PRS vs Ibanez J-Custom

Gyakuto

https://flic.kr/p/2k1FjT
https://flic.kr/p/2k7B4Zo
https://flic.kr/p/2k7B6j2

My PRS is a bit of a departure from my usual style of guitar and I decided to get my J-Custom out to assess the differences between the two beauties.

1. The J Custom has such a thin neck (super wizard)! I didn’t realise how thin until playing it after the PRS who’s neck (Pattern regular) is much more substantial. The Ibanez neck ‘puts your fingers on the fretboard’ and so lends itself to shredding whereas the PRS is a more, ‘thumb-over-the-neck’ style playing.

2. The Ibanez is huge (I’m not a large person) and heavy whereas the PRS it a nicer smaller size and lighter. The angled input jack is much better placed than the PRS’s straight-out-the-side style and means you don’t have to buy angles cables, I suppose.

3. The J Custom pick ups are more scooped sounding whereas the PRS is fuller, more middy.

4. Harmonics just pop out of the J Custom with no effort whereas they have to be carefully coaxed out of the PRS.

That’s about all I can think of. I’m leaning towards preferring the PRS but I’m wishing I had bought one loaded with a Floyd Rose so I can perform whammy bar histrionics, but the PRS hasn’t failed me yet in terms of tuning.

Interesting comparison. The J-Craft JS1200 is a completely different animal than what you’re referencing, but there are several similarities to PRS (my CU24) that address your post.

First, build quality is stunning on both. So much attention to detail. The neck on the PRS is always the best of breed, but the JS1200’s is a meticulous build to Joe’s specs, which are more vintage leaning. Nothing close to a Wizard carve, which is not my cup of tea. Finish is perfect on both. Electronics on the PRS get the edge since I don’t like the non-Switchcraft pup selector that they use. Otherwise, the pickups in the JS1200, when matched with the rest of the guitar, are spectacularly responsive and moldable to whatever genre you wish...and I’ve tried them all! The CU24 is just as flexible but also accepting of pup changes to expand that genre hopping. The JS could take pup alternatives, obviously, but it it so perfect, it never crossed my mind.

Playability: both have stellar fret dressing and are instantly comfortable. This is what you’re paying for with hand made instruments.

Being perfectly honest, the PRS is the prettiest, by far. The JS is a Strat-thing but possibly the best one on the planet. PRS doesn’t stray into this exact territory, which is why I have no problem mentioning it.

With all this said, there’s a reason why there’s a half a dozen PRSi and one Ibanez in my house. It’s just that the one that’s there is really really good. You don’t need to listen to me yammering on more about my PRSi that I dearly love.

Last edited:
What kind of music do you like to play, Boogie? I should imagine that influences ones preferences in guitars. I’m into Steve Vai/John Petrucci/Yngwie Malmsteen and Satch’s early works, so I favour ‘shredder’ guitars. The PRS is a departure from my usual fair and I have to say, I really like it.

What kind of music do you like to play, Boogie? I should imagine that influences ones preferences in guitars. I’m into Steve Vai/John Petrucci/Yngwie Malmsteen and Satch’s early works, so I favour ‘shredder’ guitars. The PRS is a departure from my usual fair and I have to say, I really like it.
I’m all over the map. Historically, I’ve played in cover bands...hard rock, classic rock (now, wasn’t then), country, 50s/60s vintage rock, you name it. Now I’m in a - as best as I can categorize it - prog rock originals trio/quartet and I’m reaching out way beyond my comfort zone. I lean toward the harder side but dip a toe into the more melodic trippy stuff. Did I mention the harder stuff with whammy bar stupidity? Yeah, there’s that. So, it’s a far cry from the Turtles or Jason Aldeen.

Don’t get me wrong...love me some Vai/Petrucci/Satch...in fact, I *might* rip any one of them off on a regular basis. ;)

Back