PRS Sonzera

Anyone care to speculate which preamp tube (or tubes) are for the gain channel? I'm interested in trying out some slightly lower gain tubes to see how it impacts that quick gain knob taper; looking at JJ 5751, and the JJ ECC83-MG (mid gain).Thoughts?

I wasn't sure if I need more than one, and if so, do they need to be ordered as matched triodes/balanced? While I'm on that topic, best place online to order these? I've ordered from the Tubestore.com in the past; it's been a spell though.

Looks like the 50w Sonzera has three Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG and one JJ ECC835; I'm not finding any more specific details than that.

thanks!

Usually the preamp closest to the input jack is your first stage tube. In the case of the earlier PRS 2 channel amps, each 1/2 of the tube was a gain stage for one or the other channel; the tube was "split" so to say. So changing the tube would affect both channels.

That being said, I've always been a fan of the 5751. They're lower gain and warmer sounding, less grit and more velvety breakup.

Usually the preamp closest to the input jack is your first stage tube. In the case of the earlier PRS 2 channel amps, each 1/2 of the tube was a gain stage for one or the other channel; the tube was "split" so to say. So changing the tube would affect both channels.

That being said, I've always been a fan of the 5751. They're lower gain and warmer sounding, less grit and more velvety breakup.

Thanks! Would I just need to swap out that one tube? I am thinking this amp could benefit; the gain comes on very quickly

Yes, that will decrease your gain noticeably. More than likely the other two 12ax7's are individual for each channel, so if you still have too much gain you could swap those as well as needed per channel.

Yes, that will decrease your gain noticeably. More than likely the other two 12ax7's are individual for each channel, so if you still have too much gain you could swap those as well as needed per channel.

Thanks! I think I read somewhere that the reverb is tube driven as well, that might account for the extra preamp tube?

Thanks! I think I read somewhere that the reverb is tube driven as well, that might account for the extra preamp tube?

Yeah, that's pretty common.

Edit: I wonder if the loop and phase inverter are SS on this amp? I have no qualms with it if they are. The PI on my SE30 was very sensitive to the point that there was only 1 tube out of many I tried that I liked the sound of, kind of a hassle.

I'm on a weekend trip to Nashville, there's a dealer with a Sonzera 50 head in stock on my route home... the battle of self control has begun.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been covered in this thread, I had a skim through and couldn't see it. Anyway I'm thinking of getting a Sonzera 20 but if need to sell my blackstar to afford it which means it would need to have a headphone jack with an emulated out for silent practice. Does it have one? I play through headphones a lot and don't know if I could justify buying one to only use it a couple of times a week.

This amp is doing just fine by me so far! I let my buddies band use my Sonzera 50w head + Friedman Runt 2x12 cab last night; they were doing some recording in their studio.

Sounded good! He was using his pedalboard and tele; just the clean channel but we tested the dirt channel too.

It's a nice sounding pair of channels; but the gain channel comes on very quickly, as others have noted. I'd like to try some lower gain preamp tube or tubes in there, see how it does.

Going to run my pedalboard through it tonight and tomorrow, with a Line6 M9 in the FX loop. Seems to take pedals well!

The dual master volume controls take some experimenting with to get the tonal balance you want, but I have been pretty happy with the tones so far! The dual, per-channel bright switches are useful, and the per channel reverb is nice.

It's certainly plenty loud, that's for sure. And I've got some time to consider before return period expires, we'll see! Definitely happy with the head; had been thinking I would get the 50w combo, but really liking the head and 2x12 cab.

Cheers!

Sorry if this has been covered in this thread, I had a skim through and couldn't see it. Anyway I'm thinking of getting a Sonzera 20 but if need to sell my blackstar to afford it which means it would need to have a headphone jack with an emulated out for silent practice. Does it have one? I play through headphones a lot and don't know if I could justify buying one to only use it a couple of times a week.
There does not appear to be a headphone out in any of the shots or descriptions of any of the Sonzera amps. Maybe I missed it. But it looks like you are out of luck. Sorry.

One thing I'll say about PRS amps, they're not made for whisper quiet home practicing, they sound ok at low volumes but better loud. Made to be cranked up. Even 20 watts is a fairly loud amp for home use.

You should probably buy one and start gigging with it :D

One thing I'll say about PRS amps, they're not made for whisper quiet home practicing, they sound ok at low volumes but better loud. Made to be cranked up. Even 20 watts is a fairly loud amp for home use.

You should probably buy one and start gigging with it :D

No headphone out, no speaker emulation.

For what it's worth, I have had excellent results pairing my Helix and Fryette PS2 for direct/silent recording with amps that are not equipped to do so as is..

Use the Fryette as speaker load, turn the volume down to 0 on the PS2; adjust amp volume to usual settings. Run XLR or 1/4" out of Fryette into Helix. I have a patch set up with two IR's; can record the PS2 direct amp only signal, and also record both of the amp + IR signals to their own channel.

Messed a bit with this rig with Sonzera; works great!

Another (non PRS) option you might consider is the Friedman Runt20. It has built in speaker load box, which allows it to run silent; and has an analog, cab simulated XLR out. Run that to your soundcard or mixer, add headphones..

I've got the Runt50 combo; tis a stellar amp, but no speaker load box. I've used the PS2+Helox with it as well for direct recording.

I have really been liking the IR packs by 3Sigma. I might have to get their PRS stealth 4x12 cab IR's..

Cheers!

Anyone care to speculate which preamp tube (or tubes) are for the gain channel? I'm interested in trying out some slightly lower gain tubes to see how it impacts that quick gain knob taper; looking at JJ 5751, and the JJ ECC83-MG (mid gain).Thoughts?

Ok, so I ordered a JJ "mid gain" 12ax7 and a JJ 5751, should be here tomorrow. Will make some time this weekend to try each of those in the V1 slot, see how that alters the gain channel.

For what it's worth, here are those two and the stock Ruby gain ratings for comparison

Ruby 12ax7-ac5 : gain rating 5.3

JJ mid gain 12ax7 : gain rating 4.3

JJ 5751 : gain rating 3.7

Cheers!

Ok, so I ordered a JJ "mid gain" 12ax7 and a JJ 5751, should be here tomorrow.

Yes! The tubes arrived today - the tubestore.com works fast. From what I have read, my best approach to get the slight gain reduction is start with the 5751 in the V1 slot, and maybe try the JJ ECC83-MG in the PI slot in place of the JJ ECC83-S that is in there 'stock'.

I might be mistaken, correct me if so - I can swap V1 and the PI tube without needing to do any bias changes to the amp correct?

Thanks!

You should only need to bias if you change the output tubes.

Thanks Andy! I spent some time last night testing various combinations of preamp tubes in the PI and VI.
Definitely interesting! I heard some combinations I really liked, some I really didn't like, and other in which one channel sounded better over the other.

With certain tubes in the PI slot I was noticing a sort of 'thump' when changing channels that wasn't there with the stock JJ or stock Ruby in the PI slot.
It did seem to go away after toggling between the channels a few times and getting the two sets of levels set reasonably balanced.

I got up this morning and tried another combination that I am really liking - though was also getting the channel switch thump, then it went away.

Anyway, here's what I've noted thus far, in order of testing them:

(last night)
1.) JJ-ECC83-MG in the PI, and a JJ-5751 in V1:
-This seems to create the lowest 'white noise' floor of all the combinations. Definitely noticeably less white noise than the stock setup.
-This does reduce the overall amount of gain - I was able to turn the drive dial full clockwise and by working the level still get crunch / non fizzy tones.
-Channel switching makes a big 'thump'. Seemed to go away after a few changes; but cause for concern?

2.) Ruby 12ax7 (from V1) in PI, JJ-ECC83-MG in V2, and JJ-5751 in V1:
-I did not like this at all! It brought back all the white noise, and made the 'feel' of the amp much stiffer. The gain range was still reduced but felt more shrill. I didn't spend much time on this config.
-No 'thump' when channel switching.

3.) Stock (JJ-ECC83S) in PI, and JJ-5751 in V1:
-Better than the Ruby in PI, but still more 'intense' (not a bad thing, but not what I was trying to achieve.
-No 'thump' when channel switching.

(this morning)
4.) JJ-5751 in PI and JJ-ECC83-MG in V1:
-I like this one alot! Brings the white noise back down and makes the amp feel less stiff.
-Channel change thump at first, then went away.
-Gain feels a bit more gritty than with 5751 in V1 but is a very useable range.
-I like what this does for the clean channel too; cranking up the volume doesn't make it sound harsh. Can get nice balance of volume and master.

Not sure if I prefer #1 or #4, but I prefer both of those to 'stock', and to the options #2 and #3. By far. Stock clean is still likely the best of the bunch though.
I think #4 might be the better clean and #1 the better gain; not sure. I will play it a bit more with the tubes as is, then try going back to #1, see if it still dose the channel change thump, and note
how much different the clean sounds; but if I had to stop right now, I'd be pretty happy with the results!

I might try getting another of each tube, so I could try 5751 in both PI and V1, and the mid-gain JJ in both V1 and PI.

My impressions are to be taken in context; in a small carpeted room in my basement that I've commandeered as a home studio. I still need to treat the room with bass traps, so the EQ is a bit off in here, but I was
noticing pretty obvious difference in the gain useability with these two tube swaps. Need to spend some time with it at the jam spot with the guys this afternoon, see if I still feel the same, but - very encouraged.

Using a pair of 1x12 cabs here, one is open back, the other is closed back, Celestion G12H-90 in both cabs. Using a Friedman 2x12 with V30's at the jam spot, which sounds considerably better than these two, so I'm curious to hear.
Will report back good, bad or otherwise.

Thanks for the tube tips Andy, I appreciate it!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying that amp and the tips helped! Gonna have to try one of those when they show up in my area.

So, CF, what's the impression of the amp tones? I hear a vintage, bluesy vibe on the lead channel and sweet tones on the cleans, but since you have the experience of actually "feeling" it when you play, I'd love to hear more...

So, CF, what's the impression of the amp tones? I hear a vintage, bluesy vibe on the lead channel and sweet tones on the cleans, but since you have the experience of actually "feeling" it when you play, I'd love to hear more...

I was hoping to get more time with it than I have; I seem to be getting mixed results with the preamp tube rolling. I might set the stock tubes back in for a spell, and see how I feel about the comparison.

I took it back to the studio Sunday to let my buddies band use it for recording, but they ended up using my Runt 50 combo for both guitarists instead. Which was also awesome! And loud; very very loud.. But no love for the PRS this go around.

I actually had a bit crazy dual-pedalboard, dual-amp rig going, but it was making some noise and not sounding stellar.. I was hoping to do a wet/dry recording thing, with Runt and Sonzera as the two amps, but it wasn't meant to be, so we just simplified things. I should have more time at home tomorrow, and hopefully back in the jam spot Friday night. I think I might put the stock tubes back in for comparison; part of my issue, is I don't love the cabs I am using at home; but I want to leave my Friedman 2x12 at the jam spot so I don't have to move it up and down the stairs coming and going..

I guess I need a decent home cab!

Last edited:

I am picking up a Friedman Dirty Shirley 1x12 open back cabinet after work tonight; will report back how it sounds with the Sonzera!

It's a wide 1x12 cab; 24", the same width as the PRS head. Has a 16ohm Celestion Creamback.

Won't be able to hit the jam spot Friday, so will test it at home after work tonight, tomorrow and before wife comes home Saturday afternoon..

:)

Back