gauchosilvertone

Got a new McCarty 594. Played the bejeezus out of the factory strings as I loathe waste. They had a great slinky feel.

Finally wore em out and replaced with Ernie Ball 10s, my go-to. The feel is markedly different. Not exactly stiffer, but I can't think of a better word for it.

For the record, I did lower the action at the bridge a bit on both the treble and bass sides.

Any recommendations? String brands that work well for yall re: slinkiness while still retaining resistance to pick attack (I ain't doing .09's).

At what point did you lower the bridge? Before or after the string change? Perhaps a tweak of the truss rod might have been all that was needed to lower the action. I just had this done on my 594 and straightening the neck had a marked difference in feel.

At what point did you lower the bridge? Before or after the string change? Perhaps a tweak of the truss rod might have been all that was needed to lower the action. I just had this done on my 594 and straightening the neck had a marked difference in feel.
I lowered the bridge since the issue was high up on the neck, not in the middle area where neck bow would be the issue.

Normally not a D'Addario man but I'll give em a shot once these are...shot.

I hated D'Addario and am a long time Ernie Ball user, but I after 18 months of PRS ownership I grudgingly admitted that D'Addario sound better on modern PRS with stock pickups.

The generally warmer sounding EBs were a good match for my brighter Gibson's, but on PRS I find them a little too dull.

I'm still alternating between NYXLs and Boomers, trying to decide on a favorite. (Happily played both GHS and D'Addario on electric for many moons). Some may roll their eyes at GHS but they've always performed well for me.

The Sono-Tone sets look really interesting -- for the guys playing them, which do you prefer?

If you like what came with your guitar, PRS sells their brand that they put on the guitars, and some dealers stock them as well; it' might be a custom spec. I find the regular D'Addarios feel a little different, though I use both.

I like the pure nickel Sono-Tones with some of my PRSes -- they're a little brighter than pure nickel D'Addarios and feel a bit slinkier, but I prefer the PRS and D'Addarios with others.

Most strings packaged as nickel are nickel plated steel, the ones marked as pure nickel have wraps that aren't plated steel, they really are nickel wound.

But most players are used to and like the plated strings because they're a bit brighter.

Back