PRS Studio S2 D-Style pickups

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by paulstar08, Apr 6, 2019.

1. paulstar08

paulstar08 New Member

I'm looking for some pickups that could replace me D-Style pickups on my studio. Something that is the same size but has more presence and bite. I am not looking for hotter pickups, I feel the d-style pickups have a nice output to them. They just lack some character and presence. I was looking at my guitar and thought maybe a p90 or a mini humbucker would fit. Does anyone have any experience changing the pickups on these guitars?

Thanks a bunch

2. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Consider changing the volume and tone pots to USA ones. That should wake up the D-Types, and be a helluva lot cheaper.

3. Blake Rice

Blake Rice New Member

If you are looking for a drop in replacement pickup, the D-type single coil is the same size as a Gibson Mini-Hum pickup. So any comparably sized mini humbucker or firebird-sized pickup could be installed with little issue

Boogie likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

That’s my suggestion, too. Can’t imagine changing the Type D, but a mini hummer will fit.

andy474x likes this.