PRS....the perfect guitar????

As y'all know I'm stuffing the piggy bank for a DGT. Thanks to you guys (@Alnus Rubra )for keeping me focused and on task. My G.A.S. has been working overtime! This video just solidifies my beliefs about how incredible the DGT's really are. I don't have a huge budget, so having a nice core that covers so much ground is soooo perfect for me. Can't wait till it's my turn to post a NGD post with one of these beasts!!!

Hang tough brother! Your day will come:D and it will be sweet:D:D

I watched the video and enjoyed it. I have two DGT's which I love and play more than my other guitars. They have their own unique voice. Neither one of them sound like my Strats Tele or Gibsons. And they sound different from each other and from my McCarty. If I was still playing out I would probably get an SE with coil splits since the play-ability is very important when playing for 4 hours a night, more so than the tones I can get. That way I don't have to worry about an expensive guitar being scratched(heavens forbid) or stolen. I'll probably catch a load of flak , but the average bar band patron could care less about your rosewood fretboard that was harvested in the 50's by pygmys from the Brazilian amazon or whether your pickups have the ICT process applied (or not). They just want to hear Sweet Home Alabama and Brown Eyed Girl. I know it sounds negative but I honestly believe we get our gear and chase tones to satisfy our needs. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's my opinion. But The DGT's are close to perfection for me

As y'all know I'm stuffing the piggy bank for a DGT. Thanks to you guys (@Alnus Rubra )for keeping me focused and on task. My G.A.S. has been working overtime! This video just solidifies my beliefs about how incredible the DGT's really are. I don't have a huge budget, so having a nice core that covers so much ground is soooo perfect for me. Can't wait till it's my turn to post a NGD post with one of these beasts!!!
You got this bro!

While we're on the subject of "perfect" guitar.

I've been reluctant to rave about the 5310s in my 97CE but I haven't lusted to play a guitar this bad in a really long while.

Went back to rotary switch with 5310 swap and plugged into studio jcm800 head marshall cab combo is absolutely incredible.

I'm dying to record again!!!

I don't have a DGT, but I know every time I play my Cu24 I think PRS makes the prefect guitar.

Inflation hedge I could stare at all day..
TsLKE4F.jpg

You are spot on, unfortunately. Most non-guitar players only care that they hear something familiar, and many don't even care if covers aren't played accurately or precisely; they just want to sing and dance along. You could plug in a sunburst Chibson into a solid-state Crate, plop on a top hat, and assuming you play well, would still have the non-musician crowd saying "dude, you sound exactly like Slash!"

But, at least for me, I feel like I play more accurately, and more importantly, with more confidence and feel, when I play a good instrument, into a good amp.

In the case of my PRS instruments, I know they'll always sound good, stay in tune, and also look great under the stage lights. I also find it easier to dial in a great tone, even under less than perfect conditions, which is the norm for most of the NYC venues I played, with no soundchecks and dodgy backline amps. I'm sure some of this is a placebo effect, but watching old live clips, I can tell that I play more relaxed on my "good" guitars

Some may say I'm just drinking the Kool-aide. If so, pour me another pitcher, thanks!

QUOTE="Domingo Lantigua, post: 621702, member: 29836"]I watched the video and enjoyed it. I have two DGT's which I love and play more than my other guitars. They have their own unique voice. Neither one of them sound like my Strats Tele or Gibsons. And they sound different from each other and from my McCarty. If I was still playing out I would probably get an SE with coil splits since the play-ability is very important when playing for 4 hours a night, more so than the tones I can get. That way I don't have to worry about an expensive guitar being scratched(heavens forbid) or stolen. I'll probably catch a load of flak , but the average bar band patron could care less about your rosewood fretboard that was harvested in the 50's by pygmys from the Brazilian amazon or whether your pickups have the ICT process applied (or not). They just want to hear Sweet Home Alabama and Brown Eyed Girl. I know it sounds negative but I honestly believe we get our gear and chase tones to satisfy our needs. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's my opinion. But The DGT's are close to perfection for me[/QUOTE]

Perfection is hard to quantify, but I'll say this, in relation to that video - I've been getting a heck of a lot of mileage out of the coil split tones in my 594, in combination with the 4-knob control layout, there's a whole lot of sounds to play with there. I don't usually play a guitar with the intention of "ok, I want it to sound like a _____," it's more of a general sense of wanting the sound to be fatter, or thinner, or brighter, or darker, to serve the purpose of whatever part I'm trying to play, and there have been no disappointments there!
Exactly!!

I think some people want (or need) to compare Tones on Instruments to others - like comparing the DGT to a LP, Tele, Strat. Its no different from comparing a 594 to a LP or a Silver Sky to a Strat. So often I see 'split/tapped' HB's compared to a Strat and its SC's despite the difference in build (different woods, often no middle Pick up and different scale length too) and the 'mark' of quality is how close it can get to sounding like the 'strat' instead of how usable is that tone? does it drop volume? etc.

The amount of times I am asked about my Special or my 509 with regards to comparison between them and Strat/Tele's - more so than LP's as it seems that having HB's in the Neck/Bridge is considered capable of doing something LP like. I also see a lot of people saying that the split/tapped HB's sound 'nothing like' their Tele and/or Strat so I just leave it to individual preference - whether its 'close' enough or not is up to them.

I know some people want Guitars because of the tones they offer - unique to that instrument. Regardless of how 'stratty' it can get, its never going to exactly like a strat so will buy a Strat if that's the sound they want and will use the guitar for the tones it offers. Some people though will buy a guitar because its capable of delivering a 'decent' LP, Stratty, Tele-ish tones. It also adds 'versatility' in their mind knowing it can do various 'recognisable' tones.

In some ways, its a bit like Music. We have 'Genres' that for some people may sound the same - like all Rap sounds similar for example but to another Metallica and Megadeth are very different and each has its own Unique sound. I see Guitars in a similar way - genre being maybe Tele, Strat, LP etc and some people try to put Guitars into these genres but each also has its own 'unique' sound too.

As for 'perfect' guitar, I really don't think that exists - at least not one that suits everyone for every style, genre etc of music, every player etc but can be a 'perfect' guitar for someone.
Well said!

Take it from me and Mr. Clean, you’ve got your sights set true! Both a DGT and an SE245 top my ‘most gigged’ list and favs to play. You should experience the same, bro. :cool:

I do sense that PRS has made a quantum leap in popularity in the last 5 years. The pickups, the SE line, key new models.

So much so that I half mean it when I joke that owning a PRS guitar is a little like owning stocks of a rising company!

The old remarks about “sterility” and dentistry do not make sense anymore. Where they appear, it’s probably from a place of dour (and sour) grapes.

PRS, perfect guitar ...? i remember i must have been 11 and walked into the store at that time i had some chords in my bag lol and i spotted the beast about 2 meters from the ground! a PRS GOLD TOP !!! this guitar was of course overpriced so i kept it in mind, and forgot ... my favorite guitar was fender and ibanez for 30 years, until i happened to see the guitar that m 'had dreamed! a McCarthy gold top .. I bought it out of pure nostalgia.
I expected nothing more nothing less and bang when I received it and opened the case I was blown away by the beauty wow
but beauty is one thing .. when i played it i fell on my ass lol i knew i had opened a door that will be impossible to close, but for me having a PRS is a pride, Said it's way a little strange but yes I'm proud of it I admit it ... so is Prs a perfect guitar? personally it is the one that comes closest to it!
Ps.. désolé mon anglais n'est pas bon mais je me force alors ..! je suis meilleur pour écrire en français!

Back