PRS vs Collings for Bluegrass?

88prs

OCD for PRS
I've never seen a PRS at a festival and never had a chance to play one. I know they are only PS now but...

Ricky Skaggs endorses them so they have to be awesome.

Anyone play bluegrass?

these days I see Martins, Collings, Pre War and Preston Thompson guitars onstage with the occasional Santa Cruz. Last time I saw Tony McManus he was warming up with bluegrass shred on his PRS.

I play my PRS SE acoustics at folk/bluegrass/celtic festivals. A few of my music festival colleagues have Collins - they like them for their brightness and loudness, but will admit in the studio they tend to use other, more traditional brands like Martin.

I'd be all over an affordable PRS core acoustic, but they tried that once and it didn't stick, so I guess I'll play my SEs until I can justify buying a used (old) Core or maybe used PS.

I'll sling a bluegrass tune or two on occasion. Gruhn has or had a PRS acoustic last time I was there. Sounded great but was HEAVY and quite expensive. Less "sparkle" than a D-28 style but very nicely balanced tone across the spectrum and it plays much better than those V necks hardcore bluegrass pickers (I'd call them grassholes) prefer.

So, are you asking only about PRS Acoustic guitars?

I just have never got to play a PRS acoustic although they look spectacular as all PRS do. and would love to own one but never got to play one. I guess maybe I miss led as just bluegrass,, that's just what's mostly around here.

I just have never got to play a PRS acoustic although they look spectacular as all PRS do. and would love to own one but never got to play one. I guess maybe I miss led as just bluegrass,, that's just what's mostly around here.
I’ve never played one either. When I saw Paul he brought one and challenged 3 guys to go pick the best acoustics in the store and he’d compare them to the one he brought. The clowns didn’t choose any Taylors (which sound better now than then anyway) but brought 3 Gibson and Martin guitars that all costed over $5K. The PRS CLEARLY blew them all away and it really wasn’t even close. Several guys tried the “but this one in the store doesn’t sound as good as mine” stuff, but really, we all just knew.

I've had both a Core PRS acoustic from about 2012 and a PS PRS acoustic, as well as two Collings, Two high end Martins, and a few Taylors, Larrivees, etc.

I like the PRS a lot better, and sold my Collings. I stopped buying Martins around 2000 or so. Not a fan of Taylors, though I thought they were cool for a short time, they didn't record as well in my hands.

The PRS are made a little heavier - as are the Collings, by the way - and that's for a reason. The theory behind the PRS acoustics is that the sides and backs are built a bit heavier so that the vibration is concentrated on the top, which is essentially an acoustic guitar's "soundboard" in piano terms.

This is what gives the PRS acoustics more projection and volume than most guitars. When my son, (who's recorded several gold records) heard my PS, he was floored, and said, "It sounds like a freaking grand piano!" He also kids me that the only guitars I own that he wants to inherit are my PS acoustic and my Hammer Of The Gods McCarty Singlecut.

However, the PRS acoustics are also capable of great subtlety. If you listen to Tony McManus' Mysterious Boundaries, you'll hear exactly what the Core/PS models are capable of, because it is beautifully recorded and sounds just like the guitar in the room.

Both my Core and PS PRS acoustics work better for me than anything else I've ever played, including some of the big names in handmade acoustic guitars.

My feeling is that any "cannon" like a PRS is excellent for Bluegrass.

I haven't had any time on an SE acoustic, however, so I can't give an opinion on those models.

Back