PRS Wiring Mods Resource Thread

Mr. observant...

I sent another clarification reply. I didn't notice I still didn't have designations for all 4 colors plus overall shield braid for each pickup again.

It's gotta be good ole 4 colored wires at the coil beginning/ends. Can't remember if it was in this thread or another, but it seemed like there may have been some weird pickup that had a hot, partial next coil tap, one joined wire for traditional split, and an end/grnd plus the overall shield ground... Either that and the Bipolar 2 meds and memory aren't cooperating.
Dohhh... :p

I have certain idea of what it can be. It may be like the 85/15 & 58/15, where the coil split is not one joined cable but two separate wires. I'm sure this is the case. It still would be better if PRS could confirm this.
I would imagine I'll find out the 4 pole wire colors (plus shield(no orange)) for each pickup will be like 85/15 color codes posted and I'll be using this diagram of yours since it's about identical to hardware layout on the SE CU24 Floyd electrically... I'll just have to see what caps/resistors are used and how wired.

Mc-Carty-3way-Split.png

I would imagine I'll find out the 4 pole wire colors (plus shield(no orange)) for each pickup will be like 85/15 color codes posted and I'll be using this diagram of yours since it's about identical to hardware layout on the SE CU24 Floyd electrically... I'll just have to see what caps/resistors are used and how wired.

Mc-Carty-3way-Split.png
I think so. Take a picture of the electronic cavity, especially around the volume pot. Some SEs have the resistor in parallel to the volume pot, which IMO should be clipped off

I think so. Take a picture of the electronic cavity, especially around the volume pot. Some SEs have the resistor in parallel to the volume pot, which IMO should be clipped off
It's a 2019 SE CU24 Floyd I picked up in 2020 for a fun take anywhere guitar...

I think I might just assume the new metal pickups have the same color codes as the 4 wire 85/15's and let er rip. I can always desolder. I replaced the knife switch awhile back with another SE, but if the experiment doesn't work before I get a final answer, I'll gut it and order new pots, etc and start from scratch when PRS gets me all the lead info.

It's a 2019 SE CU24 Floyd I picked up in 2020 for a fun take anywhere guitar...

I think I might just assume the new metal pickups have the same color codes as the 4 wire 85/15's and let er rip. I can always desolder. I replaced the knife switch awhile back with another SE, but if the experiment doesn't work before I get a final answer, I'll gut it and order new pots, etc and start from scratch when PRS gets me all the lead info.

Yeah, give it a shot :)

Well... It makes sound... But I got a little overzealous with the digital soldering station and melted the push/pull locked pushed in with a slug of solder or something. Good time to go core grade parts and core Floyd 24 or some other fun scenario. Bye Alpha pots. What's funny is the tone pot is acting like a second volume so the 85/15 wire code might be a little off from these unless the tone push/pull overheat and solder slug caused that somehow.... LoL!!!

Last edited:
One question... I have 2022 or 2021 \m/ metal pickups... Why does the core CU24 FLOYD wiring diagram (and all custom 24 core wiring diagrams) show wiring for 3 wire pickups (maybe with shield?) When my donated core metal pickups are 4 wire plus shield braid??? And about everything in this thread shows new 85/15 pickups having 4 wire plus shield or 4 wire plus orange shield ground wires???

Are these old out of date wiring diagrams on the PRS Support site???

Jeez.

Last edited:
I'm converting the SE CU24 Floyd to 5 way super mega switch, no push pull CTS's
Same wiring I did on my PRS SE Orianthi flame years ago.
1. Bridge HB
2. Bridge Split
3. Bridge+Neck either single or HB, haven't decided, probably single for both.
4. Neck split
5. Neck HB

One question... I have 2022 or 2021 \m/ metal pickups... Why does the core CU24 FLOYD wiring diagram (and all custom 24 core wiring diagrams) show wiring for 3 wire pickups (maybe with shield?) When my donated core metal pickups are 4 wire plus shield braid??? And about everything in this thread shows new 85/15 pickups having 4 wire plus shield or 4 wire plus orange shield ground wires???

Are these old out of date wiring diagrams on the PRS Support site???

Jeez.
Hey
I am doing the same thing to my SE Custom 24 Floyd. Can’t stand the coil split in the tone so I replaced the volume and tone pots and got the PRS 5-way super switch. Having issues getting it wired up following PRS’s Custom 24 wiring diagram.
Did you have any luck figuring it out? I am using the 85-15S pickups for reference.
Thanks
Mike

Hey
I am doing the same thing to my SE Custom 24 Floyd. Can’t stand the coil split in the tone so I replaced the volume and tone pots and got the PRS 5-way super switch. Having issues getting it wired up following PRS’s Custom 24 wiring diagram.
Did you have any luck figuring it out? I am using the 85-15S pickups for reference.
Thanks
Mike
I already have a design I did years ago when I did my SE Orianthi with some Custom Wound Zhangbucker.com pickups.
They are my favorite aftermarket pickup other than the long lead time!!!

Edit- Zhangbuckers I use have hot, single wire for partial tap into next coil, and the bare shield and end of other coil lead. 3 wire with a shield. So I'll probably be doing the SD diagram I posted below our similar when my parts get here.

Last edited:
Maybe I should crudely route for a hot single coil and really have fun with these PRS \m/ pickups that I've never had in a guitar before.

Update: got out the solder sucker, undid everything, used common sense (also got lucky right away) and worked through it. There might be problems there with non-hum in a couple positions, but I think I got lucky there too. My room is pretty quiet so I won't know until I go somewhere with noise. The MTs were wired opposite and neck pickup was flipped, also think poles are reversed on one of them from something I read. For the unbuckers I just wired them opposite and used a jumper on the toggles from the hot to the split, like a three wire split. It is possible that the tech I brought it too flipped the magnet on the new pickups to match the old where one did not match. If I can figure out how I'll take a picture just to show you how nasty and atrocious my work is.. lol. I will say that the techs work was way way cleaner than the factory, just didn't work right.

I think I got what I wanted, which is a nice clear articulate tone when playing clean, definitely not dark anymore. ill know more over the next few weeks.

ORIGINAL (minus the crying): I just screwed up my special semi hollow trying to replace the MT "mud tones" with some UNbuckers. So complicated with the near field in the middle... phase stuff and all other non-standardized polarities colors and terminology. I paid a tech to do it but have phase issues in split that don't exist in Hum mode when mixed with the middle pickup (any time one toggle is flipped phase out, and in 2 and 4 phase out). I no longer know how it was wired originally but there was weird stuff going on originally to make it work from the factory with the strange way the MTs are wired and to make them play nice with the middle Narrow Field.

Last edited:

Mc-Carty-3way-Split.png

58/15LTs don't have those wire colors.

I verified the wire colors with a multimeter on the \m/ metal pickups. Sometimes ya gotta go old school... LoL
I used one of those tiny reversible bit screwdrivers with the handle of for the polarity testing.

Back