PRS strings

dkilpatrick

Makes guitar faces
Anybody use the PRS brand strings?
I received 10 free packs when they were doing the 30th anniversary promotion over the summer and I haven't broke into them yet. Thought I'd do some maintenance and a restring on a few guitars today while I was home. I usually use d'addario strings.
How do they compare to other name brands?

The PRS strings (this is not a deep dark secret) are made by D'Addario to PRS specs. I think they feel slightly different from D'Addarios just a tiny bit.

Someone at PRS once told me they're pure nickel wrapped, not nickel plated steel, but of that I'm not sure, because they sound different from the pure nickel D'Addario or Pyramid strings I put on my McCarty Singlecut; they're a little higher output, leading me to think maybe they're nickel plated steel. So I think maybe the person I spoke to at PRS didn't have the right info, or misunderstood my question.

I use the PRS strings on most of my guitars.

Anyway, if you're used to D'Addario strings, these oughta fill the bill. ;)

It`s a widely held belief that the strings are D`Addario. I have that from a former PRS employee. They`re very good strings.

Someone at PRS once told me they're pure nickel wrapped, not nickel plated steel, but of that I'm not sure, because they sound different from the pure nickel D'Addario or Pyramid strings I put on my McCarty Singlecut; they're a little higher output, leading me to think maybe they're nickel plated steel. So I think maybe the person I spoke to at PRS didn't have the right info, or misunderstood my question.

I think they're pure nickel. They don't have the top end of NPS.

I got one set (.010s) and put them on my Zach Myers - really like the tone and tension. Nice strings. Only probably is finding them online for a "decent" price.

Back