PRS store limited sale of 85/15 and 58/15LT pickups!

Maybe. 2,300 sets is a lot, though. Assume they make 115 guitars in Maryland a day. Maybe 20% of those, tops, use 85/15 or 58/15 LT pickups. That's something around four and a half months worth of PUs that they just dumped onto the market.

I have no idea if they order PUs in batches or if they produce them constantly. Either way, that's a lot of inventory to dispose of. Makes me think that either they're expecting a big slowdown in orders or they've got something new. Might be a combination of those two, too. In any event, it seems like something changed in terms of production planning.
They wind their own, in house.

All I say is I don't believe suddenly Paul talking pickups on YouTube and 85(58)/19's being finally available as OEM's has no meaning. I'm not a psychic, but Paul wouldn't waste his time staging YT for no reason. He is a marketing genius.

Ok, the lot of pickups is a 1 mil smakaroos in sells but knowing PRS Guitars are backordered so heavily, I still think it wouldn't be worth of a hassle for Paul and the crew. With 300 employees a mil is not a game changer. I think they are just offloading the stock.

Mark my words, new pickup model is in the making.

And I can't wait :)

Just for kicks, here's what they have remaining in stock at the PRS Accessories Store:

85/15: 226
58/15 LT: 174

And the older models:

D2 Bass, Gold: 5
D2 Treble, Gold: 3
D2 Bass: 5
D2 Treble: 6
57/08 Treble: 16
57/08 Bass: 18
59/09 Treble: 14
59/09 Bass: 8
HFS: 11
HFS, Gold: 5
VB: 18
VB, Gold: 4
Tremonti Bass: 17
Tremonti Treble: 27
\m/ Treble: 11
\m/ Bass: 8

I love the 58/15 LTs in my SC594 (Profile Pic), but I’d be interested in a couple jm 635 pickups for the neck positions of my strats.

I’ve reworked all my strats as HS, no middle pickup. Instead of cranking it down and pulling the wires like Richie Blackmore, I just got HS pickguards made.

My ultimate pair would include 635 in the neck.

Last edited:
All I say is I don't believe suddenly Paul talking pickups on YouTube and 85(58)/19's being finally available as OEM's has no meaning. I'm not a psychic, but Paul wouldn't waste his time staging YT for no reason. He is a marketing genius.

Ok, the lot of pickups is a 1 mil smakaroos in sells but knowing PRS Guitars are backordered so heavily, I still think it wouldn't be worth of a hassle for Paul and the crew. With 300 employees a mil is not a game changer. I think they are just offloading the stock.

Mark my words, new pickup model is in the making.

And I can't wait :)

Think you've got a point here in that they may have the capacity to pump out more pickups than guitars that they go in. If said pickups are going for $750 - $1000 on the second hand market, why would you not sell them for $500 a set and scoop up that easy money? Remember when $400 for a pair of 57/08s seemed like a lot for PRS pickups? They've gained a lot of cachet since those days.

Yeah, I remember taking a deep breath before spending $250/pair for 53/10s, before they ran out. Those were the days!

-K
Yeah, I scored a couple of pairs while they still didn't cost more than 57/08s. Fortunately I was done "needing" to buy some well before I saw them going for north of $1K! At those prices, I'm out.

Back