PRS with 59/09s and 5 way position upgrade for split coil

macarit

Folks I am new on this neighborhood. I am very proud owner of a PRS CU 24.
I love my guitar with the actual sound flexibility with it's 59/09s and 5 blade selector but I am wondering if I can upgrade my guitar with a Split coil knob to have split possibility for positions 1 and 5...any idea if this can be made?

I love my guitar with the actual sound flexibility with it's 59/09s and 5 blade selector but I am wondering if I can upgrade my guitar with a Split coil knob to have split possibility for positions 1 and 5...any idea if this can be made?

The PTC can upgrade it to add a push-pull tone so you can get the coil splits.

Schaller also makes a 2 humbucker 5-way blade megaswitch where positions 4 and 2 are each humbucker split.

I'm considering sending my cu24 to PTC for the coil split mod. I think that would be the ultimate mod for this model.

If you're going to the PTC anyway, consider having them swap out for 85/15's.

PTC won't do the 85/15's at this time. Just checked on this very issue two days ago!

Here's a schematic I came up with that gives you what you're looking for. I planned to use it on my P22, which is why that's what's shown, but I haven't rewired it just yet. However, I have installed this same wiring setup on an SE Custom 24 with 59/09s to check that it does what I thought it would. It works really well and gives all eight possible combinations of the four coils.
CustomwiringforP22_zpscb7c77b7.jpg

You know, I always thought I would want/need split coils be after getting the new 85/15s in the 30th anniversary edition, I don't need em. The "in-between" positions are so clear and strat-like that I am fully content without actual split coils. Just my .02 =)

Thx so much for all your replies folks, I end up changing my CU24 for a Paul's Guitar...sacrified my tremolo and 2 frets...but gain my wanted independent split coil.

Thx again!

Back