PRS Special 22 hum w/single coil

I played one of these through a 64 Super, in various switch positions, and there was no perceptible hum. The same quiet was shown on the demo videos that PRS put out around the release.

There is indeed.

Bottom line is single coil mode on the pickup is the SLUG COIL ONLY. The screw coil is not active. There is nothing in place to counteract any of the hum.

I thought in the special22 they used "MT" multitap pickups, which didnt actually split only the slug coil out. It includes winds from the other coil to get more volume and should reduce some of the hum.

A coil 'Split' is just that - one half of a Humbucker is grounded so you only get 1 active Coil. This is why its called a Split because you are splitting the two coils into 1 active single coil.

A Coil Tap is more of an output reduction - at some point in the winds, a wire is run out to a switch so you can change from the full winds to a Humbucker with fewer winds. I don't know if the 58/15 MT's tap one or both of the coils but you are not getting just a Single Coil working (like a Split does) but both working but with a reduced output to give two different tonalities. Its often used with 'Hot' Pick-ups to reduce the output to a more vintage sound - great for cleans and pairing with other musicians and their lower output Single coils.

I am NOT going to be drawn into an argument over this and, if you do your own research, you will find that this is the 'standard' differences between a Split and Tapped option across all brands. Whether PRS are using the same terminology or not (I assume they are) then this is the difference between a Coil Split (literally splitting 2 Coils so only 1 works) and a Coil Tap (taking a wire out to reduce the windings on 1 or both coils). Where ever you look across the wealth of information inc those from well known after-market pick-up makers like Seymour Duncan, this is the difference between a Split and a Tap. The clue is in the name!!

I am not going to argue about whether the multi-tap 58/15's are correctly named or not, not going to argue whether 1 or both are tapped to reduce the output as you would expect from a tapped humbucker etc but the 'official' difference between a Split and Tapped is that Split leaves 1 coil active and tapped leaves both coils active but reduces the output. You can search through Pick-up makers (like Seymour Duncan https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/what-is-coil-tapping ) who have answered the question 'what's the difference between a Split and a Tapped Humbucker?'

Again, not arguing who criticising anyone at all but because PRS have said these are 'multi-tapped' pick-ups, I am going to assume that these are actually tapped and not split meaning that one or both coils (probably both if they are 'multi' tapped) are tapped and therefore BOTH are working and not just the one single coil as a Split would mean.

Back