PRS Semi-Hollow Custom Special 22 vs 35th Anniversary Custom 24

After much deliberation we got a killer deal on a PRS Modern Eagle V (Experience). Just seemed like if we were already going to spend the money on a 35th anniversary than stepping up to the modern eagle, at the price we were able to get it for, made a lot of sense.

After much deliberation we got a killer deal on a PRS Modern Eagle V (Experience). Just seemed like if we were already going to spend the money on a 35th anniversary than stepping up to the modern eagle, at the price we were able to get it for, made a lot of sense.

Congrats! I hope the pickups work for you, as the TCIs in the MEV are very different from the 58/15 MTs in the 22 SSH and the 85/15s in the 35th anniversary.

Modern eagle is the best choice for that application. Between ssh and cu24, I’d get the 24. While the ssh is very versatile, I would want a solid bodied guitar for studio work.

Reactions: WCW
Solid choice. You're going to love it.

Ok, great choice! Even though I was in camp SSH I love the MEV too.
May we see it?

Reactions: WCW
Ok, great choice! Even though I was in camp SSH I love the MEV too.
May we see it?
Sure. It should be here on or before Friday. We got River Blue and we're hoping it's more dark blue and less aquamarine/turquoise in person but with only 120 MEVs in america and I would guess half or so being river blue there weren't a lot of options at this point. The one complaint I have about PRS is the significant inconsistency in their colors. I understand this is wood and there's always going to be tonal and staining variations, but the amount of variation is so drastic that at times guitars that are allegedly the same color look significantly different.

Sure. It should be here on or before Friday. We got River Blue and we're hoping it's more dark blue and less aquamarine/turquoise in person but with only 120 MEVs in america and I would guess half or so being river blue there weren't a lot of options at this point. The one complaint I have about PRS is the significant inconsistency in their colors. I understand this is wood and there's always going to be tonal and staining variations, but the amount of variation is so drastic that at times guitars that are allegedly the same color look significantly different.
A lot of that has to do with dealer practices when taking pics. Lighting, and such. There is one dealer whose on-line pics look nothing like the actual guitar. I was shocked based on what I saw on-line vs. what some of them were like in person.

Just for reference, here is my River Blue. Picture taken outside, mid-morning, some sun, and taken with my I-pad.

LtTEwwp.jpg

A lot of that has to do with dealer practices when taking pics. Lighting, and such. There is one dealer whose on-line pics look nothing like the actual guitar. I was shocked based on what I saw on-line vs. what some of them were like in person.

Just for reference, here is my River Blue. Picture taken outside, mid-morning, some sun, and taken with my I-pad.

LtTEwwp.jpg

Notice Bodia said, taken on his iPad. Not disclosing who pressed the shutter button!:p

LtTEwwp.jpg

Yes, I've experienced the online vs in person difference + the camera lighting as well. But, even in person, we've seen significant variance such that we strongly preferred one color tone to another of the same color because the difference was significant. Obviously the striping is going to change from guitar to guitar, but it seems like the color could be better regulated. Just my humble opinion.

Compare your River Blue guitar to the one in the PRS youtube demo. Is it lighting? Is it a different color? No one knows - lol.

Yes, I've experienced the online vs in person difference + the camera lighting as well. But, even in person, we've seen significant variance such that we strongly preferred one color tone to another of the same color because the difference was significant. Obviously the striping is going to change from guitar to guitar, but it seems like the color could be better regulated. Just my humble opinion.

Compare your River Blue guitar to the one in the PRS youtube demo. Is it lighting? Is it a different color? No one knows - lol.

Valid point. Although, looking at mine in the basement, under florescent lights, it's pretty close to the one in the video.

Valid point. Although, looking at mine in the basement, under florescent lights, it's pretty close to the one in the video.

I don't doubt it. I've seen the lighting difference for myself. My own two eyes, iphone with flash on, and iphone with no flash all yield perceptibly different color palettes. The problem with PRS is they're such a high quality guitar that people get more sensitive about getting exactly what they want, but it's the quality that in some ways makes it harder to get regularity. Though, I do think the staining could be a bit more uniform, or more graded. So like, river blue - green tint vs river blue - standard vs river blue - blue tint. Something like that to make ordering online a bit more palatable.

Either way - what's done is done and we'll find out the deal with the color here in a few days. Very excited.

Its very difficult to 'regulate' the staining as maple can vary in colour and will take stain differently so you can use the exact same stain and quantity and get a different look. You also don't know whether the Photo's are taking with more yellow or more blue light and whether or not there is is any auto balancing going on.

The colour of my Custom 24 Floyd for example can look quite different in Photo's
nrMQSRF.jpg

Y2PwDPa.jpg

The exact same guitar, but in one, it looks like a bright red, more Scarlet, and in the other a much darker, 'blood' red...

The ME V is one of the best guitars PRS has ever made IMHO. If someone was just starting out, I'd recommend one without hesitation.

I say that as someone who's owned more than a few PRS's over the years.

Back