Prs special semi-hollow limited (core super eagle?)

special_semihollow_2018_photo1.jpg

The darn youtube video wont play. I’ve got a call into NStuff Music now to availability and price. That River Blue color is exactly my favorite shade of blue.

I love the specs and the color!!!!! Nice one!!

Forgive me if I missed it someplace here, but what is the price of this beautiful little toy?

Does the SE not allow for the middle pickup/narrowfield to play alone? Surprised this one doesn’t. Not that this is supposed to be an SE, but that middle pickup is key to many of the Jerry Garcia tones that the SE was designed to be able to do.

This is my biggest "gripe" with the guitar...assuming that's what you are getting it for, that's kind of the point of the Super Eagle. I've mulled it over all weekend and decided to pass on this one. Give me Super Eagle or give me death at this point!

This is my biggest "gripe" with the guitar...assuming that's what you are getting it for, that's kind of the point of the Super Eagle. I've mulled it over all weekend and decided to pass on this one. Give me Super Eagle or give me death at this point!
Really ? I've watched hours and hours of Dead & Company live videos and Mayer seems to LIVE in the 2nd position (which is my favorite tone - bridge & middle pup).
That middle pickup alone is always honky to my ears.

So PRS are just copying another John Mayer signature guitar.

Was concerned you might say “OJ” ;)

This ain't no Super Eagle, folks. Shorter scale, two less frets, different pickups, no split on the Narrowfield, no pre-amp, no maple back. Although it is surely the next best thing.

TAKE MY MONEY.

Very nice sounding concept. Too bad the middle pickup can’t stand alone. Why not an “add bridge” and a standard 5-way? ...
Or a push pull to activate the narrowfield like the old Studio model?

I think they made a great call for versatility without overwhelming the user. However, I have an easy mod for this. It just involves replacing the tone pot with a push/pull. In one push/pull position, middle on the switch is neck/bridge, and in the other you get middle alone.

You could of course do the "add bridge" mod as well if you want the option of all three pups on at once.

this is getting deep! carry on.

also, there are prices in the listing links over on the dealer forum.

Really ? I've watched hours and hours of Dead & Company live videos and Mayer seems to LIVE in the 2nd position (which is my favorite tone - bridge & middle pup).

I am perplexed as to why this is being compared to the Super Eagle - it reminds me more the PS 20th Anniversary, I remember in a discussion with Les I ask him why the PS 20th did noot have mini switches. I'd like it to be the 594 scale but must admit I am quite taken irregardless.

Well, there are some significant differences, actually.

The PS20 Ltd is, of course, a solid body, and the pickups are Paul’s 408s with the NF middle. There aren’t individual coil splits; the tapped combinations are in positions 2 and 4 on the blade switch.

This new one’s pickups are humbuckers with switches splitting the coils. So it’s a little bit different.

Also, PS20 has a 24.594 scale length; the mahogany’s thicker in back, the maple’s thinner on top, the trem has locking saddles. And Madagascar RW on the fretboard, which if course, isn’t a big deal, but I mention it.

Anyway, it sounds quite different from this new model.

So I was thinking out loud yesterday at dinner and said "Hmmm....I wonder if this new PRS would sound better through a Dumble clone...you know a Two Rock ?"
My wife gave me a look that would melt Thanos, Thor & Ironman in a heartbeat.

I’ve gotten that same look, and for the same reason. When each of the T-Rs arrived, well, let’s just say that I wasn’t all that popular for a while. :eek:

But you would’ve loved to hear my CU22 Semi-Hollow Ltd from 2010 with one of the Custom Reverb Sigs that I had here. It was a pretty awesome tone.

Oh Mayer is definitely spending a lot of time in 2nd position (my personal fav!). Jerry played more in the middle position, so it'd be great to have that as well. It looks like "middle" position is really both outside pickups.

OMG, I want one of these. I may have come home with one had I gone on Sat... and suffered the wrath of my better half, haha...

Got anything McCarty Tobacco I could look at for inspiration?
Sadly, that finish has also avoided me, but it’s one of my favorites. I’m a touch high maintenance on its proper execution: teardrop with the burnt wine look as opposed to straight black, and on top of excellent curly maple. Still looking...

I’m thinking the same thing regarding this model.

But I’m always hijacked by some other color. Life’s strange. Then there’s death, which seems even stranger, and at this point, somewhat unnecessary.

But there’s certainly no explaining color choices!

Maybe I’ll do a PS in some combination no one but me likes, and break the internet. It would be a fitting way to go out, don’t ya think?
I’m holding out for a full hollow body 594,
A core version of the PS limited they came out with at the beginning of the year.
In what color?
That’s right McCarty tobacco burst.

Does the SE not allow for the middle pickup/narrowfield to play alone? Surprised this one doesn’t. Not that this is supposed to be an SE, but that middle pickup is key to many of the Jerry Garcia tones that the SE was designed to be able to do.

Yea I thought John was playing the NF alone a lot when I saw them. Some sort of split humbucker in the middle is key to Garcia’s tone. And when I saw the NF on the SE when it was announced, I thought it made perfect sense. So this must be wired differently than the SE right?

(Random aside: has the narrow 408 pickup ever been tried as a middle pickup? Is it that much larger than a NF?)

Looks like an amazing guitar, but my WL semi-hollow 408 kinda checks similar boxes. I swear that guitar can handle anything -that’s my desert island guitar, or more practically, one I could bring to any audition, session or gig and feel totally set.

Getting Strat-like positions 4 and 2 on this SH Special is really cool though, making its versatility pretty astounding. I hope they make this a permanent Core model.

Back