PRS Treble 250 Replacement

Nick Love

Hello,

I have a Chris Henderson model that comes stock with a PRS Treble 250 in the bridge. I find it to be similar to a Duncan Distortion, where, to my ears, it’s very dark but at the same time has harsh upper mids and highs. I say to my ears because for some types of music the sounds it produces may be a perfect fit, it just never seems to produce the type of singing distortion I prefer. I like something moderate or low output with buttery smooth highs, similar to a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro or a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. For those folks who are familiar with the ones I’ve mentioned or the sounds I’m looking for, can you suggest a PRS pickup that could me close to that sound? I’m not very familiar with the various PRS pickups and I’d like to keep this model all PRS if possible. For reference my main amps are a Victory Sheriff 44, a Mesa Mark V and a Vox AC30HW Combo.
Thanks everyone for your time.

I just put Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro's in my S2 Standard 24, Very versatile but scooped a bit in the mids so they don't appear as high output, but I still back my volume off a tad for the best tone. I like them. I also changed out the Pots and wiring so that made a difference also.

Probably the closest thing PRS does to an AP-1 Duncan would be the 57/08.

I don't find the SD to be scooped at all, it's quite the opposite and removes highs and lows and is very smooth across the midrange.
Maybe scooped compared to an overwound distortion.

I have to agree with Mike; the 57/08 is a superb all around pickup that might very well fit your needs.

Back