PRS Special 22 semihollow vs traditional Es 335 semihollow?

I would say they are not in the same ballpark. Completely different construction. The PRS is going to be pretty similar to a solid body. The ES 335 should have a laminated body, shorter scale length and is a lot more hollow. Both are great but not substitutes in my opinion.

I would say they are not in the same ballpark. Completely different construction. The PRS is going to be pretty similar to a solid body. The ES 335 should have a laminated body, shorter scale length and is a lot more hollow. Both are great but not substitutes in my opinion.
Completely agree. I'd think the SE Hollowbody would be the closest to the 335, based on construction?

To my ear they are similar , The 335 is really a mainly a solid body guitar with hollow wings. and the ones I have played alongside my SSH they have a very similar warmth and roundness to the sound. The Narrowfield in the center and the coil taps of the SSH gives it a different dimension. the smaller size of the SSH makes it easier to play and its lighter than the 335s I have played the 335 might have better upper fret access LOVE them both. own a SSH

I deleted my previous post in this thread because I was talking out of my hat.
I try not to do that.

I will say this instead even though it contributes zero to the thread.
(I just wanted to show one of my prettier guitars...:))

I can't say because I have not played an SSH yet
but there are some really nice ES 335s out there.

vBXUBsM.jpg

nygtXS3.jpg

Last edited:
I was a semi-hollow and thin hollow body guy for over 25 years. I owned an ES335 many years ago, a Heritage H535, Ibanez and Gretsch models, recently. I switched to a S2 Semi-hollow Singlecut. It is actually livelier than the other semi-hollows. Being carved, It reacts and feeds back more like a full hollow body. I haven't tried a Special Semi-hollow, but I would like to.

I have seen you post your S2 Singlecut semi-hollow before chicagoslim, and now I pretty much have to have one. I like the wide/slim neck on my CE24 and wonder about the difference on yours. Very nice top on it. Others I have seen are not as nice. It’s a similar shape to my SE Tremonti Custom and a semi-hollow, what’s not to like.

I have seen you post your S2 Singlecut semi-hollow before chicagoslim, and now I pretty much have to have one. I like the wide/slim neck on my CE24 and wonder about the difference on yours. Very nice top on it. Others I have seen are not as nice. It’s a similar shape to my SE Tremonti Custom and a semi-hollow, what’s not to like.

My S2 Singlecut Semi was my first S2 guitar and I now own three of them. I started with Wide/Fat necks and easily adjusted to the Pattern/Regular. The picture that I posted, is a guitar shop, high contrast photo. The guitar looks less dramatic, in person. Here is one of my photo's, after I changed the knobs.

I see the pickups have been replaced. I assume they were the number 7 pickups originally. Did you replace or did someone else and what Seymour Duncan pickups are they?

My S2 SC SH came with Seymour Duncan, Saturday Night Special pickups. They do have a vintage (Gibson like) sound. But, they do sound good when split. I also have S2 guitars with 85/15S pickups that I like. And a S2 Custom 22, with Porter Gatekeepers. The Porter pickups also have a warmer vintage sound.

I'm a big fan of semis. I own a SSH, a Rickenbacker 360, a Collings I-35lc, Collings I-35lc Vintage, and I also have a Collings I-30lc (full hollow body). Of all of those, the full hollow body sounds the most acoustic and stands out as very unique. The Rick 360 probably sounds the least hollow, but with the neck pickup can get into jazz territory (which no one ever seems to consider). My Collings 35s sound like 335s, but with different flavors.

To my ears, a 335 sounds like a softer Les Paul, without the big mid-range brick wall thud. Likewise, my Collings 35s have that soft attack rounder vibe. All of these can get in LP territory, Tele territory, and do the jazz and liquids lead tone thing really nicely.

The SSH is more of a solid body in design. I don't think the small semi chamber makes it too close to any of the others I mentioned. However, there is something about the semi cavity and the spring resonance that actually does add a breathy airy quality to the tone when playing clean and using the neck pickup. I think the more dirty you go, the less it sounds like a 335.

The SSH shines in so many ways. It really can cop strat 2/4 tones (obviously not as well as a Silver Sky) and so much more. It can cut heads, play clean, do a decent jazz tone, and much more due to the cool narrow field and endless pickup combinations. If you wanted just one guitar to cover everything, get a SSH. If you are chasing a true 335 vibe, get a 335 or equivalent copy.

I was a semi-hollow and thin hollow body guy for over 25 years. I owned an ES335 many years ago, a Heritage H535, Ibanez and Gretsch models, recently. I switched to a S2 Semi-hollow Singlecut. It is actually livelier than the other semi-hollows. Being carved, It reacts and feeds back more like a full hollow body. I haven't tried a Special Semi-hollow, but I would like to.

Oh that Red……….

Well I broke down and bought a 2014 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow due to the pics by chicagoslim and his fondness of them. Nice guitar. Plays well and I don’t mind the stock #7 pickups. Little different neck than my wide slim necks on my other PRS, but not too different. Don’t use hosting sites for my photo’s so sorry no pics. It’s a tobacco burst though. I keep saying there needs to be an easier way to upload pics here.

Last edited:
I've owned an ES 335 and currently own an SSH. Completely different animals, in my view!

To me, the ES 335 sounds like a rounder, hollower Les Paul in the rhythm position, and gets pretty close to Les Paul territory in the bridge position.

The SSH's two humbucking positions don't sound as huge as an ES 335. I think the thinner body has to do with it. The SSH humbuckers sound more focused, have better top-end clarity and cut through so much better than my old ES 335. The narrowfield is its own thing too. Not thin quacky like a strat, but a rounder quack.

But the biggest difference to me is in playing ergonomics and weight. That ES 335 sounded glorious but was a pain to play, the wide body gave me neck and shoulder cramps. The SSH is light as a feather, and fits against my body like the most comfortable strat.

Well I broke down and bought a 2014 S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow due to the pics by chicagoslim and his fondness of them. Nice guitar. Plays well and I don’t mind the stick #7 pickups. Little different neck than my wide slim necks on my other PRS, but not too different. Don’t use hosting sites for my photo’s so sorry no pics. It’s a tobacco burst though. I keep saying there needs to be an easier way to upload pics here.
Sweet as sweet!

But the biggest difference to me is in playing ergonomics and weight. That ES 335 sounded glorious but was a pain to play, the wide body gave me neck and shoulder cramps. The SSH is light as a feather, and fits against my body like the most comfortable strat.

I always jokingly say that playing my Custom Shop 335 was like driving a 1954 Buick. Fun for a short spin, just didn't enjoy the antique ergonomics, and didn't keep it very long. I'll admit that I also prefer the PRS tone, but that's hardly an objective comment.

Yes, the 335 has a solid center block with glued-on wings, but there are so many differences in the construction of the guitar, and the hardware, that the SSH sounds very different from a 335.

Yes, it has a semi-hollow hollow resonant peak, but the frequency of the peak is different, probably owing to the size of the 335's wings, their depth, and their materials (laminate pretty much everywhere on the top and back vs solid carved). And laminated woods behave differently when vibrated than solid woods. The hardware's different, the scale length is different...and lots more.

The Special Semi-Hollow has a tighter, more solid bottom end, the lower midrange is also tighter (by 'tighter' I mean that there's a faster, more defined attack giving less mush), and a thicker upper midrange.

It does have an airy top end, and does things the 335 can't do, with its switching options. I'd rather have the SSH. But if you truly need a 335, get a 335.

My S2 Singlecut Semi was my first S2 guitar and I now own three of them. I started with Wide/Fat necks and easily adjusted to the Pattern/Regular. The picture that I posted, is a guitar shop, high contrast photo. The guitar looks less dramatic, in person. Here is one of my photo's, after I changed the knobs.

I am digging the single chevron in the grain that is sweet! No question on which one is yours.

Back