PRS UPGRADE

vashondan

I recently purchased an SE 30th Anniversary which I love. Great to play, feels good...I'm changing pickups and installing some Railhammers. My question involves the future. When I look into the crystal ball I see another PRS in my future and would like it to be a step up but can't afford 3000+. What would your suggestions be new or used. I'm not ready to buy but would like to start surveying the landscape. Thanks

You could find a nice intermediate-priced instrument in an S2 Mira or Starla for something different from the CU24, or an S2 SC for a bit more of that LP vibe, or an older (used) core model - CEs and core Miras/Starlas go for about the same as a new S2 Mira, for example. Or even a used Core CU24 can be found for not too much more, for a non-10-top and maybe no birds (but sometimes birds are found on affordable interuments too!). The key with a used instrument is not mind a little wear-and-tear, like a bit of belt-buckle rash.

If you want new, then the S2 line is pretty well your only hope.

Yup, new S2 or used core model would be exactly what I would suggest. The only thing I'd add is that core models aren't usually advertised as core models, so you kind of have to figure out what it is through cancellation (I.E. if it's not SE, S2, or private stock, then it's a core model, and core models are divided up into artist package, wood library, and ...<nothing>).

PRSses also tend to retain their value better, so if you're the kind of person that tries by buying, they're a good choice. Just don't expect to get new prices, even for mint gear. I heartily endorse buying used. Of course, I don't always practice what I preach -- most of the last several PRSses I bought were new.

You can get a lot of cool stuff used in $1000-1600 range. Do your research on what things are selling for and be patient for the right one. Would be wise to hit music stores while saving up so you know what you like and don't like. There's a WIDE range of tones out there in PRS land. What type of tone you're after would be helpful for people to suggest specific models for you to try. Trem or no, etc.

You can get a lot of cool stuff used in $1000-1600 range. Do your research on what things are selling for and be patient for the right one. Would be wise to hit music stores while saving up so you know what you like and don't like. There's a WIDE range of tones out there in PRS land. What type of tone you're after would be helpful for people to suggest specific models for you to try. Trem or no, etc.

Great advice!

Back