PRS USA Nut... In Ivory or Bone?

GoBeavs68

Just picked up a used CU22 and have decided to spruce it up with ivory pup rings and tuner buttons. Adding an ivory or bone nut would further add to this facelift.

Sadly, I can’t get a 594 nut from Paul, so short of cutting a bone nut from scratch, are there any known options for “drop in” nuts for USA models?

All my searches bring up results for SEs.

From experience, PRS make their replacements in a dark colour for core models. For example, ACC - 4204 (wide thin/fat) and ACC - 4206 (regular), depending on your neck measurements. See website for dimensions.

If you want a bone nut, it may not keep in tune in the same way a PRS propriety nut does, with its self lubricating properties (angels tears and pixie dust;)).

That said, the Silver Sky has a bone nut and there has been no complaints with regard that instrument staying in tune!

Bone blanks are cheap enough on auction sites, that you could experiment with one and report back to us on how you got on. With pictures of course!

Happy hunting.

Always wondered if there were gotchas in replacing a compensated PRS nut with a bone nut.

To piggy-back off what Alnus said, if you don't want to try to do it yourself, any competent luthier should be able to install and properly file a bone nut to fit.

Good news, we will be selling bone nuts in the near future. We are currently revamping the parts and accessories department, so we should be offer a lot of cool new things including the Silver Sky cases and gig bags as well as replacement bone nuts. We'll list it all online as these parts become available.

Good news, we will be selling bone nuts in the near future. We are currently revamping the parts and accessories department, so we should be offer a lot of cool new things including the Silver Sky cases and gig bags as well as replacement bone nuts. We'll list it all online as these parts become available.

Best news ever. As you know, I've been waiting to put a bone nut on my Ted.

For bone, just take your guitar to a talented luthier and they will custom cut you one. It won't be prohibitively expensive and the cost will include a setup.

If you're more of a DIYer, lots of places make pre-slotted bone nuts. Look for something "Gibson style" and check the measurements. You may have to do some massaging with sand paper and files, though, to get the fit, height, and slots right. I don't have the patience for that, which is why I leave it up to a skilled luthier.

Mojotone seems to make a nice one: http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...Pre-Shaped-and-Pre-Slotted-Bone-Nut-12-Radius. I've bought one from Guitar Fetish that was surprisingly nice.

I've read this before, but thought I should just say now what I thought then:

PRS is really hitting on all cylinders. A revamp of the store is probably the one thing that seems so minor, yet can make things so much better. Up to now the store has been "good", but being able to offer stuff like bone nuts and the JM gig bag etc will be awesome!

Any chance the SE Bass gig bag will be offered? I bought a Kingfisher used, without the bag, and while I use a (generic non-PRS) hard case that fits really well for it, I wonder whether I will one day want to use a gig bag...

That is great news!

Just to be clear, I’m not hung up on the material or bone. This is purely for a look. I could take it to a local tech, but I’m competent enough with setups that I can install it myself, but would rather not have to cut the slots from a blank (because... why?)

If PRS is making a direct drop replacement, that is perfect and I’ll be happy to wait, especially because I love keeping me PRS guitars “pure” PRS.

Thanks again Shawn!

I've read this before, but thought I should just say now what I thought then:

PRS is really hitting on all cylinders. A revamp of the store is probably the one thing that seems so minor, yet can make things so much better. Up to now the store has been "good", but being able to offer stuff like bone nuts and the JM gig bag etc will be awesome!

Any chance the SE Bass gig bag will be offered? I bought a Kingfisher used, without the bag, and while I use a (generic non-PRS) hard case that fits really well for it, I wonder whether I will one day want to use a gig bag...

I don't see that the SE Bass bags being offered for sale through the store, but I heard some talk of offering some extra SE gig bags for sale at Experience. Maybe there'll be a couple bass bags offered in that batch?

That is great news!

Just to be clear, I’m not hung up on the material or bone. This is purely for a look. I could take it to a local tech, but I’m competent enough with setups that I can install it myself, but would rather not have to cut the slots from a blank (because... why?)

If PRS is making a direct drop replacement, that is perfect and I’ll be happy to wait, especially because I love keeping me PRS guitars “pure” PRS.

Thanks again Shawn!

Since you're not committed to true bone, another option is Graphtech Tusq. You can get them pre-cut.

For bone, just take your guitar to a talented luthier and they will custom cut you one. It won't be prohibitively expensive and the cost will include a setup.

If you're more of a DIYer, lots of places make pre-slotted bone nuts. Look for something "Gibson style" and check the measurements. You may have to do some massaging with sand paper and files, though, to get the fit, height, and slots right. I don't have the patience for that, which is why I leave it up to a skilled luthier.

Mojotone seems to make a nice one: http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...Pre-Shaped-and-Pre-Slotted-Bone-Nut-12-Radius. I've bought one from Guitar Fetish that was surprisingly nice.

That is great news!

Thanks again Shawn!

Yeah I was gonna say. Its just nice to keep it pure PRS. Also, it's a lot easier to buy it on the internet, get it shipped and slap it on myself in a few minutes.

Yeah but the nut is such a key part of the setup. If the slots are too high, too low, or not cut right for your strings, then you have a problem. It takes time to get it right, though I'm sure the PRS nuts make it a little easier.

Yeah but the nut is such a key part of the setup. If the slots are too high, too low, or not cut right for your strings, then you have a problem. It takes time to get it right, though I'm sure the PRS nuts make it a little easier.

This. I’ve swapped out nuts on my guitars here and there for years. Never had any nut slot files. Just winged it with sandpaper and such. Bought a set a couple of months ago. Man what a difference. Getting the nut right is 90% of how a guitar feels. At least imo. So even if you opt on waiting for the PRS nut, I’d still have it done by a luthier. I’d even recommend buying the files if you’re inclined. But I would swap out the nut on a different guitar first.

I am still hoping for the nut that will never be offered again... A white 513 nut... :(

Hi Shawn, so has the bone nut become available as a part yet? I don’t see it on the site.

Back