PRS Wiring Mods Resource Thread

Another thread inspired this scheme. PRS five-way blade, but with three pickups. Here are two different ways to spin it...

vIubLyP.jpg

Can anyone post a guide for swapping the volumes on a DGT? I change back and forth between other guitars quite a bit, and frequently end up adjusting the wrong volume knob due to the reversed positions.

Is there enough room on the wiring to just switch them?

If so, use a shoelace or pipe-cleaner to pull off the knobs, unscrew the retaining nut and simply swap em.

Is there enough room on the wiring to just switch them?

If so, use a shoelace or pipe-cleaner to pull off the knobs, unscrew the retaining nut and simply swap em.

Great idea, but unfortunately there's not enough slack.

This one is for adding a vintage PRS pickup and push/pull tone pot to an SE One.

i-dJbbmk4-X3.jpg

This one is for installing 4-lead PRS pickups in a guitar with McCarty switching. If my memory serves me, I made it for a set of 1985 reissue pickups.

i-vf84mWg.jpg

This one is for adding a set of TV Jones PowerTrons to your SC (with coil splitting tone pots).

i-zpx76Rg-X2.jpg

I made this is for converting a Tiny Terror from 110V to 220 or the other way around.

i-rG7pLSf-X4.jpg

And this is how the wiring flows through your PRS. This x-ray was from a 1990 LE. I can't recall if this x-ray was of mine or one @JMintzer took of his. There were 2 SIG LE x-rays floating around.

i-kDK5Cjx.jpg

I have an SE HB Piezo with 58/15 S pickups. I want to add a push-pull master coil cut, and replace pups with 57/08s. I have 2 questions:

1) 58/15 S have 4 conductor, 57/08 have 3 conductor. Am I correct in thinking they're the same phase, with essentially the N- and S+ wires of 4 conductor pre-combined into single 'tap' wire? I ask because I want to make sure the pups stay in phase with the Piezo, which doesn't have a phase switch.

2) The stock setup has pup + and - soldered to the pup selector switch. If I ground the 'tap' wire at the tone pot it will sort of create a ground loop, except there will be the 1.1k or 2.2k resistor in the path. Is that better or worse than routing extra wire and grounding everything at the same point?

Here's the stock wiring harness (I know pups are not in proper orientation, didn't think about that for the pic.)

160832245_10226415291751803_3742850557008743305_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have an SE HB Piezo with 58/15 S pickups. I want to add a push-pull master coil cut, and replace pups with 57/08s. I have 2 questions:

1) 58/15 S have 4 conductor, 57/08 have 3 conductor. Am I correct in thinking they're the same phase, with essentially the N- and S+ wires of 4 conductor pre-combined into single 'tap' wire? I ask because I want to make sure the pups stay in phase with the Piezo, which doesn't have a phase switch.

2) The stock setup has pup + and - soldered to the pup selector switch. If I ground the 'tap' wire at the tone pot it will sort of create a ground loop, except there will be the 1.1k or 2.2k resistor in the path. Is that better or worse than routing extra wire and grounding everything at the same point?

Here's the stock wiring harness (I know pups are not in proper orientation, didn't think about that for the pic.)

160832245_10226415291751803_3742850557008743305_n.jpg

1. You are correct about the tap wire. If the 57/08's end up being out of phase with the piezo, you can just reverse the hot/ground leads on the 57/08's.

2. The way you described is fine. Resistors connect to the body of the push/pull, then a wire runs from there to the back of the volume pot for ground continuity.

Got a question. I want to convert my SE three way blade switch/push pull pot to a 5-way blade switch. Other than the pricey 5-way PRS switch, what other switch would work?

Got a question. I want to convert my SE three way blade switch/push pull pot to a 5-way blade switch. Other than the pricey 5-way PRS switch, what other switch would work?

I did this a while back with a little twist. First, I personally love Mojotone's house brand switches. Great price and they spec them to be comparable to Oak Grigsby switches, which are generally considered the best. From there, I decided I had to have the PRS switch tip, so i very carefully filed both sides of the switch tip until the PRS tip would slide on. I put a tiny piece of masking tape on the end before sliding the tip on to make the fit a little tighter. Worked like a charm and looked great with the added bonus of coming in way under the cost of a PRS-branded switch.

Yeah I already have the switch tip. I can’t believe such a little part can change the feeling of a knife switch. Something I was never a fan of.

Standard super switch works fine. I particularly like the narrow version from Toneshapers because the normal ones are unnecessarily wide IMO.

Depending on what you want, you can also get one of the Schaller Megaswitch models that's easier to wire up for certain preset positions.

Can someone help me with a push/pull wiring on the tone knob of a Brent Mason to get the two outer pickups at the same time. I want to keep switch and toggles as is just want to be able to get both Bridge and Neck pickup together.

Can someone help me with a push/pull wiring on the tone knob of a Brent Mason to get the two outer pickups at the same time. I want to keep switch and toggles as is just want to be able to get both Bridge and Neck pickup together.

Here's a good resource on that: https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/...-for-your-strat-tele-les-paul-and-super-strat

It's a common mod in the Strat world. On a PRS, you would just run the red wires shown below from the blade to one side of your push/pull.

image.jpg

Back