PRS....the perfect guitar????

Interesting video. I’ve been playing PRS so long I kind of forgot with the other guitars sound like LOL. With that being said I buy PRS because of their play ability, tuning stability, and sound. Their own genuine sound. Yes you can get great single coil sounds which could be in the world of Strat/telly and you can get great humbucker sounds which are in the realm of Les Pauls. But to me it just comes down to the tone you’re looking for, if it’s in the single coil world or humbucker or both. PRS can cover it all I’m currently my favorite tones come from the Pauls with TCI and the MEV ‘s.

Last edited:
I really like the PRS sound for its own sake. I agree that they can also be taken in lots of directions, too.

I generally try to dial in warm, articulate semi-clean-to-crunchy sounds. Left to my own devices, that's where. live. I like what I get from a PRS. Have since the first moment I picked one up 30 years ago.

I find that each model does its own variation on the PRS theme, but what holds the tones together for me is that basic, articulate-but-also-warm PRS sound that other brands can't give me. I wish I could put all this into words better.

I really like the PRS sound for its own sake. I agree that they can also be taken in lots of directions, too.

I generally try to dial in warm, articulate semi-clean-to-crunchy sounds. Left to my own devices, that's where. live. I like what I get from a PRS. Have since the first moment I picked one up 30 years ago.

I find that each model does its own variation on the PRS theme, but what holds the tones together for me is that basic, articulate-but-also-warm PRS sound that other brands can't give me. I wish I could put all this into words better.

Well said Les

I guessed 2 out of the three correctly.

Now that I've been recording my prs guitars regularly I can hear that ultra high frequency thing that I get with mine.

People have talked about the prs pure nickel strings and I think I will move to those to smooth that out.

Yup, seen that vid too. I think with the Narrowfield and TCI stuff, PRS has really upped their game on single coil sounds. With that, I don't think they have any bases let uncovered at this point. I might go as far as saying that when people tell me the usual arguments such as "Oh, PRS are just overrated" OR "Oh, they don't have their own tone" OR "Ohhh, they dont play like a *insert vintage brand name here*", I find are usually from people who haven't given PRS stuff a chance. I mean for me, I don't see much reason to play anything else, don't see much reason to buy anything else. At the very least, the stability of PRS stuff is just fantastic. Maybe a truss adjustment before each season, and that's it.

Cool video, he makes those guitars sound really good.

Is a PRS a perfect guitar? Nah. I love their guitars to death, and there's nothing else I like better. But when they make a perfect one, I'll be done hunting. And I'm not there yet.

(Bet that warms the cockles of their hearts... Paul, you reading this?)

Perfection is hard to quantify, but I'll say this, in relation to that video - I've been getting a heck of a lot of mileage out of the coil split tones in my 594, in combination with the 4-knob control layout, there's a whole lot of sounds to play with there. I don't usually play a guitar with the intention of "ok, I want it to sound like a _____," it's more of a general sense of wanting the sound to be fatter, or thinner, or brighter, or darker, to serve the purpose of whatever part I'm trying to play, and there have been no disappointments there!

Cool video and a great demonstration of PRSes but especially the DGT in particular. Thanks for posting. (I subscribed to the guy's channel.)

I did actually get all three comparisons correctly, but to be honest, I also had to scrub back and forth on two of them to be (pretty) sure before checking the answers. IOW, they were so close that it was a difficult match for me upon first hearing, and I really doubt I'd be able to tell them easily apart in a mix. That said, I think you'd also want to be approaching each tonal "direction" (LP, Strat, or Tele) with a like-minded playing style/approach/attitude in order to be able to pull off their "illusions". IMO.

Gotta give my DGTs (DGT and Standard) a good spin tomorrow!

Haven’t listened yet, but nothing said, so far, surprises me. Being a DGT devoté, I can affirm the flexibility and reliability claims. Being afraid to twist knobs is the biggest disservice to owning one because there’s magic at your fingers (thank you Neil Peart).

I think some people want (or need) to compare Tones on Instruments to others - like comparing the DGT to a LP, Tele, Strat. Its no different from comparing a 594 to a LP or a Silver Sky to a Strat. So often I see 'split/tapped' HB's compared to a Strat and its SC's despite the difference in build (different woods, often no middle Pick up and different scale length too) and the 'mark' of quality is how close it can get to sounding like the 'strat' instead of how usable is that tone? does it drop volume? etc.

The amount of times I am asked about my Special or my 509 with regards to comparison between them and Strat/Tele's - more so than LP's as it seems that having HB's in the Neck/Bridge is considered capable of doing something LP like. I also see a lot of people saying that the split/tapped HB's sound 'nothing like' their Tele and/or Strat so I just leave it to individual preference - whether its 'close' enough or not is up to them.

I know some people want Guitars because of the tones they offer - unique to that instrument. Regardless of how 'stratty' it can get, its never going to exactly like a strat so will buy a Strat if that's the sound they want and will use the guitar for the tones it offers. Some people though will buy a guitar because its capable of delivering a 'decent' LP, Stratty, Tele-ish tones. It also adds 'versatility' in their mind knowing it can do various 'recognisable' tones.

In some ways, its a bit like Music. We have 'Genres' that for some people may sound the same - like all Rap sounds similar for example but to another Metallica and Megadeth are very different and each has its own Unique sound. I see Guitars in a similar way - genre being maybe Tele, Strat, LP etc and some people try to put Guitars into these genres but each also has its own 'unique' sound too.

As for 'perfect' guitar, I really don't think that exists - at least not one that suits everyone for every style, genre etc of music, every player etc but can be a 'perfect' guitar for someone.

Interesting and cool video, thanks for sharing. I heard clear differences in all three comparisons, but i guessed wrong on the last one and preferred the sound of the DGT. Still, he got close to the single coil sounds, and more importantly, the DGT sounded good in all of the takes.

Regarding perfection, a Garrison Keillor comment has stuck with me. It was something like, "Perfection is a sad thing, really. It leaves nothing to hope for."

As y'all know I'm stuffing the piggy bank for a DGT. Thanks to you guys (@Alnus Rubra )for keeping me focused and on task. My G.A.S. has been working overtime! This video just solidifies my beliefs about how incredible the DGT's really are. I don't have a huge budget, so having a nice core that covers so much ground is soooo perfect for me. Can't wait till it's my turn to post a NGD post with one of these beasts!!!

Back