Prs special semi-hollow limited (core super eagle?)

Last night was the maiden voyage for mine...all i can say is whoaa. ill start by saying i cant believe the tone out of this thing in all positions, hard to find one i don't like. Whether it was the single coil split which sounded killer with the middle pickup or full on bridge humbucker or full on neck humbucker, whatever, it was singing. one thing too ive never had a guitar where i can split the coils and the volume drop dramatically..this thing i can barely notice..This gig was not how i usually would run this guitar either, through a freakin Yamaha Magic stomp straight to the PA!. lol..

Hi new here and just picked up one in Trampas green, this thing is killer...i like green guitars...lol

Really hoping they’ll do this in a 24 fret with three coil taps. I’d even be good if it was 3 full size humbuckers if they wanted to change it up a little.

What looks like a 24 fret on the stand, appears to be a longer scale.

It would probably have to be.

edit: glasses help. Ones full of single malt are better!

Last edited:
Funny there is almost no info on Mayer’s 3 humbucker guitars from this 2019 Dead & Co tour. I know he calls it “ honey”. From all the couch tours I’ve done of the 2019 tour, it doesn’t sound as sweet as Super Eagles.

I actually prefer this model to the Super, and to the 594 which bears physical similarities. I wonder about the scale length. Mayer spends most of his time on the middle pickup; not sure whether the middle is full In or split. I hope they make it available to us peasants.

Yeah, I'm not pissed off or anything. Just commentary/opinion.

Color was chosen to closely match my electrical engineering school alma mater, University of South Carolina. :cool:
Yeah, I'm not pissed off or anything. Just commentary/opinion.

I hoped/figured they must have placed their WL orders last year before or about the same time we all special ordered. It's my retirement gift with a signed back plate wishing me a happy retirement from Paul. Color was chosen to closely match my electrical engineering school alma mater, University of South Carolina. :cool:

You know "Orange Tiger" is a stock color. Jus' sayin'......:D:D:D

I actually prefer this model to the Super, and to the 594 which bears physical similarities. I wonder about the scale length. Mayer spends most of his time on the middle pickup; not sure whether the middle is full In or split. I hope they make it available to us peasants.

It’d be nice if they’d make some version of it that isn’t super limited, or $10k.

I’ve heard John say that they’re planning a series of instruments, hopefully a Core Super Eagle style guitar is in the works.

Actually looking at the photo again you could probably squeeze the pickups and extra frets in.

Amazing what happens when you put your glasses on!

It’d be nice if they’d make some version of it that isn’t super limited, or $10k.

I’ve heard John say that they’re planning a series of instruments, hopefully a Core Super Eagle style guitar is in the works.

In my eyes that's the SSH without the boost of the Eagle.

In my eyes that's the SSH without the boost of the Eagle.

Except that's 22 frets, has 2 Single Coils & 1 Humbucker, 25" scale length.

Could make a 3 Humbucker, 24 fret, 25.375" scale length, 3 coil tap switches, 5 way switch and preamp (or no preamp) relatively "cheap". I'm going to keep hoping :)

Except that's 22 frets, has 2 Single Coils & 1 Humbucker, 25" scale length.

Could make a 3 Humbucker, 24 fret, 25.375" scale length, 3 coil tap switches, 5 way switch and preamp (or no preamp) relatively "cheap". I'm going to keep hoping :)
I meant the Special Semi Hollow. 2 humbuckers, 1 narrowfield, and two taps. I'd swear it was built as a Baby Eagle.

I meant the Special Semi Hollow. 2 humbuckers, 1 narrowfield, and two taps. I'd swear it was built as a Baby Eagle.

gotcha! Thought you meant the S2 SSH. I’m still hoping they do a 24 fret with all 3 pickups with coil taps. If they did the SSH with 24 frets and all pickups tapable I’d be in real quick

Not sure how they did it, but they sucked the tone out of all three of those demos...nearly no bottom end, too much jangle and bite.
It's getting to the point where these special runs are more for art and the "designers" ego than to create a musical instrument...imho.

Not sure how they did it, but they sucked the tone out of all three of those demos...nearly no bottom end, too much jangle and bite.
I have a regular-issue SSH, and it definitely can sound beefier than that video. It's like they used a low pass filter at about 150hz or so. Which works OK in a recording mix, but on its own makes for a thin sound. The dirty sound is too much the dirt/fuzz, not enough the guitar. I was gonna say that Ish usually does better recordings/demos than this, but reviewing their other PRS demo videos, they all lack low end. I checked with other videos from YouTube just in case, too, and they sounded fine.
It's getting to the point where these special runs are more for art and the "designers" ego than to create a musical instrument...imho.
Nah, I think the guitars probably sounds pretty good in person, just not very representative audio in this particular video.

I have a regular-issue SSH, and it definitely can sound beefier than that video. It's like they used a low pass filter at about 150hz or so. Which works OK in a recording mix, but on its own makes for a thin sound. The dirty sound is too much the dirt/fuzz, not enough the guitar. I was gonna say that Ish usually does better recordings/demos than this, but reviewing their other PRS demo videos, they all lack low end. I checked with other videos from YouTube just in case, too, and they sounded fine.

Nah, I think the guitars probably sounds pretty good in person, just not very representative audio in this particular video.

My SSH is amazing. It's as simple as that. I got one from the "regular" run, and I've never experienced a guitar with this much range before.

I can only say that my 'regular non-10 top' PRS Semi-Hollow Special is AMAZING too!! I still can't believe that its not a 10 top - just look at it!!!

MNZdo85.jpg

I think its a stunning looking instrument but it plays and sounds better! I don't have favourites or a number 1 when it comes guitars - they all have their unique qualities and roles in my collection - but I can honestly say, I will not want to sell my SSH.

You really ought to try one out yourself and not rely on a youtube video with the players settings as a definitive sound sample. You gave no idea how they have EQ'd their gear and how it was recorded/compressed either...

Back