PRS Signature Cables - Anyone Try Them?

sixstringoverdrive

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new PRS signature cables. I'm on the fence between Mogami and PRS right now for a new 18' cable.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new PRS signature cables. I'm on the fence between Mogami and PRS right now for a new 18' cable.

PRS cables are made by Van Damme Cabling, in England. Great reputation and some big artists use Van Damme stuff. Mogami is certainly top of the line cabling, as well. I have both PRS and Mogami. Don't really favor one over the other.

I’ve done cable shootouts in my studio with Mogami, the PRS Van Damme cables, several Lava cables, and Canare.

The PRS cables were my preference, here’s why:

1. The main thing that preserves high end on a cable is low capacitance. The higher the capacitance, the lower the treble rolloff point. Mogami specs theirs at about 45 pf per foot. The Van Damme is about 25 pf per foot, and that translates audibly to longer cable runs without treble loss. In the audio shootout with Mogami Gold, Canare and the Lava Ultramafic Flex specialty cables and Ultramafic stiff cables, but the PRS/Van Damme preserved the highs best. I’ve only found a couple of cables that have capacitance as low as the PRS cables, and they’re all more expensive.

I’m now running an 18 foot cable from the guitar to the pedalboard, a 25 foot cable from pedalboard to my switchbox, and the amp run lengths vary from 10-25 feet in my studio. That’s a lot of cable, not to mention what’s on the pedalboard (Van den Hul or Evidence Audio), and yet I still retain plenty of high frequencies.

I should mention that my studios have been wired with Mogami cables since 1989, so I’m not against Mogami. In fact, the Mogami came in second in my tests. The Canare was nice, but rolled off too much high end for my taste, though that could be good for high gain players. I wasn’t fond of either of the Lava cables I had on hand. They really rolled off the high frequencies, and made things sound muddy (18 footers). I’m only keeping them to use with synths or other line level sources.

2. The PRS/Van Damme are very resistant to handling noise - that crackling that you sometimes get on stage or in the studio doesn’t happen with them.

3. The PRS/Van Damme are by far the most flexible cables, so they lay flat on the floor, don’t get tangled, etc. Of the ones I tested the Lava were the stiffest (I kept tripping on them). The Ultramafic Flex weren’t all that flexy, and the stiff ones with the solid core are unusable in a stage environment, they’re like coat hangers. It’s nice to have cables lay so flat that you don’t trip over them, and they’re easy to lay out when routing from pedalboard to amp, etc.

4. I found the PRS were also highly resistant to picking up noise.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the PRS cables are all I’ll use now (though if I need special lengths that PRS doesn’t offer, I’ve been able to source Van Damme for custom runs). Still, cheaper just to buy from PRS if you need standard lengths.

I bought what is described on the invoice from PRS Europe as 'PRS Instrument Cable, Right-Angle Jack to Straight - 18 Feet' - so hopefully it's the same stuff as you're intersted in. I'd happily buy the same again. As Les says it's very quiet plus vey flexible. Also, like Les says, it uses Van Damme cable, which has a good reputation. My only observation would be I could have bought the cable and jacks on their own and made up some leads myself a bit cheaper but I'm happy paying a premium to save me doing this.

I’ve done cable shootouts in my studio with Mogami, the PRS Van Damme cables, several Lava cables, and Canare.

The PRS cables were my preference, here’s why:

1. The main thing that preserves high end on a cable is low capacitance. The higher the capacitance, the lower the treble rolloff point. Mogami specs theirs at about 45 pf per foot. The Van Damme is about 25 pf per foot, and that translates audibly to longer cable runs without treble loss. In the audio shootout with Mogami Gold, Canare and the Lava Ultramafic Flex specialty cables and Ultramafic stiff cables, but the PRS/Van Damme preserved the highs best. I’ve only found a couple of cables that have capacitance as low as the PRS cables, and they’re all more expensive.

I’m now running an 18 foot cable from the guitar to the pedalboard, a 25 foot cable from pedalboard to my switchbox, and the amp run lengths vary from 10-25 feet in my studio. That’s a lot of cable, not to mention what’s on the pedalboard (Van den Hul or Evidence Audio), and yet I still retain plenty of high frequencies.

I should mention that my studios have been wired with Mogami cables since 1989, so I’m not against Mogami. In fact, the Mogami came in second in my tests. The Canare was nice, but rolled off too much high end for my taste, though that could be good for high gain players. I wasn’t fond of either of the Lava cables I had on hand. They really rolled off the high frequencies, and made things sound muddy (18 footers). I’m only keeping them to use with synths or other line level sources.

2. The PRS/Van Damme are very resistant to handling noise - that crackling that you sometimes get on stage or in the studio doesn’t happen with them.

3. The PRS/Van Damme are by far the most flexible cables, so they lay flat on the floor, don’t get tangled, etc. Of the ones I tested the Lava were the stiffest (I kept tripping on them). The Ultramafic Flex weren’t all that flexy, and the stiff ones with the solid core are unusable in a stage environment, they’re like coat hangers. It’s nice to have cables lay so flat that you don’t trip over them, and they’re easy to lay out when routing from pedalboard to amp, etc.

4. I found the PRS were also highly resistant to picking up noise.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the PRS cables are all I’ll use now (though if I need special lengths that PRS doesn’t offer, I’ve been able to source Van Damme for custom runs). Still, cheaper just to buy from PRS if you need standard lengths.

Did you by chance test Intex cables?

Sadly, another factor that can have an impact on cable purchases is whether or not you have an IDIOT singer who doesn't mind rolling equipment over your nice expensive cables.

I still fantasize about knocking that guy out.

I love the PRS Patch cables. I use them for my effects boards...good 'n bendy!!!;);)
(actually more so than other brands). Similar to the Mogami. (sp??)

Last edited:
Am I the only one that wishes they offered a stereo cable for dual jack piezo equipped instruments? Sourcing one from any brand has been problematic for me.

+1 on the Neutrik angle/silent ends. I’ve been building and using these with Canare and Mogami cables for years. Nice if you’re playing out and the sound man’s sleeping or you’re providing sound and no one wants to let you mute the channel before unplugging. https://www.markertek.com/

Van Damme cables are great, I treated myself to a couple this year. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I have a couple of them. Really nice cables. Heavy duty jacks, for sure. Plus, the owner was really nice to deal with. Can't recall his name.

I use a couple and I like them. I went to George Ls maybe 10 years ago and noticed I big difference from the junk I was using but going from George Ls to Intex wasn't quite as noticable.

Did you by chance test Intex cables?

Intex cables are Belden wire with very nice plugs. Nothing wrong with Belden wire. They make a lot of industrial cables, and you’d always see the name on OEM stuff back in the day (and probably still do!).

I haven’t used Belden wire in a long time, like 30 years.

Back