PRS "Star" In pickup cavity?

SpHj

Alright gents, I'm wondering if anyone knows any info regarding this. I am well aware of Mike Deeley's "star/pentagram" whatever that he put in the old PRS neck pickup cavities If he worked on them. But the other day I finally got around to giving my '87 VY a tune up and decided to see what was under the hood...

IMG_0345_zps9945f89f.jpg

Does anybody know who would have put the Asterisk in there? This is my first time seeing something like it period.

Thanks!

Mitch

I call that one the asterisk. I'd like to know the answer as well. Lots of my old PRS guitars had it.

My CE 22 from '97 has an Asterix in the pickup cavity, too... not sure if it's just someone's version of their signature or if it was indicative of a 10 top or something.

Curious to know about this myself!

Interesting to stumble across this thread. My 2001 McCarty has a red 5-pointed star in the top-center of the bridge pickup cavity. I always wondered about it, but never looked into it. Does that mean that Mike Deeley worked on mine then? Or is the date too late for that?

Now I'm wondering about some of the other initials/symbols...

FWIW I have only done BCSes on 90s CEs and CUs and I think they all had the asterisk. Never opened up my 93 Standard, will check as she's due for new strings soon anyway...

My '92 CU24 has a heart in the cavity. Is it alive? Any other hearts out there?

Posted this in another thread, but PRS Support (Matt King who is awesome as well) indicated that the star is most likely a mark of completion of some sort during the build process, but he didn't have any specific info on The Star.

Back