PRS Shipping Numbers

blaren

'morning.

After all the discussion of new models and lines, how the NF guitars are fewer and fewer, how the Studio kinda seems to have tanked...
And with all these new models...man...I was a PRS owner/buyer a few years ago. Came back to the net to start shopping for a new one in 2011 and I was like I was looking at a different company's catalog.
SO many new and different models...and some of the older ones no more.

So, has anyone any KNOWLEDGE of what the shipping numbers look like for the various models?
Is the CU24 still the top selling flagship? Has the DGT de-throned it? It's probably near impossible to get any meaningful numbers with so many models making only brief appearances...you know, like the stripped 58 for example...or the SASNF...or the Stud...oh...bit premature there lol.

The DGT sure gets a LOT of love. I'd GUESS that probably half of the (137) people who bought Studios traded them in on DGTs?
It has to be a fine balancing act for Paul...coming out with new models, deciding which to keep making, and then the SEs....HOW good do you make them before they start hurting the USA bottom line? Oh and BTW...it would be interesting to see the two sales number graphs of the SE and USA lines. I have a feeling they're starting to form a big old X on the graph.
Once they release the new "intermediary" line, the good old USA PRSs are surely gonna take another BIG hit in the sales dept?

If anyone has or has actually SEEN production/shipping numbers of PRS models...or if you have a good educated guess, what's selling, what's not, what's next on the chopping block?

If anyone wants to make-up a pool for placing bets...how much are the squares gonna cost? I wanna drop a few bucks on the Studio. I hate funerals but that will probably be onehelluva party!!! :-(

I still don't understand the speculation about NFs here, when there are several models in the catalog, or how the Studio somehow is tanked, since I see people buying them in various forum posts, and stores stocking them.

And I remember back in the old (first) PRS Forum days, people were predicting (some insisting) that SEs were going to kill or somehow compromise the USA line. It didn't happen, of course.

You make a lot of assumptions, but I don't see anything to back them up.

I suppose this is how rumors get started and spread...I smell an agenda here, though I can't put my finger on why anyone would want to create or feed a rumor mill.

Last edited:
Orange is the new pink, doughnuts are the new cupcakes, and Shane is the new Doc. :tongue:

Orange is the new pink, doughnuts are the new cupcakes, and Shane is the new Doc. :tongue:

Last night I saw a skinny guy with dyed orange hair wearing a bright orange hipster beanie eating a doughnut.

So we are talking 100% "the new" whatever.

Of course, all I could think of was how much Hans would have enjoyed this sight. ;)

The "brief appearances" were intentional limited runs, as far as I know, no Swamp Ash model has been in production for very long (they did the Swamp Ash Studio and a Swamp Ash NF this time, both of which are highly regarded by their owners), and the Stripped 58 was a limited run that got turned into a production run because of popularity, and then morphed into the SC245 we have now (which is no longer "Stripped").

There's all this talk of SE/mid-level hurting US, but we don't talk about SE/mid hurting other companies sales, which is where I see more sales affected. Epiphone/Squier etc are the ones taking the hits, and most likely Fender/Gibson/Ibanez etc now too, with the SEs getting better and this new mid thing.

If someone wants a US PRS, they will get one. They are now and always be, several levels above SE/mid (I'm assuming mid will happen, I haven't been keeping an eye on it). A SE/mid cannot and never will capture the magic of a US PRS, which is greater than the sum of it's parts, and there are refinements which will never make it into the SE line (V12, artist tweaks, Paul's bridge, Phase IIIs, etc etc etc).

In reality orange has always ruled, and have you seen some of those freaking donuts - my daughter and I feasted on them on the edge of an evacuation zoom new and couple of weeks ago. This is good because I was never really a cake fan.

And orange donut could make me forget the Raven for at least three minutes.

Back