PRS Tone VS the other maor brands...

I haven't, have never seen one in person. Tell me about them?

Where to start... The story began while a Captain in the Air Force locked in a vault, within a vault, within a vault (Nuclear Weapons). I was the lucky guy who was pulling shift with a particularly colorful individual who had shrapnel in his head, was a bow hunting addict, and somewhat... well, lets just say he got along better with Antelope than people, usually because the antelope weren't around long after they met. We'll call him "Dee".

During this shift "Dee" saw me researching guitars and proceeded to tell me about his favorite Bows "Mathews" and that the guy who made them started making guitars and that I should really check them out because he made great bows, etc. etc. etc. and etc. etc. etc. My reply was "Brother I've been researching acoustic guitars, studio equipment, electric guitars, live gear, etc. for 20 years I'd be surprised if I hadn't already heard of them if they were worth me looking at". Well, I was wrong.

Mathew McPherson added to his fortune 500 company "Mathews" with "McPherson Guitars". Matt had always wanted to start a guitar company as his Dad had been a good luthier and also very innovative. I love this particular story because I am so impressed with Matt McPherson as a man. This guy developed an extremely patentable single cam design for bows which he could have made millions on but instead gave it away to the industry just to see the industry grow. He has the only fortune 500 company in the Bow hunting industry.

His guitars incorporate the same graphite material from his bows in the center of the necks so that they never warp as well as an off center sound-hole and fretboard that never touches the top of the guitar, it's suspended so as not to deter any resonance. He also appoints them with the Buzz Feiten system which I am convinced provides some of the best sustain in the acoustic guitar business.

I sold every guitar I owned (6 at the time) to buy one, found a Redwood/Rosewood combo and to this day it is the best guitar I have ever owned. Looking back I should have got a Spruce but I bought it off a Real Estate Tycoon in Phoenix that had purchased 5, $6000 guitars to learn how to play... he decided everybody played 6 string so he decided to pick up Bass instead. This guy even overnighted the guitar to me on his dollar ($500) thanked me for my service and my hope is that he is happily banging away somewhere on a Fender Custom Shop Jazz Fretless.

The workmanship, innovation, tone, and incredible service from the McPherson factory combine to make one of the best overall choices available in my very humble opinion. Amazing craftsman, amazing guitars, amazing company. I had the opportunity to visit their factory in Sparta Wisconsin while being transferred to Cape Cod, just incredible.

For me this was the culmination of a 2 year endeavor to find the best acoustic guitar out there. Led me to Collings, Larivees, Takamine's, Taylors, Martins, etc. I even drove to Canada to buy a Takamine "Storm" Ltd edition... I sold them all for this one and wasn't disappointed in the least. My tale ends with having to sell it a few years back to put food on the table. But it would be a hard call to buy a PRS over a McPherson. With 5 children now I can't imagine spending that kind of money again, so an S2 PRS would be very welcome indeed.

McPherson Website:
http://mcphersonguitars.com/technology/

This doesn't highlight Phil Keagy's ability but gives a great overall picture of a McPherson tone:
[video]https://youtu.be/Ke_CgqrnHR4[/video]

Last edited:
Have you got clips (yours or others) of the TG (and LSV-11 while you're at it)? Would love to see/hear.
I think the LSV-11 isn't satin? I don't like sticky guitars unfortunately.
EDIT - had a listen on YouTube - sounds pretty good but for £4k considering my Larrivee was £700 + hardcase.. Also listened to the LSV-11 which sounds great. Hard to judge if not playing them yourself.

My '11 was my first quality wood guitar and loved it. I've also had a flamed Koa "Islander" that's hard to find. Unfortunately, the case had toxins that got into the guitar(Islander)and I would end up nauseated anytime I played.

Sorry, the Larry was the guitar before the TG.

Last edited:
Where to start... The story began while a Captain in the Air Force locked in a vault, within a vault, within a vault (Nuclear Weapons). I was the lucky guy who was pulling shift with a particularly colorful individual who had shrapnel in his head, was a bow hunting addict, and somewhat... well, lets just say he got along better with Antelope than people, usually because the antelope weren't around long after they met. We'll call him "Dee".

During this shift "Dee" saw me researching guitars and proceeded to tell me about his favorite Bows "Mathews" and that the guy who made them started making guitars and that I should really check them out because he made great bows, etc. etc. etc. and etc. etc. etc. My reply was "Brother I've been researching acoustic guitars, studio equipment, electric guitars, live gear, etc. for 20 years I'd be surprised if I hadn't already heard of them if they were worth me looking at". Well, I was wrong.

Mathew McPherson added to his fortune 500 company "Mathews" with "McPherson Guitars". Matt had always wanted to start a guitar company as his Dad had been a good luthier and also very innovative. I love this particular story because I am so impressed with Matt McPherson as a man. This guy developed an extremely patentable single cam design for bows which he could have made millions on but instead gave it away to the industry just to see the industry grow. He has the only fortune 500 company in the Bow hunting industry.

His guitars incorporate the same graphite material from his bows in the center of the necks so that they never warp as well as an off center sound-hole and fretboard that never touches the top of the guitar, it's suspended so as not to deter any resonance. He also appoints them with the Buzz Feiten system which I am convinced provides some of the best sustain in the acoustic guitar business.

I sold every guitar I owned (6 at the time) to buy one, found a Redwood/Rosewood combo and to this day it is the best guitar I have ever owned. Looking back I should have got a Spruce but I bought it off a Real Estate Tycoon in Phoenix that had purchased 5, $6000 guitars to learn how to play... he decided everybody played 6 string so he decided to pick up Bass instead. This guy even overnighted the guitar to me on his dollar ($500) thanked me for my service and my hope is that he is happily banging away somewhere on a Fender Custom Shop Jazz Fretless.

The workmanship, innovation, tone, and incredible service from the McPherson factory combine to make one of the best overall choices available in my very humble opinion. Amazing craftsman, amazing guitars, amazing company. I had the opportunity to visit their factory in Sparta Wisconsin while being transferred to Cape Cod, just incredible.

For me this was the culmination of a 2 year endeavor to find the best acoustic guitar out there. Led me to Collings, Larivees, Takamine's, Taylors, Martins, etc. I even drove to Canada to buy a Takamine "Storm" Ltd edition... I sold them all for this one and wasn't disappointed in the least. My tale ends with having to sell it a few years back to put food on the table. But it would be a hard call to buy a PRS over a McPherson. With 5 children now I can't imagine spending that kind of money again, so an S2 PRS would be very welcome indeed.

McPherson Website:

This doesn't highlight Phil Keagy's ability but gives a great overall picture of a McPherson tone:

He's one of my all-time favorites. Where did the vid come from?

He's one of my all-time favorites. Where did the vid come from?

I think Phil was doing a couple of tips and tricks videos for Matt McPherson... possibly at his Nashville studio.

I got to hang out with Keagy in Cour DeLaine (Sic?) a few years back. He had a contest on who drove the furthest to see him. Having been a Nuclear Weapons Officer in the middle of Montana I won! The crazy thing is that Frank Perretti, the author was there as well.

Phil is truly a wonderfully kind hearted man. He has more talent in his missing finger than almost anyone else I've ever seen play.

He played a Rich Mullins and Keith Green song... He's as humble and down to earth as any true "Brother" :D.

You may have driven the farthest, but you were'nt the most desolate. I was in Gila Bend, AZ on a bombing range. 5.5 million acres along with snakes, Badgers, scorpions, Turkey vultures, etc.

Last edited:
You may have driven the farthest, but you went the most desolate. I was in Gila Bend, AZ on a bombing range. 5.5 million acres along with snakes, Badgers, scorpions, Turkey vultures, etc.

Nice! :D Thanks for your service!

I got stranded in Yuma one time so I can only imagine. Prior to my time with the USAF I was a Submariner... Been where the sun don't shine :D

McPherson Website:

Great story! It does look like a very interesting and cool guitar!

Fortunately, I'm so freaking satisfied with my Tonare Grand PS - that incidentally also has a carbon fiber reinforced neck - that I've stopped looking at other acoustic guitars altogether. Haven't picked one up at a store in the two years since the Tonare arrived (the wallet gods thank PRS for this). That's really something, because I love acoustic guitars!

Then again, I could also live with any one of my PRS electrics. I could try to rationalize why I have more than one, but it's a reach.

lol! I had a Martin Backpacker :)

:) I'll have to check out the Tonare's!

EDIT: I feel dumb, I didn't know that was a PRS model, lol.

EDIT 2: Listened to all the demos... that McManus is incredible! Def on par tone wise with what I'd want... except with Brazilian, I can only imagine the cost!

An S2 Spruce top, Solid Rosewood back & sides, ebony fretboard, forego all the abalone etc. and put Koa or another wood for the birds and rosette... I'd pre-order I think!

I'd also love to see a somewhat more dreadnaught shape tone wise, just to hear the comparison. All my favorite guitars have ended up being somewhat dread-ish.

Last edited:
Back