PRS Tremonti: Fixed vs Tremolo Bridge

Headset

Guitarrista
Hi everybody! I created this account as I'm about to finally buy the guitar I've lusted after for ten years...the Tremonti Core model

However, all the guitars I currently own have fixed bridges. I've never owned a tremolo equipped guitar but I've always wanted to. I just started doing research and I'm reading a ton of info about how double stop bends and bends played against open strings are difficult with a tremolo equipped guitar. Apparently you can put pressure on the bridge with your hand, bend (if it's a fretted note) the normally unbent string a little or even tighten springs to avoid or eliminate this issue. I've even read up on installing a Tremol-No.

I do use a lot of bending in my playing but I've noticed Tremonti does too and I don't hear any tuning issues when he does it. I'd really appreciate if anyone could chime in with their PRS tremolo experiences and if you own a Tremonti did you go fixed bridge or tremolo?

Thanks!

By their design, any floating tremolo will drop the other strings flat when you bend a note. In practice, you probably won't notice it unless you are really extreme or are doing a lot of faux pedal steel kind of double/triple stop bends. If it bothers you, you can try one of the remedies you mentioned.

I know some guys complain about it, but I haven't had any issues on any of my floating trems and I bend a lot

I'll throw out names of two guys who don't seem to have any issues:

David Grissom
Brent Mason

I'd go trem. Plus the Tremonti has the uprout, which makes for great whammy fun.

Thanks for the input so far! From both your accounts it seems like the PRS tremolo is pretty stable. I saw a video online of somebody demoing the out of tune bending effect on a fender and the note went flat by like 3 semitones which was ridiculous. Very good point about the pros not having issues Garret, many thanks.

My Tremonti core is great. Stable neck and rarely needs tuning but on mine the trem does cause it to detune slightly under string bending (g string is the worst). It's not an issue though.

A simple dip of the bar brings it back into tune.. I think most players, after a while, learn to do this instinctively so they don't notice any tuning issues. Or they use the trem enough that the guitar is constantly being put back in tune.

In my view though it's still the best non locking solution, sounds great, feels good under the palm. My only complaint with the bridge, at least on my guitar, is excessive spring noise that I can hear through my high gain amps when playing palm muted staccato type riffs. Must get some padding in there.

I use my prs trem pretry aggressivly and MOST of the time I don't have any issues.

If you have another guitar in the band, drop D with a trem will cause you to be out of tune with the othe guitar enough to hear it.

I use my prs trem pretry aggressivly and MOST of the time I don't have any issues.

If you have another guitar in the band, drop D with a trem will cause you to be out of tune with the othe guitar enough to hear it.

Thanks for contributing to the thread! When you say drop d do you mean just tuning the low string and not fixing the rest or are you saying the trem will go out of tune even after you've retuned the entire guitar?

The trem up route is the bomb diggity. Eventually, I plan on having it done on a couple of other PRS.

If you're setup and intonation is for standard tuning, and you tune to drop D, the entire tension of the bridge becomes affected. Thus, even after retuning properly in drop D, your intonation may be slightly off because your bridge is now pitched ever so slightly backwards. (the tension of the trem springs pulls the bridge back more because in drop D, you have less tension). That's why they make trem stoppers/tremel-no, etc. These devices do make it quicker for going from standard tuning to drop D on trem equipped guitars but... you lose benefits of the trem up route on the Tremonti. :eek:

Ah OK! Thanks very much for the clarification. It seems like there's a lot to keep in mind with a floating tremolo

No worries...,just be like everyone else here:
Buy multiple PRSi and keep one properly tuned for standard, one tuned for drop D, one for 1/2 step down, one for every other Tuesday, a day time one, a night time one...

In all seriousness, I forgot to mention the Tremelo black box. It's a trem "stopper" but has a secondary spring that does allow a little trem up. Probably good for wagglin'....not dimebag squeals.
I was going to install it on my Tremonti SE but ran into an issue once I switched to the Mann 2000NOS bridge... the 6 Mann trem screws are longer than the SE screws and they came thru the backside of the trem cavity ever so slightly and so there's not smooth mounting place for the black box. The improvement in tone was worth the sacrifice. I just use another guitar for the one drop D tune needing a whammy (Beat It!)

Hahaha thanks for all the details! I have two other electrics and I have no doubt this won't be my only prs guitar. Good call with the black box. I'm also seeing other devices like the Mag-Lok. I think I'll go tremolo because even if I don't jive with it stock there's so much I can do with it where as a fixed bridge will always be fixed...

I've 3 trem equipped PRS's. In all of them I've put about a 5mm block of wood between the trem block and the body, with double sided tape. I've then tightened the screws a bit on the spring clamp.

This means the trem is "down only", but your issue is solved because the spring pressure is high enough to stop the bridge lifting during bends.

I've found the PRS bridge better than floyds in this respect anyway.

PRS makes a good trem system, no doubt. If you are going to be changing tunings, string gauges, etc it is going to be a lot easier to go fixed bridge. I happen to prefer the old school Tremonti guitars and wish they still made them like they used to (fat neck). The trem version current design is great with the trem up as stated. I just like a fatter neck than their production size. Either way, you are getting a great guitar. One will just be a bit more work to maintain than the other.

Thanks Pete and Bogner! I appreciate all the input.

Pete, did you block the trem for tuning stability or just personal preference? I'm considering tightening the springs to ensure stability as I have a very aggressive pick attack at times.

Bogner, it's funny that you mention the neck shape. Coming from Ibanez and Schecter I've always leaned towards a slimmer neck. I picked up a tremonti the other week and the neck profile (apart from the tone) is what sold me on the guitar. Different strokes for different folks. Although I did try a 594 and while completely different the neck still felt great. I think maybe, for me at least, it might have to do more with the shape of the neck than actual thickness front to back.

Thanks for the reply sir! So I'm placing my order through my local guitar center tomorrow but PRS quoted a 6 month estimate for completion! Is this normal?

Back