PRS Trem on CE, S3 & SE - all the same?

DaveNJ

Hey all, is the tremolo on the new CE, S2 and SE models all the same unit? They all list the part as :

PRS Patented Tremolo, Molded

Is this a case where the S2 & SE are getting a better quality part, or where the CE is getting lower quality piece? I would expect the US models to use higher end hardware - not necessarily the GenIII, but better quality that the other lines...

They all share the same tremolo. It`s one of the cost cutting measures necessary to bring the CE and S2 to market at a good price point. Keep in mind that the Korean tremolo is a very fine unit. I have both makes on various PRSi. They sound different, but they both stay beautifully in tune when set up properly. I think the S2 and the CE give you more bang for the buck than anyone else, by a large margin. I have a stock S2 Custom 22, it`s tremendous as it is. I have various SE`s with modifications, but I haven`t changed the tremolo on any of them. I also have 3 USA PRSi. I like them all, they`re just different.

They all share the same tremolo. It`s one of the cost cutting measures necessary to bring the CE and S2 to market at a good price point. Keep in mind that the Korean tremolo is a very fine unit. I have both makes on various PRSi. They sound different, but they both stay beautifully in tune when set up properly. I think the S2 and the CE give you more bang for the buck than anyone else, by a large margin. I have a stock S2 Custom 22, it`s tremendous as it is. I have various SE`s with modifications, but I haven`t changed the tremolo on any of them. I also have 3 USA PRSi. I like them all, they`re just different.

+1

The SE/import trem is a fine unit. It gets some undue hate, I believe, because the nut on SE's with trems have long caused intonation problems until properly set up, and the actual trem unit gets a lot of the flak for it (unfairly IMO). But, compare the PRS import trem to something like a Squier/MIM Fender trem, it's a night and day difference.

That being said, certainly the USA trem, and the Mann trem, are better. But not because the import is bad. I have 3, one SE and 2 S2, and have been very satisfied. Will I probably change at least one? Yes, because we all have problems leaving well enough alone!

The differences are subtile. The SE has cast saddles vs. the core with machined saddles. When I bought my Santana Se, I had a whole list of swap outs. So far, the tuners may go but that is about it.

I wil say that the cast saddles look a little different and some may say cheesy but look at history. What was the best super strat ever? Wilkinson bridge and nut equipped Ultra's. Most people think they are fakes........

Are the SE saddles cast zink? That's what they look like to me.

I don´t know if is think, but my PRS SE Paul Allender With EMG pickups, have some type of corrosion on saddles. The only mod I made on that guitar is locking tuner I found one for direct replace, http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sg381.html.
Guitar stay in tune not days, weeks. I just put graphite on nut with one 0.5mm pencil.

Back