PRS Strings - Any opinions?

Orange Tiger

Does anybody have any opinions of PRS strings? I'm tempted to give a set a go but i'm a loyal d'addario user. I'd be interested to hear what you think, does anybody use PRS strings regularly?

Not a big fan of them, I have a bunch of them from the giveaway and won't ever use them. I'm an Elixer or super slinky fan. I've been tossing a pack of two inside the cases of the guitars that I sell to make room for my life threatening GAS.

I like them a lot, provided I can get them at a competitive price. They are good but not appreciably better than standard D'Addarios so not worth a premium (to me). I buy them through Elderly.

Ernie Ball guy for decades on all of my locking tremolo guitars, but on my PRS tremolo guitars I use Fender Bullets.
They seem to stay in tune better and get seated right away with those PRS trems.
bullets3.jpg

Last edited:
I use them on my Stripped 58 and Custom 22… love them! They stay in tune longer and stay crisp longer as well. I was a longtime user of GHS Boomers and these are similar, but there is a significant boost in the midrange freqs. I use .10's… I buy them through Sam Ash on Amazon. Great strings!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AP515
Then you'll like PRS Strings since they are just rebranded D'addario's.

Well played and point made. I might give some a go but maybe i'll continue to stick with d'addario for the future! Thanks guys.

I am not so sure about this. I am almost certain that one of the rules of tone videos, or other video shows PRS talking PRS strings and PRS says he has arranged certain specifications for his strings that would make them more than just rebranded. Shawn@PRS, if you are reading this can you weigh in please. Maybe I am wrong?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AP515
Then you'll like PRS Strings since they are just rebranded D'addario's.

I am not so sure about this. I am almost certain that one of the rules of tone videos, or other video shows PRS talking PRS strings and PRS says he has arranged certain specifications for his strings that would make them more than just rebranded. Shawn@PRS, if you are reading this can you weigh in please. Maybe I am wrong?

I honestly think they feel a little different than the D'Addarios I've played, though I may have played only the nickel plated and not pure nickel D'Addarios (it's my understanding that the PRS strings are pure nickel wound and not plated).

PRS string are made by D'Addario to PRS' specs. Not exactly simply rebranded sets...

Tbh, as long as the gauge is right I'm really not that fussy.

Maybe I should be?.. :biggrin:

I think there is a slight difference in feel but I was definitely comparing the PRS ones to the D'Addario XLs/plated. I picked up some D'Addario branded pure nickels and the gauges were not the same as the PRS branded ones. Can't remember what the all were but they were 10-44 not 10-46.

Back