PRS SVN Players

Alex Martinez

Last year I purchased a PRS SVN Black Cherry finish and have recently upgraded the tuners, pickups, and knobs. Now, all the guitar hardware is black and it looks a lot better to me personally. I replaced the prs bridge with a black hipshot, swapped the stock pickups for Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omegas, and added black hipshot locking tuners as well. I play in drop F on this 7 string (F-C-F-A#-D- G-C) and now it looks, feels, and sounds like an even better guitar. (I use the custom light 8 string Boomer set (11-74) and it feels perfect).

If you own a PRS SVN or have any questions about it feel free to ask or comment on this thread!

I’ve got one and have swapped out pups for some Duncans.

The only other thing I want to do is change the tuners to locking.
I was going to get Mannmade Tuners, but I’m interested if you can link me to the hipshots you put in yours.

Also if they were straight drop in, and did it add any neck dive?

Can you post a picture of yours with the upgrades?
I’m keen to see it.

I've got one of the Axe Palace SVNs - unmolested so far apart from lampshade knobs, and I have to say the pickups were a pleasant surprise. That said, I'm 99% set on a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs - just need to decide on a finish for them!

I've got some Hipshots lying around that I bought for my old SE Cu24-7 before it was stolen, but apparently this one has auto-locking Gotohs fitted by whomever originally ordered it - haven't changed strings yet so I'll see how I get on. I'm guessing the Hipshots need some drilling?

Have you noticed a difference with the Hipshot bridge? I know it's not a direct fit and I'm sure it's marginally more comfortable, but has it affected resonance/acoustic tone at all? I'm tempted, but I've no issues with the stock bridge so unless it's a huge improvement, I suspect it's more effort/expense than it's worth for me.

58382796_2128821017153432_6223382426215776256_o.jpg
Hey man, this is what it looks like now! As far as neck dive, I don’t have any with this guitar it is already well balanced and the tuners don’t add excess weight.

I’ve got one and have swapped out pups for some Duncans.

The only other thing I want to do is change the tuners to locking.
I was going to get Mannmade Tuners, but I’m interested if you can link me to the hipshots you put in yours.

Also if they were straight drop in, and did it add any neck dive?

Can you post a picture of yours with the upgrades?
I’m keen to see it.

As far as the hipshot bridge, it is a different fit than the stock bridge, so I had to drill 4 holes into the body but I think it’s worth it for what I’m going for with this guitar. With such low tuning, I’ve noticed better resonance, feel, and overall playability with the bridge. It sits flatter than the prs bridge and is more comfortable for palm muting as well. Aside from this, there is some excess string noise from behind the nut by the tuners, but I believe it is from the thickness of the string set I have on so I’m picking up a fretwrap today. Might need to swap out a new nut in the future

I've got one of the Axe Palace SVNs - unmolested so far apart from lampshade knobs, and I have to say the pickups were a pleasant surprise. That said, I'm 99% set on a set of Bare Knuckle Black Dogs - just need to decide on a finish for them!

I've got some Hipshots lying around that I bought for my old SE Cu24-7 before it was stolen, but apparently this one has auto-locking Gotohs fitted by whomever originally ordered it - haven't changed strings yet so I'll see how I get on. I'm guessing the Hipshots need some drilling?

Have you noticed a difference with the Hipshot bridge? I know it's not a direct fit and I'm sure it's marginally more comfortable, but has it affected resonance/acoustic tone at all? I'm tempted, but I've no issues with the stock bridge so unless it's a huge improvement, I suspect it's more effort/expense than it's worth for me.

58382796_2128821017153432_6223382426215776256_o.jpg
Hey man, this is what it looks like now! As far as neck dive, I don’t have any with this guitar it is already well balanced and the tuners don’t add excess weight.

Looks good!

Do you know what model the hipshot tuners are?
Did they drop straight in, or did you have to drill and/or ream?

Thanks man! I made a mistake and ordered a straight line set instead of 4x3, so the higher strings align with the holes, but the 4 lower strings do not. If you were to order the 4x3 hipshots, I'm confident there would be no drilling necessary! They will typically drop right in unless your preexisting holes don't align. One day I will fix that, but for now, tightening the tuner/washer to the headstock is holding firmly in place. As far as tuning stability, these locking tuners are great and keep the guitar profoundly in tune!
Here's a link to the suggested 4x3 tuners:
https://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-Grip...string+tuners&qid=1556036986&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The Hipshots have the same shaft hole size, but the mounting screw holes are in different locations. They will look wonky unless you line them up straight and drill for new screw holes. Hipshot also have their universal mounting plates, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for 7-string, and again, they go on wonky looking because of the curved PRS headstock.

The Hipshots have the same shaft hole size, but the mounting screw holes are in different locations. They will look wonky unless you line them up straight and drill for new screw holes. Hipshot also have their universal mounting plates, but I'm not sure if they're suitable for 7-string, and again, they go on wonky looking because of the curved PRS headstock.

I think I’ll stick with getting Mann made locking.

Hey man, I'm so glad you posted a picture! I've been considering getting another 7 for Drop G for months and blacking out a red Svn has been on my radar. Looks fantastic. Created an account just to post here.

As far as the hipshot bridge, it is a different fit than the stock bridge, so I had to drill 4 holes into the body but I think it’s worth it for what I’m going for with this guitar. With such low tuning, I’ve noticed better resonance, feel, and overall playability with the bridge. It sits flatter than the prs bridge and is more comfortable for palm muting as well. Aside from this, there is some excess string noise from behind the nut by the tuners, but I believe it is from the thickness of the string set I have on so I’m picking up a fretwrap today. Might need to swap out a new nut in the future

Thanks for sharing! I'm modding my SVN and replacing many stock parts. I'm interested in putting on a Hipshot bridge but noticed unmatched holes allocation and not sure how much will Hipshot improve the tones so I'm a bit hesitating. But having read your review I might give it a shot.

BTW, I thought that the height of bridge plate of Hipshot and SE stock are the same, but from what you said I might be wrong. Did you measure how thinner the Hipshop is?

6Y4ZYh4.jpg

FylXxpE.jpg

SVN Owner reporting in.

I've got one in the Stealth finish set up for B standard, absolutely awesome guitar. I've added Axetec locking tuners and they're brilliant. Awesome tuners for the price.

After seeing the mods done here though I'm getting itchy to do some bits to mine myself.

Edit: Added my SvN.

62107135_416791812503901_3018007582561271808_n.jpg

Last edited:
SVN Owner reporting in.

I've got one in the Stealth finish set up for B standard, absolutely awesome guitar. I've added Axetec locking tuners and they're brilliant. Awesome tuners for the price.

After seeing the mods done here though I'm getting itchy to do some bits to mine myself.

Edit: Added my SvN.

62107135_416791812503901_3018007582561271808_n.jpg

That looks great!

Hey I also own a red Svn since last week and starting moding it.

Got a Dimarzio Titan in the bridge where I had to file down the ears a bit to fit in.
Tuners I‘ll probably go with the Schaller M6 locking cause in Germany it is hard to get hipshots.

The hardest thing to find are fitting pickup rings. Here in Germany there is only one 7 string frame that doesnt fit. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Last year I purchased a PRS SVN Black Cherry finish and have recently upgraded the tuners, pickups, and knobs. Now, all the guitar hardware is black and it looks a lot better to me personally. I replaced the prs bridge with a black hipshot, swapped the stock pickups for Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omegas, and added black hipshot locking tuners as well. I play in drop F on this 7 string (F-C-F-A#-D- G-C) and now it looks, feels, and sounds like an even better guitar. (I use the custom light 8 string Boomer set (11-74) and it feels perfect).

If you own a PRS SVN or have any questions about it feel free to ask or comment on this thread!

Hey I also own a red Svn since last week and starting moding it.

Got a Dimarzio Titan in the bridge where I had to file down the ears a bit to fit in.
Tuners I‘ll probably go with the Schaller M6 locking cause in Germany it is hard to get hipshots.

The hardest thing to find are fitting pickup rings. Here in Germany there is only one 7 string frame that doesnt fit. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I got lucky with my Duncan’s.
They came with pickup rings.

I had to shave the ears down also.

@Alex Martinez
Hi Alex,
I've decided to take the plunge and go for the Hipshot bridge. Which height did you get, the .125 or the .175?
Cheers
Tim

Hey Guys, quick update on my Svn.
As I posted before I wanted to go with Schaller tuners, but with priece over 150€ and 3 months of delivery time I decided to go with a no name brand for 60€.
They work great and where direct drop ins.

Back