PRS Special 22 semihollow vs traditional Es 335 semihollow?

LShefman, I LOVE the 54 Buick comparison. The reason I let mine go was I play seated and it was too big and NOT comfortable for me at all. “ I am 6’ 3”. (and bony) :cool: .

I completely understand!

I love vintage tones, and the sound of a good 335 is right up there with the best. But all the ergonomics were wrong for me, from the body size and feel right down to the placement of the strap button and output jack. I felt like I was playing a guitar from the wrong era, best suited to a different person.

Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with liking them. Just means it isn't for me.

The same thing happens when I play Fender's Strats and Teles, yet I had a couple of Anderson Strats and Teles that I thought were ergonomically quite nice. The devil does indeed seem to be in the details.

Having a 335 I'd agree that it is closest to the SE Hollowbody . Except for the center block ( which is now got a large hollowed out are behind the bridge) the 335 is all hollow inside . Mine sustains like crazy

i agree with bodia about the ssh not being in the same ballpark, but the se hollowbodies being close.

Having a 335 I'd agree that it is closest to the SE Hollowbody . Except for the center block ( which is now got a large hollowed out are behind the bridge) the 335 is all hollow inside . Mine sustains like crazy
Wait, what? I have a 335 and it is not all hollow inside. There is a maple center block running right down the middle of the body of it. My PRS hollowbody guitars are all hollow inside except the pillar that the bridge is mounted in.

The Memphis 335's update the design , the routed the center block behind the bridge , cleaned up the lines which had gotten mutated by worn equipment and slapped in some great vintage pickups ( MH II) . There are videos of those changes .

I would say that in General, PRS Hollowbodies are more like the Gibson Semi-Hollow 335's than a PRS 'semi-hollow'. That maybe because the body of PRS is smaller, and therefore the 'hollow' space maybe similar to a large body 335 with a Centre Block. It may also be the difference between a Laminated and therefore consistently 'thin' top, back and sides vs Solid Wood that's 'carved' to shape. Not saying the Semi-Hollow doesn't make any difference, but I'd say its subtle at best - when comparing a PRS semi-hollow to the exact same model in a Solid version.

With PRS Semi-Hollows, the chamber can't be too big as the Mahogany has to be 'thick' enough to be the back and sides and the guitars aren't exactly that 'thick' to start. So I doubt there is too much 'flex' vs the semi-hollow Laminated wood style construction method used by Gibson.

The way I hear it - taking the fact that they are 'different' instruments made by different companies etc - PRS 'semi-hollows' are more like 'weight-relieved' Solid Body guitars than a 'traditional Gibson large body semi-hollow' and the 'closest' I can get is with a 'full' Hollowbody PRS. So if you want that more 'airy' 335 like tone, then go for the HB. If you want a lighter, incredibly versatile guitar - go for the Special.

I have the Special Semi-Hollow and both a HBii and 594 HB and 'both' the Hollowbodies have advantages to me over the 335 - the body size and playability, the modern features (Piezo or coil splits for example) etc and use these where I would use a 335 and the Special is more a lightweight (well 'light' compared to a lot of Electric guitars) versatile instrument.

The Memphis 335's update the design , the routed the center block behind the bridge , cleaned up the lines which had gotten mutated by worn equipment and slapped in some great vintage pickups ( MH II) . There are videos of those changes .
Do you know what year they started doing this? My 335 is a 2003 and definitely has the full block. I don't stay on top of everything Gibson does. I am much more in the know on PRS.

they talk about it in this vid .. 2016 I believe
Looks like they started that in 2018. It is interesting to see what they did with it. It is basically a chamber in the center block that is fully enclosed. They did say that they tested it extensively to make sure they didn't change the tone of the guitar with it.

I have 2 ,the later one has the lightend center block , it sustains a bit better , no significant impact on tone.

Back