Prs special semi-hollow limited (core super eagle?)

THIS. He idolized Coltrane and used that “Giant Steps”- like approach to soloing over changes. In some Dead eras, when Jerry is on fire, if you close your eyes (so to speak) he almost sounds like John Scofield or John McLaughin - just flying through melodies and arpeggios, connecting them chromaticly, etc...
I'm a fan of both Garcia and Scofield. However, to my ear, they sound nothing alike. They both have unique, musical, styles, but pretty wildly different. They're both pretty unmistakable, not just from each other, but quite broadly

I'm a fan of both Garcia and Scofield. However, to my ear, they sound nothing alike. They both have unique, musical, styles, but pretty wildly different. They're both pretty unmistakable, not just from each other, but quite broadly

Oh, yea I’d agree with that. I was just trying to compliment Garcia for incorporating fusion as an element of his playing, that might not have always been apparent. I just happened to hear some Dead jams, from the era with the keyboardist who played the Rhodes, and mostly from POV of Jerry’s note choices, he made some furious runs that reminded a bit of those guys at their fusion heights, and it surprised me in the moment. But yes, they are very different players in most respects.

Random aside: Cool how much Sco has been embraced by the jamband community in recent years, sitting in with Gov’t Mule and Medeski Martin & Wood. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Yes sir, same here. Sco is my main jazz listen for the past few decades. It’s saxaphone on guitar, his groove is also a mile deep.

Many years ago, when I was in music school, the intellectual effetists who couldn't actually play would always say that they were "influenced" by Coltrane and Bird. That was supposed to somehow mystically raise their playing to another level. While I understand what Trane and Bird were playing, I personally don't consider this the nexus of music. They were great musicians. We need to pay attention to what they did. They left their audience behind at the time. I don't play for myself, I couldn't go there.

Is the measurement of the body the same as a traditional Custom 22, or is it thicker to accommodate the semi-hollow?
Um...I don't know. I'll see if I can compare tonight or sometime soon. Probably just the same as a regular CU22.

Many years ago, when I was in music school, the intellectual effetists who couldn't actually play would always say that they were "influenced" by Coltrane and Bird. That was supposed to somehow mystically raise their playing to another level. While I understand what Trane and Bird were playing, I personally don't consider this the nexus of music. They were great musicians. We need to pay attention to what they did. They left their audience behind at the time. I don't play for myself, I couldn't go there.

Inspiration’s a subjective thing; everyone assembles their own mental collection of dusty bits and pieces. I’ll use myself as an example of a crappy musician who might claim to be inspired by great ones.

In a perfect world, there’s no way I make a living in music. If I was in your music school class, you’d have said, “The dude can’t even play happy birthday.”

On the plus side of the ledger. I can create a nice melody and make a recording that sounds good. And kinda know what to do when someone says, “Here’s film, write some music for it.”

I’ve never played real jazz. I don’t have the chops or chromatic sophistication. But one night a few years ago I was at a party with a bunch of other music folks and music biz people, and had a unique experience. Marcus Belgrave had his horn with him and wanted to play. No one else spoke up. I figured WTF. I sat down at the piano and tried to be McCoy Tyner, which, c’mon, I have no idea what McCoy Tyner even did. Way over my head. I repeat, I have no jazz legitimacy.

But Marcus and I connected, and in all honesty, both of us had a good time for a few hours.

Can a musical slob like me claim to be legitimately inspired by McCoy Tyner? Well, there doesn’t seem to be a test anyone has to pass in order to qualify. So yeah, I’m insprired by McCoy Tyner, man. ;)

Pretty much anyone has a right to say they’re inspired by great players, in my book, even if, like me, they suck.

Also one other thing was pretty cool; like so many great players (Marcus was internationally known for his playing and writing) the dude was an overwhelmingly ‘generous’ guy to play with. By that I mean, he wasn’t judgmental, worked with what little I could do with a big smile, and just went about enjoying playing.

Last edited:
this is what i meant: players drop the names, but that’s where it ends — they didn’t really listen to jazz music beyond those big guns, same as so many neoclassical players namecheck paganini and bach because yngwie does. and you can hear it in the playing.

no slight on garcia or anyone here meant, jeez!

and les, i would have liked to hear your mccoy tyner set! even ‘happy birthday’.

and les, i would have liked to hear your mccoy tyner set! even ‘happy birthday’.

Marcus Belgrave was the bee’s knees on trumpet. What’s amazing is how patient he was with my limited skills, and how nice he was about the whole thing.

I hope I never forget that evening.

“Dude, you can’t even remember what you had for breakfast.”

“I skipped breakfast, nyah, nyah!”

McCoy Tyner is a genius player. Like JXE said, my comment was directed at pretentious players, not the musicians who influence us all. I don't have to announce my influences, and you probably played better that you thought you did, Les. If we play from the heart, we can nail some unforgettable moments. It''s always a question of what you play, not what you know. Sometimes cool stuff just leaks out of our brains. And the PRS Semi hollow they showed at Experience would get me close enough to an Eagle to be happy sonically.

These look really cool. I played Tosca's Super Eagle, such a sexy guitar. I just don't know if I could get on with one long term because that middle pup with 24 frets doesn't leave much room for the tip of my pick. Anyways, cool guitars if you can get on with one, so many tones.

Yea I thought John was playing the NF alone a lot when I saw them. Some sort of split humbucker in the middle is key to Garcia’s tone. And when I saw the NF on the SE when it was announced, I thought it made perfect sense. So this must be wired differently than the SE right?

(Random aside: has the narrow 408 pickup ever been tried as a middle pickup? Is it that much larger than a NF?)

Looks like an amazing guitar, but my WL semi-hollow 408 kinda checks similar boxes. I swear that guitar can handle anything -that’s my desert island guitar, or more practically, one I could bring to any audition, session or gig and feel totally set.

Getting Strat-like positions 4 and 2 on this SH Special is really cool though, making its versatility pretty astounding. I hope they make this a permanent Core model.
The narrow 408 in the middle is a proven recipe.
THE+BURL-HEADED+BEAST.jpg

The tone is worthy. The real estate for picking becomes quite premium, but you can get used to it. I have an NF3 and it’s a different vibe.

how is the pickup in the way of the picking?
I’m not used to having such a large pickup underneath where I usually play. A strat single coil is one thing, this is much different. This guitar has ultra low action, too, so that’s good for something.

The narrow 408 in the middle is a proven recipe.
THE+BURL-HEADED+BEAST.jpg

The tone is worthy. The real estate for picking becomes quite premium, but you can get used to it. I have an NF3 and it’s a different vibe.

Wow, I mean WOW. That guitar is gorgeous and the feature set is amazing!!! I’m a huge fan of the whole 408 platform. Gives me more food for thought of one day just going PS, and coming up with a dream guitar like that. Bravo, sir!

So can you get Strat position 2 and 4 type sounds with the pups tapped? My 408 is SH like that, but with a RW neck - I know the narrow 408 tapped sounds remarkably Strat- like, so I can only imagine the variety you can get with a 408 in the middle too. So cool, congrats and enjoy!!

Wow, I mean WOW. That guitar is gorgeous and the feature set is amazing!!! I’m a huge fan of the whole 408 platform. Gives me more food for thought of one day just going PS, and coming up with a dream guitar like that. Bravo, sir!

So can you get Strat position 2 and 4 type sounds with the pups tapped? My 408 is SH like that, but with a RW neck - I know the narrow 408 tapped sounds remarkably Strat- like, so I can only imagine the variety you can get with a 408 in the middle too. So cool, congrats and enjoy!!
My favorite Strats are loaded with Lollar single coils, and I’ve really not found other pickups to have the same sensitivity and tone. The 408s to me sound more in the P90 arena, which I believe is what they were really designed around. The 408 pickups have a unique sound to me that are extremely versatile; they sound as mellow and edgy as you like. But to say they approach position 2 and 4 tones, I wouldn’t go there. What would REALLY interest me is a 408 pickup that was specifically and uniquely wound for the middle position. A pipe dream, I know, but perhaps the NF is better suited, and that’s why we have the 20th Anni PS and now the Special SH. Let’s just say I’m very interested in the possibilities...

So I looked at it last night (and played it!). Same thickness as regular Custom 22/24, AFAICT.

Man, that makes this model even more attractive IMHO. While McCarty based PRS are fine - the original Custom 22/24 just feels “right” on my shoulder and belly. These WL runs aren’t helping either. Damn you GAS!!

Back