Prs special semi-hollow limited (core super eagle?)

I've had a chance to play my newly setup SSH some now and it is absolutely amazing. For those that have played other PRS guitars, is the feel of the SSH unique or is it pretty similar to how easily playable the whole lineup is? This is the only PRS I have ever touched and I bought it sight unseen. If the SSH is indicative of all the other PRS' I might be trading in my Strat for a Silver Sky!

I've had a chance to play my newly setup SSH some now and it is absolutely amazing. For those that have played other PRS guitars, is the feel of the SSH unique or is it pretty similar to how easily playable the whole lineup is? This is the only PRS I have ever touched and I bought it sight unseen. If the SSH is indicative of all the other PRS' I might be trading in my Strat for a Silver Sky!

PRS do definitely have a common 'feel', however, the Silver Sky is a bit different.

In a blind test over at Anderton's, Rob picked up the SS and remarked 'this feels like a PRS', as I recall, so there's something to them in common for sure.

But ... I recently got a chance to check out a SS, and could not get along with the small vintage frets.

I would *highly* recommend not going into the SS blind, unless you know you are comfortable with the small style frets on a vintage strat.

PRS do definitely have a common 'feel', however, the Silver Sky is a bit different.

In a blind test over at Anderton's, Rob picked up the SS and remarked 'this feels like a PRS', as I recall, so there's something to them in common for sure.

But ... I recently got a chance to check out a SS, and could not get along with the small vintage frets.

I would *highly* recommend not going into the SS blind, unless you know you are comfortable with the small style frets on a vintage strat.

I appreciate the feedback.

When you say "small style frets" are you referring to the height?

One thing I am not crazy about on my Am Pro Strat are the Narrow Tall frets?

Last edited:
Yep, this is typical of the whole product line.

As for the frets on the SS, they are the small vintage style frets. Not tall at all.

Yeah, PRS have a definite feel and playability and consistency, which is why so many trust a blind purchase, unplayed.

The SSH and SS both have trems, as opposed to being hard-tail, so they will have some similar feels. That said, the scale length is slightly different and the fretboard radius and frets are also going to be different. If you like playing your Strat and your SSH, you will probably love the SS. The SS is probably lighter, too. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback.

When you say "small style frets" are you referring to the height?

One thing I am not crazy about on my Am Pro Strat are the Narrow Tall frets?

Here's a pretty good description for them from the internets:

> while the guitar’s 22 ‘Acoustic’ frets are slightly larger than vintage Fullerton spec, but smaller in both height and width than the majority of other PRS electrics.

https://guitar.com/review/prs-silver-sky/

The SS is probably lighter, too.

I was just checking out the Silver Sky options on the Sam Ash website since I am going there to try one out. They have one weighing in at 6 lbs 8.1 oz. That seems crazy light. I think by SSH is 8 lbs. My Strat is probably 8-9 lbs.

@JackStraw, damn, my SSH is like 6.5 pounds! Still, 8 is lot less heavy than most Les Pauls. Yep, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the SS.

As for your SSH setup, did you do anything radical? On mine, I adjusted the string action myself, lowering it and adjusting the intonation very little. Plays beautifully and I can't imagine changing anything else. I'm running mine with Elixir 10s, which feel like nothing. : )

@JackStraw, damn, my SSH is like 6.5 pounds! Still, 8 is lot less heavy than most Les Pauls. Yep, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the SS.

As for your SSH setup, did you do anything radical? On mine, I adjusted the string action myself, lowering it and adjusting the intonation very little. Plays beautifully and I can't imagine changing anything else. I'm running mine with Elixir 10s, which feel like nothing. : )

Nothing special. Just a standard setup. I should have had elixirs put on it, but forgot. With the lower action it is just effortless. I am really blown away by how great of a guitar it is. I guess it should be for $4,500, but still I cant imagine there being a better playing guitar than the SSH.

I am going to reweigh my SSH tonight. I might be wrong about that. I was shocked to see a solid body (Silver Sky) at 6 lb 8 oz though.

Nothing special. Just a standard setup. I should have had elixirs put on it, but forgot. With the lower action it is just effortless. I am really blown away by how great of a guitar it is. I guess it should be for $4,500, but still I cant imagine there being a better playing guitar than the SSH.

I am going to reweigh my SSH tonight. I might be wrong about that. I was shocked to see a solid body (Silver Sky) at 6 lb 8 oz though.

Yeah, that is light, but every SS I have played has felt really light. I have an ash body Lincoln Brewster strat that is right at 7lbs., my 65RI is alder and it's just under 8lbs.

When I was looking for my Special, most were around 7lb or under but mine was by far the heaviest I found - at least as far as those that provided weights.

TJ7LdW3.jpg

Not that I went looking to buy the heaviest - I was more interested in the top and colour than the weight and its not exactly a 'heavy' guitar at this weight either. If weight is a concern, I am sure you could find a lighter one...

I love the weight and size of my SSH

The reason I was talking about weight is the Silver Sky I saw online was really light...6.8 and was surprised it was so light. I like the idea of have a really light Strat type guitar after having my Special for a while though.

Back