PRS Studio vs 513

Shaw

Facts are stubborn; statistics are pliable.
As I'm sure all of do on a daily basis, I was clicking around on Reverb and came across this (https://reverb.com/item/2681041-prs-studio-10-top-blueburst). And I'm thinking "I wonder what the sound difference would be between the Studio and a 513 (specifically, a pretty red one like this: https://reverb.com/item/2571230-prs-513-2011-scarlet-smokeburst)?

Then of course, I thought: "I know a group of intelligent Chaps that will be able to give me some valuable insight"... Well, fellas?

/////////////// The first guy to say "You need both" deserves a foot in his keister. :eek: ///////////////////////

The only experience I have that might be comparable is with a Swamp Ash Studio vs. a 513 Swamp Ash. The 513's body is thicker, so it gives it a slightly bigger bottom. The 513's longer scale length helps offset a little bit of the mud in the pick ups, and it gives it more of a strat like coo on the neck than the SA Studio. The Swamp Ash Studio's pick ups are of a later generation which are clearer and more articulate than the older 513 pups. The 5708 kills as a bridge pick up in the SA Studio. The narrowfields sound more like a cross between single coils and P90's with no noise. They can get close to the single coil sounds rolled back, but the 513's singles are there. I suspect that if the 513 were to be handwired which that one probably isn't, it would be even closer to the Studio in articulation. The PC board in the 513 takes a little bit of a bite out of the tone. Also, the 513 can be fatter and heavier, because the SA Studio's tone center is more aligned to vintage humbucking mode on the 513 rather than the thicker modern humbucking tones. All this makes the 513's tonal pallette a bit broader with heavier modern humbucking and single coil tones.

Last edited:
They're completely different. The 513 is a studio tone monster, providing both the modern and the vintage tone circuits, which I don't think the Studio has. But the Studio has those wonderful narrowfield pickups, which provide something else entirely, which is really nice. You really need to try them both.

They're completely different. The 513 is a studio tone monster, providing both the modern and the vintage tone circuits, which I don't think the Studio has. But the Studio has those wonderful narrowfield pickups, which provide something else entirely, which is really nice. You really need to try them both.

Ya know, ;), I really didn't need to hear that. :) I have a PS in the mix, and am already thinking about a Brent Mason for next year. Now you had to go and complicate my brain with new thoughts!

So, you can't lose either way you go. I'd agree with that assessment.

Ya know, ;), I really didn't need to hear that. :) I have a PS in the mix, and am already thinking about a Brent Mason for next year. Now you had to go and complicate my brain with new thoughts!

BTW, features of the SA Studio were incorporated into my PS build. I liked the satin nitro finished maple neck with the V12 body. I basically incorporated what I thought were the best features together from all the other guitars I had. Wood selection was identical to an Experience P22 which had a great acoustic tone. The neck was a DGT carve.

Last edited:

+1 - Get both of them

What about the second?There's a good looking used one over at Dave's. Just sayin'.
Thanks, but I am paying off on a ps build being started currently. I'll have to be patient and just wait.

Reactions: moT
Back