PRS square pups

rickcard71

I must say at first I didn't like the look of them, but they have really grown on me. Now, is it true that the main reason that they are so fat/wide where they fill up the pup rings is so debris doesn't fall down inside. Great idea BTW.

I would like someone from PRS really respond or someone who really knows the reason.

Paul explains it one of his videos introducing the square bobbins "squabbins". He says that uncovered pickups were never meant to be uncovered, and as such the bobbins did not have a finished look. He set out to refine the look and give them a professional appearance that made them look good with the rings when the pups were uncovered. Short and sweet, that is about all there is to it. Yet another example of Paul refining the guitar!

I'm with ya. I didn't love the look at first either, but they've really grown on me.

I saw a video as well in which he mentions the arc of the pickups help with note clarity, "opening" the sound of the guitar in a way.

Will regular metal covers (chrome, nickel, gold) fit easily right over the top of these as a simple mod, like the covers do on regular traditional humbuckers?
No, that's kinda the point...the squabbins take up the same size space as a covered pickup, meaning the outer edge of the squabbins go right to the edge of the pickup rings.

Back