PRS Signature strings: Quick thoughts

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
These intrigued me when they were launched some months ago but only recently arrived at my local guitar shop. Picked up today, installed these onto my 513 Rosewood .. and was blown away!!!
Two things stood out for me in particular
- harmonic quality to notes. The 513 has a harmonic bloom quality to begin with but this took this to another level
- Extremely easy to play. I look for an extremely smooth feel and they didn't disappoint.

It felt like my tapping skill almost improved overnight. It could also be the guitar (I haven't played this one in a while) but net I am very happy and highly recommend giving it a try.

The set I tried were 10-46s (the green packet) and installed in E tuning in case anyone's wondering

I think they're just rebadged D'addorios, aren't they?

According to PRS, they are unique and NOT a rebranded D'Addario - not at least one of D'Addario's own range of strings. In other words, these are not XL's, NYXL's or any other strings you can buy with D'Addario on the packet.

All I am saying is what PRS themselves have said. It seems similar to the Fret wire thing where PRS have their own specific wire that is not on any other brand guitars. I cannot confirm or deny that the strings are different to any of the D'Addario strings, only that PRS say they are unique to PRS. D'Addario maybe responsible or making them for PRS but it seems they don't use the same specs on any of their own ranges.

Worth giving a shot? I've recently tried the Slinky 9.5 gauge, and they felt great.

These intrigued me when they were launched some months ago but only recently arrived at my local guitar shop. Picked up today, installed these onto my 513 Rosewood .. and was blown away!!!
Two things stood out for me in particular
- harmonic quality to notes. The 513 has a harmonic bloom quality to begin with but this took this to another level
- Extremely easy to play. I look for an extremely smooth feel and they didn't disappoint.

It felt like my tapping skill almost improved overnight. It could also be the guitar (I haven't played this one in a while) but net I am very happy and highly recommend giving it a try.

The set I tried were 10-46s (the green packet) and installed in E tuning in case anyone's wondering

YouTube A/B coming up?

I’m guessing that most of us are up for something new. Am I right, or did I forget where I’m posting?

A couple guitars are overdue for new strings...

I'm due for some new strings so if I can find them locally I'll give them a shot. I love my nickel strings however so I may not be the target demographic for these. We shall see...

I'm always willing to try a new brand of strings because it's a relatively low cost experiment. I always go back to the pure nickle strings that I've used for years though.

Speaking of string experiments, I’m liking the hex core pure nickel strings I tried from Sono-Tone, and have them on most of my guitars now. The high frequencies are a bit stronger than with most pure nickel strings, yet they still have that real-deal, vintage, solidity of fundamental that I buy a nickel string for (as opposed to plated steel).

I should mention that they’re expensive, but my strings last a long time, so I don’t really mind spending a few extra bucks on a set.

I prefer pure nickel too. I haven't looked too closely but I ass/u/me from the comments that the PRS strings are all plated?

According to PRS, they are unique and NOT a rebranded D'Addario - not at least one of D'Addario's own range of strings. In other words, these are not XL's, NYXL's or any other strings you can buy with D'Addario on the packet.

All I am saying is what PRS themselves have said. It seems similar to the Fret wire thing where PRS have their own specific wire that is not on any other brand guitars. I cannot confirm or deny that the strings are different to any of the D'Addario strings, only that PRS say they are unique to PRS. D'Addario maybe responsible or making them for PRS but it seems they don't use the same specs on any of their own ranges.

Similar to Gen III tuners made by Gotoh. You can’t buy them anywhere else.

I’d like to try a set on a few different guitars. Any word on the tone vs pure nickel strings? That’s usually my deciding factor on what I use on each guitar, and it’s pure nickel on most.

They don't have 9 - 46 :(

After using the hybrids I feel like I can't go back
Same here. 9-46 or 10-whatever-bigger-than-46, best of both worlds.

I recently discovered the Ernieball Paradigm strings. Crazy expensive but I swear I have never had better strings. I don't know what the recipe is but they feel incredible, very smooth yet "solid" (can't describe that one) and sound fantatic. Not sure why they cost nearly three times more than regular strings.

@Jkater EB Paradigms are Ernie Ball's equivalent to the NYXL strings as in the ones that are designed to be stronger etc but also retain what EB are famous for ie their Slinky strings. I used Slinky's for years and years and the Paradigms were easy to switch to. Some strings take a bit of getting used to if you switch brands and/or type but moving from regular Slinky's to Paradigms wasn't a big deal. Like I said though, these are the ones that supposed to be stronger and comparable to D'addario's NYXL's that's why they are more expensive.

I am thinking of changing to pure Nickel. I am wondering if all these 'extra strong' strings are part of the reason we are seeing more and more fret wear. If the strings are harder than the frets, the frets will wear and obviously if the frets are harder than the strings, the strings will wear. The rate of wear is determined by the difference in hardness - if there is a big difference between the two materials, the wear will be faster. That's why I think there is greater fret wear now than there was in the 80's (or earlier) and why old guitars still have their original frets in a lot of cases. NYXL's and Paradigms seem to be the two most popular strings in recent years and maybe why people are wanting SS frets more and more.

I could be making assumptions that these stronger strings are causing more fret wear these days but the science is that a harder material will wear the softer material and to cut hard materials, you need even harder tools to do so...

I don't know much about PRS strings and what hardness they are compared to the hardness of the PRS frets but I would be very interested to hear whether or not strings and fret wear are ever tested scientifically and if so, how these PRS strings are on PRS frets...

I haven’t tried the NYXLs the regular EXLs work perfect for me and when you buy them in bulk they are a good deal :D

I think these are a great idea. PRS has so many fans they will want to try their strings as well.

I’m one of those guys that is completely happy with my sound and the feel of my guitars. Same gigging amp since 2006. D’Addario 11-52 strings for forever. I like the sound, tension, price and availability.

Back