PRS Tung Oil or Fretboard Conditioner advice please

Jo-

f-hole lover
Hiya, I know there have been a million and one threads on rosewood care, but has anyone here used the PRS Tung Oil for their rosewood fretboard or necks?
I was under the impression that tung oil (pure) would actually coat a waterproof finish on the wood depending how many layers you apply.
Is the PRS Tung Oil 100% pure? Will it eventually apply a finish after many uses?

I was mainly wondering for my rosewood necked guitars, as my hands sweat a lot I tend to wash the wood rather than it building up a natural sheen from use, so a couple of my fretboards seem a bit dry.

Or would the fretboard conditioner be a better solution?

There are a lot of good conditioners on the market but I can not speak specifically to Rosewood care compared to other woods. I have been using Dr. Ducks Ax Wax and this bottle is not even half gone after more than 5 years of use on a dozen guitars (including one BRW fretboard). That said, be careful because over use of any of them can lead to the wood surrounding the frets to become saturated, and then the frets will start to sprout (I think that is the term). Point is, ONLY when it needs it! If it does not seem dry, it probably does not need it!

That said, be careful because over use of any of them can lead to the wood surrounding the frets to become saturated, and then the frets will start to sprout (I think that is the term).
Interesting perspective…
I was under the assumption fret sprout is caused by the wood being too dry, thus shrinkage occurs.
The metal frets however, stay the same size.
Can you explain your reasoning?

Interesting perspective…
I was under the assumption fret sprout is caused by the wood being too dry, thus shrinkage occurs.
The metal frets however, stay the same size.
Can you explain your reasoning?
It my understanding that the wood, if saturated (which can happen if too much oil is used and/or not wiped off after it sinks in where necessary) becomes soft, allowing the frets to rise out of the groove in the fretboard. Maybe it is not called fret sprouting, but the frets can rise up if the wood becomes saturated in the areas around the frets. Kind of like a wood rot. I am sure a simple google search can drum up some information on that topic, but that is what I read as recently as last year, and it made sense to me. Point is, only condition when wood seems dry, and be sure to wipe off excess, otherwise it can seep down into those grooves and rot the wood there from saturation.

It my understanding that the wood, if saturated (which can happen if too much oil is used and/or not wiped off after it sinks in where necessary) becomes soft, allowing the frets to rise out of the groove in the fretboard. Maybe it is not called fret sprouting, but the frets can rise up if the wood becomes saturated in the areas around the frets. Kind of like a wood rot. I am sure a simple google search can drum up some information on that topic, but that is what I read as recently as last year, and it made sense to me. Point is, only condition when wood seems dry, and be sure to wipe off excess, otherwise it can seep down into those grooves and rot the wood there from saturation.
This is the truth - I've read the same info from various sources, and they all say the same thing: Don't over oil your fret board. I don't know if it's called fret sprouting or not (sounds good to me though) but the condition is for real. Rub a drop into the wood and wipe dry, don't let it set in. And perform this fret cleaning/conditioning only when needed. Depends on your climate, but couple times a year or so per year max is what I remember. So in review, it's OK to sprout wood, but don't sprout frets.

I've mentioned this several times, but it's fun to talk about this maintenance stuff, so...

If I recall correctly, the fretboard conditioner ('lemon oil') is scented naphtha. It's the same stuff dry cleaners use to clean stains out of your clothing. It's wonderful for cleaning the surface of the rosewood, but don't leave it on. It should be wiped off after use, because it's a petroleum product and can eventually soften the wood. I think this is what Moondog was talking about. Use too much, and you can actually cut a groove into the rosewood with your fingernails (yeah, been there, done it).

It appears to add oil to the surface, but that's simply drawing the oil OUT of the wood and sticking it on the surface; when that oil evaporates, your guitar's rosewood board is actually drier.

With my own RW neck PRSes in the past (I've owned several), wiping down a rosewood neck with fretboard conditioner does not act as a moisture barrier, and that the necks still feel a little bit "furry" after a few plays.

PRS used to recommend a furniture polish after cleaning with the fretboard conditioner. When I got my first PS I marveled at the slick finish they used on the ebony fretboards, and asked how they achieved it (this was 2013). At the time they were using boiled linseed oil and polishing it, after cleaning with the lemon oil. It was truly a lovely surface that lasted a long time.

Tung oil dries to a hard finish on the surface and resists moisture. I haven't asked PRS about whether to use it on a rosewood neck, so please don't take my word for it, I'd call them for verification. But it seems it might be worth a shot to solve your problem. Let's put it this way: If I had a RW neck PRS at this time, I'd try it, even at the risk that it wouldn't work, the caveat being that I could be making a big mistake! ;)

I have a tung oil finish on the maple edges of my studio furniture. I've only had to redo the area where my hands rest and rub once in the 29 years since my brother and I built it, and that was earlier this year. See pic below.

On the other hand, the stuff I used has the look of a slightly glossy clear coat finish, but that may be because I used Minwax' Tung Oil, and not a different type. I have no idea whether the Minwax finish is pure tung oil or something else. But I can say it's pretty darn hard-wearing and impervious to moisture. I’d use it again, it looks great.

This is a pic of the studio workstation area and the furniture we built and finished; the maple edging is what I’m talking about. After 29 years it certainly has held up well. The surfaces are the maple edging, black painted oak, and the tops are black satin Formica. we fabricated the legs from steel square and rectangular tubing and welded and painted it. We did this because we were lunatics! But...29 years so far? Not too shabby! :)

kO7IzbU.jpg

Last edited:
Here's why I like Music Nomad's F1 cleaner/conditioner (this is from their site):

F-ONE gives wood its life back. F-ONE is formulated using a complex mixture of the finest ultra refined tree and seed oils to clean, condition & protect your fretboard/fingerboard. 100% free of any lemon oil extracts, waxes, petroleum distillates, silicone, and water. We chose not to use any lemon oil because it contains d-limonene, which is a strong solvent that is used to remove paint and glue. In addition, we believe the high acidity levels of lemon oil can dry out the fretboard over time and require more frequent fretboard care. F-ONE leaves your fretboard looking new, playing great and feeling smooth, never sticky or tacky. Our revolutionary formula penetrates & conditions the wood to dry fast and give it a new look for months. We use 100% naturally produced oils and is safe on all unfinished rosewood, ebony and maple fretboards. F-ONE oil is preferred by some of the most respected repair shops in the world.

This is the truth - I've read the same info from various sources, and they all say the same thing: Don't over oil your fret board. I don't know if it's called fret sprouting or not (sounds good to me though) but the condition is for real. Rub a drop into the wood and wipe dry, don't let it set in. And perform this fret cleaning/conditioning only when needed. Depends on your climate, but couple times a year or so per year max is what I remember. So in review, it's OK to sprout wood, but don't sprout frets.

So to surmise, don’t use too much tung because it may cause softening of the wood. Always wipe off excess to prevent this.

Oiling your wood should be done sparingly.

Swelling wood is ok, but shrinkage is bad.

Despite Les’ lack of string changes he likes to talk about wood maintenance.

Just wait till we start talking about nut maintenance and wanging!

So to surmise, don’t use too much tung because it may cause softening of the wood. Always wipe off excess to prevent this.

Yes. Treat your wood like you treat your wood.

Last edited:

Bahahahaha!

You're SO naughty, Mr. Alnus.

<snip>

Tung oil dries to a hard finish on the surface and resists moisture. I haven't asked PRS about whether to use it on a rosewood neck, so please don't take my word for it, I'd call them for verification. But it seems it might be worth a shot to solve your problem. Let's put it this way: If I had a RW neck PRS at this time, I'd try it, even at the risk that it wouldn't work, the caveat being ..... <snip.
@LSchefman PRS actually makes a product called 'Tung Oil' for fretboards. This is why I was asking. As far as know from my few bits of furniture I've made and finished using minwax Tung Oil (which is not 100% pure) .. after a few coats it puts a lovely shiny finish on the wood. It's waterproof, and food grade safe (the 100% stuff not sure if minwax's stuff is food safe) but they use it for bar counter tops because it is so hardy and waterproof.

That's why I'm having a bit of confusion and why I was asking specifically about the PRS Tung Oil. The bottle does not say if it's 100% or what it's contents are. I just can't imagine over the years say putting on a coat of tung oil every year, it would have to eventually form into a hard finish eh? Is it really safe or appropriate for a rosewood fretboard or neck?

Hence my confusion.

@LSchefman PRS actually makes a product called 'Tung Oil' for fretboards. This is why I was asking. As far as know from my few bits of furniture I've made and finished using minwax Tung Oil (which is not 100% pure) .. after a few coats it puts a lovely shiny finish on the wood. It's waterproof, and food grade safe (the 100% stuff not sure if minwax's stuff is food safe) but they use it for bar counter tops because it is so hardy and waterproof.

That's why I'm having a bit of confusion and why I was asking specifically about the PRS Tung Oil. The bottle does not say if it's 100% or what it's contents are. I just can't imagine over the years say putting on a coat of tung oil every year, it would have to eventually form into a hard finish eh? Is it really safe or appropriate for a rosewood fretboard or neck?

Hence my confusion.
Oh, I know they make PRS Tung oil. I have no idea about the answer. Being me, I'd give PRS a call to discuss. Nothing to lose by trying that.

But being me, I might just wing it if the guitar wasn't a private stock model.

That was some fiiiiiiine jokesmithing there Mr. Alnus! Bravo!!

I might just wing it if the guitar wasn't a private stock model.
LS is a Private Stockist!

Back