PRS Strings?

singularity6

So... has anyone tried the PRS strings? I've been using D'Addario 10's for Standard Tuning for at least a decade... probably longer. I go to 11's if I'm dropping to D Standard or Open C Major. How would they compare?

It seems the strings on my brand new SS blacken my fingers, which has not happened with other brands. They sound thoroughly stratty, though.

My finger tips get charcoal grey when I play new Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s until they break in. It’s sort of like a graphite film on the tips of my fingers. I just tried a set of NYXLs and that didn’t happen to me.

I am such a freak. I just found this picture from two years ago.

60-A799-E2-1-C33-4194-B68-F-FB655522-C77-E.jpg

My finger tips get charcoal grey when I play new Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s until they break in. It’s sort of like a graphite film on the tips of my fingers. I just tried a set of NYXLs and that didn’t happen to me.

I am such a freak. I just found this picture from two years ago.

60-A799-E2-1-C33-4194-B68-F-FB655522-C77-E.jpg

Man, you must hug that fretboard!;)

Boomers are good. Ernie Ball SS. But I have to say These PRS strings that came with the Silver Sky are starting to impress me. Not so much at first, but I put some of my Dunlop Ultra glide 65 string conditioner cleaner. WHAMMO wow great tone on the single coils holy ****. Which now I'm starting to love this SIlver Sky. The tone is wild. The pickups are sweet. Really is a perfect strat. So couple points on PRS strings. May be ordering another set, lets see how long they last.

I like the PRS strings a lot... I was using DR Pure Blues for a long time, but I like the PRS classics just as much or more on most of my guitars, and they’re significantly cheaper. Win!

I just put a set of classics on my DC3, and there was a huge tone jump. I’ll always insist that certain guitars sound best with certain strings. My Old CE24 Rules the world with NYXL’s on it. I have a set of signatures coming to try.

I like the old PRS Strings before the change. The new ones feel exactly like the NYXL strings. Don't like them as much. The older recipe were softer there was something unique about them. They also lasted longer than most strings I use...

Whilst PRS Strings maybe made by D'addario for PRS, that doesn't mean that they are exactly the same as a specific set - for example NYXL's - but without the coloured ends.

According to PRS, from the website:
PRS Signature Series Strings are nickel-plated steel strings with hex-shaped, high-carbon steel core. They feature a proprietary, reformulated alloy that provides greater magnetic property for louder, brighter tone and soldered ends that extend string life and help the guitar stay in tune.

A proprietary alloy means that the alloy used is exclusive to PRS Signature strings - not used by other strings. They also have Soldered ends too

The same isn't said about the 'Classic' strings however so there maybe other string sets that are extremely similar at least in terms of the alloys. There are other ways to make a string different from others - even if they are using the same materials. The thickness of the core wire or the angle of the windings can make a difference to the sound and feel. For example, a 48 gauge string could be made using a 20 gauge core wrapped in 14 gauge wire or a 16 gauge core wrapped in 16 gauge wire and both will sound and feel different. Not saying that the Classics are different to any sets made and sold by D'Addario but that they could be - I don't actually know for sure.

It does appear that the Signature series though are 'unique' to PRS as they use a Proprietary alloy - even if they are made by D'addario exclusively for PRS

According to PRS, from the website:
PRS Signature Series Strings are nickel-plated steel strings with hex-shaped, high-carbon steel core. They feature a proprietary, reformulated alloy that provides greater magnetic property for louder, brighter tone and soldered ends that extend string life and help the guitar stay in tune.

A proprietary alloy means that the alloy used is exclusive to PRS Signature strings - not used by other strings. They also have Soldered ends too
It does appear that the Signature series though are 'unique' to PRS as they use a Proprietary alloy - even if they are made by D'addario exclusively for PRS

Watch out for the marketing language there! I'll give PRS the benefit of the doubt and take their words at face value (i.e. believe that they're true).

Notice they don't actually say "proprietary to PRS" or "unique to PRS." That proprietary reformulated alloy could be used in other D'addario strings, or even by anyone that the owner of the alloy formula allows to use it.

I've been looking for info like this on their strings. I've come close to pulling the trigger on em, and just haven't got around to it. I'm glad they're made by D'Addario, I've used the XL's for a long time, and besides Sfarzo, kinda have a miserable time with anything else.

I have used both many times. The old ones are my preferred strings. They had a unique softness to them. I cannot really think of a better way to describe it. I have never felt another string like that. They were also made by D'Addario. While the marketing may say one thing, to me the new ones feel just like the NYXL's. They are nowhere near as smooth as the old strings. I just got done playing 2 guitars one with the new ones and one with the older strings... They are very different.

Back