CB93D

Hello everybody,

Do you think it’s realistic to expect bird inlays back in the Vela model? I’ve been expecting for years for them to make a comeback on the model, or at least to include them in an upgraded version. Maybe a CE version? At some point I made peaces with the possibility of them not coming back (as another thread on the forum explains) so I was thinking on taking the leap to the CE 24, but the pattern thin is really not my cup of tea. (Or maybe CE with pattern/ pattern regular?) I like the S2 Vela so much, and with bird inlays it would be a no brainer for me. Really hope a miracle happens and this year we can hear about them again.

Thanks for anybody’s inputs,
Peace

I doubt it. I'd love to have another with birds, but they don't come up used too often...especially since I only want sunburst!! I don't dig the white dots, and if I get another I'll probably replace them with maple dots....or maybe something darker.

I totally get you, and yeah what’s for some it’s not for others. But tbh, I’m setting my mind on having the dot inlays, I don’t dislike them, but bird inlays and PRS together are The match. But the guitar shape? Just wow, I think Paul was thinking of me when he designed it (lol jk). I know offset models are not for everyone, but when I saw the Vela, I really can’t put it into words…

I was the opposite and had a couple chances for birds on a vela but passed. I think the dots fit well with the vela style. Don't get me wrong I like birds but also like to mix it up. We all have an idea of what we want and satin semi hollow was important to me.

They may bring birds back with velas growing popularity, but I wouldn't think it would be during this time when they're still trying to catch up.

Yeah you have a good point there. And not having the birds is not a deal breaker for me at all. But I didn’t hurt to ask in case there were plans of bringing them back right? As I said, when I first saw I just knew that one was for me (and when I first saw it it had dots). I’m just waiting to put my hands in actual guitar to finally pull the trigger, in the guitar shops near me they don’t have one, and to feel how it plays before buying it is a must (being honest here, I’ve just read the CE’s wide thin pattern is a lot thinner, and some people find it awkward, but until I test it in my own hands, I’m not fully discarding it either, it’s just that with what you can find online and the pictures of it ofc, the Vela is astonishing). Thanks for the input, and I think you are completely right pointing out that dots, in this precise model, are beautiful as well

Yeah you have a good point there. And not having the birds is not a deal breaker for me at all. But I didn’t hurt to ask in case there were plans of bringing them back right? As I said, when I first saw I just knew that one was for me (and when I first saw it it had dots). I’m just waiting to put my hands in actual guitar to finally pull the trigger, in the guitar shops near me they don’t have one, and to feel how it plays before buying it is a must (being honest here, I’ve just read the CE’s wide thin pattern is a lot thinner, and some people find it awkward, but until I test it in my own hands, I’m not fully discarding it either, it’s just that with what you can find online and the pictures of it ofc, the Vela is astonishing). Thanks for the input, and I think you are completely right pointing out that dots, in this precise model, are beautiful as well

Vela is one of my favorite guitars, everything about it really. The neck is super comfortable. I was the opposite of you, I had several WT neck PRS and was hesitant to go with a S2 pattern regular carve. For me bouncing between the two is no big deal, and if I had to pick one I'd take the regular. The vela really is fantastic. Either way good luck!

I’m not ashamed at all of the fact that the bird inlays were/are a big selling point for me when it came to looking seriously at PRS guitars. Now, being honest- I’d NEVER played an electric before picking up the PRS I eventually bought. So I was coming at it from a purely aesthetic, consumer-oriented place. The birds are beautiful and they do a lot to push the looks of the guitar straight over the cliff for me. And I was delighted that the PRS I ended up buying (the 245 SE) felt the absolute best of the guitars I tried. That’s when playability became a real big deal for me. But the birds are what hooked me at first.

I have to say, the birds kicked me right over that first look. I knew what a PRS was, just had never seen one that close in person. It wasn't a Vela (with birds) that the player had (looking back I'd say it was a Custom 24-08), but had it been, it would have tipped me right over to want one anyway. Never thought that later that year I'd actually own one, even though it's not a high end model. The word "iconic" comes to mind. Just as LP's have the trapezoid inlays, they just "belong" IMO. Not saying the dots are bad, it's just how the birds strike a chord (no pun intended, well, maybe) with me.

Something I just thought of is I'm basing my view on multiple PRS. If I was only after a single PRS I could see birds being a decision factor, it was for me. What I didn't know is how dang addictive PRS are and how quickly they multiply. Luckily, PRS does so many cool things with the inlays I now look for variety. Though, I still think the Vela's style just works with dots.

I never gave it any thought. Prior to buying my Vela I watched many video's of the Vela where some had the bird inlays and some didn't. I just figured it was a cost cutting measure on PRS's part to stay within a certain price point. Mine has the dotted inlays and I think it suits the guitar rather well. If it came with the birds that would have been fine but the dots are fine too. Wasn't a deal breaker for me.

No binding, dotted inlays....nice, simple classic look.

I think the shape of every PRS is above the other brands. I don’t care about dots, moons, birds, 10 tops, sunburst, solid, bright, dark, (although blue is better). The way they look, feel, and sound just puts me over the moon. I’m a totally unashamed fanboy. They’re all good, some are just better than others in your hands.

I still say SE birds should be flipped with the S2/CE birds. The white plastic does look “cheap” compared to its brethren.

My personal take on the Standard (all mahogany) S2 Velas, Custom 22, 24 is that Paul and the gang are trying to keep those guitars in the $1399 price range for the working musician (we are working?) , and folks that just can’t spend or justify spending 2 or 3 times that , but are still getting a USA PRS that is in the price range of the vulnerable SG, but getting a far superior and versatile electric . Maybe the birds would have to push them up in price to much. Just my ramblin thoughts… Ramblin on my Mind…….

Back