even prompted others to purchase same model!

offsite

Also look for the KL-380 it is another little known P-90 PRS that is killer
I also saw a few P-90 equipped PRS on reverb

I do NOT have the ears of those that make those decisions, so take it with a grain of salt.....IMO, the typical Seymour Duncan P-90s used on PRS guitars are not up to the standards of the guitars they are put into. I have the same opinion about Hamers, so it is not just a PRS thing.

Now, that said, my Ted with an upgrade from stock P90s to Thorn Staples, is a standout. (I realize the "staple" pickup is a bit different than a P90, but in the same realm).

(I also have a Bernie, upgraded to Duncan P-Rails. I do not think they are the greatest pickups in the world, but with the right switching, they make for a very versatile guitar in a low cost package).

Back