PRS Semi-Hollow Custom Special 22 vs 35th Anniversary Custom 24

The guitar arrived today!

Trying to upload pics but have posted links from multiple hosting sites and I just get IMG in brackets.

Edit: I’ll just post the links then.

https://ibb.co/F0yVWm3

https://ibb.co/sbdWwzQ

https://ibb.co/mbrd3Ds
mbrd3Ds

What a bonnie guitar, congratulations.

Hey guys - question about the 5-way blade switch. Should it be “clicking” into position or does it just slide? On our new PRS it just slides back and forth with no resistance whatsoever until it hits one edge or the other. A little disconcerting - how do you know what position you’re in? Maybe that’s how they are or maybe we’re doing something wrong? Very unintuitive for now.

Also - is there a button layout anywhere for the modern eagle 5? The provided instructions do not include the MEV.

Thanks.

Hey guys - question about the 5-way blade switch. Should it be “clicking” into position or does it just slide? On our new PRS it just slides back and forth with no resistance whatsoever until it hits one edge or the other. A little disconcerting - how do you know what position you’re in? Maybe that’s how they are or maybe we’re doing something wrong? Very unintuitive for now.

Also - is there a button layout anywhere for the modern eagle 5? The provided instructions do not include the MEV.

Thanks.

modern_eagle_v_switching.jpg

Basically, if you pull upon the tone knob (activate Humbuckers) in position 1 and 5, you get both Humbuckers (like the middle position of a Les Paul) and can split the humbuckers individually to get HH, HS, SH or SS. In Positions 2, 3 and 4, you get ALL pickups active - again can coil split so get HSH, HSS, SSS or SSH.

The other single switch changes the Volume pot between 250k or 500k regardless of what pickup selection choice. 500k lets a bit more high end through so a bit brighter - hence its used generally with Humbuckers and 250k is generally used with Single Coils - although here you have the freedom of choice to use either with any pick up selection choice.

I don't have an MEv myself to confirm or not regarding the 5-way selector but in my experience with PRS, I haven't come across one that doesn't 'click' into each position. Others maybe able to help there but hope this helps re Layout controls

Reactions: WCW
modern_eagle_v_switching.jpg

Basically, if you pull upon the tone knob (activate Humbuckers) in position 1 and 5, you get both Humbuckers (like the middle position of a Les Paul) and can split the humbuckers individually to get HH, HS, SH or SS. In Positions 2, 3 and 4, you get ALL pickups active - again can coil split so get HSH, HSS, SSS or SSH.

The other single switch changes the Volume pot between 250k or 500k regardless of what pickup selection choice. 500k lets a bit more high end through so a bit brighter - hence its used generally with Humbuckers and 250k is generally used with Single Coils - although here you have the freedom of choice to use either with any pick up selection choice.

I don't have an MEv myself to confirm or not regarding the 5-way selector but in my experience with PRS, I haven't come across one that doesn't 'click' into each position. Others maybe able to help there but hope this helps re Layout controls

This is really helpful. I googled for a while before asking, but must not have used the correct terms.

As for the 5 way switch, it definitely does not "click", which feels incorrect, which is why I brought it up. It seems almost inconceivable that PRS would let an MEv out into the public with a problem like that, so maybe this is how they are supposed to function? If someone could post a video using their 5 way switch that would be helpful - but that's probably asking too much. We'll probably head on down to the local store tomorrow and fiddle with a couple PRSs and see how the switch behaves for comparison. We're bracing ourselves for the fact that we may have a dud on our hands, but maybe we're just both expecting more tactile feedback than is intended?

There should be 5 very defined positions on the switch, it should not just glide between positions. It sounds like yours isn’t working like it’s supposed to working, which is strange if that passed through QC. Maybe something happened to it along the way?
Anyway, it’s an easy fix, either by the PTC, the dealer or a local tech. Contact the dealer.

There should be 5 very defined positions on the switch, it should not just glide between positions. It sounds like yours isn’t working like it’s supposed to working, which is strange if that passed through QC. Maybe something happened to it along the way?
Anyway, it’s an easy fix, either by the PTC, the dealer or a local tech. Contact the dealer.

We definitely do not have 5 clearly defined positions. No clicks. No locking. I'd say for a first PRS guitar this is extraordinarily disappointing. We bought a PRS, especially the MEv, specifically for quality and reliability and here we are with a blade switch that glides back and forth. We've had a very hard time distinguishing between tones in all configurations, and I've been hoping that's an us thing and not a broken blade switch thing ...

We definitely do not have 5 clearly defined positions. No clicks. No locking. I'd say for a first PRS guitar this is extraordinarily disappointing. We bought a PRS, especially the MEv, specifically for quality and reliability and here we are with a blade switch that glides back and forth. We've had a very hard time distinguishing between tones in all configurations, and I've been hoping that's an us thing and not a broken blade switch thing ...

It should be covered by warranty and a simple fix - you should contact the store. NO company is exempt from a part failure and, in these times of very difficult working conditions, pressure from a massive backlog of orders etc, its possible that maybe one or two slip through the net. All you can say too is that at the time these guitars are checked at the factory, they 'should' be OK but you don't know if they have been played or messed with by the store or people who 'could' visit that store in these times too.

The Final QC check should be you and the store too should check that the guitar they are selling leaves their store in the condition expected (I say expected because they also sell used so should ensure those guitars are as expected too). PRS have a lifetime warranty, 2 years on Electronics and Hardware, so it should be replaced - Warranty Information. I appreciate its disappointing, but PRS have that reputation because even when things like this happen, they also put things right...

Went to Sam Ash today and flipped the 5 way blade switch on a few different PRS models. After feeling the very clearly defined positions on the other guitars there is absolutely no question that ours is broken - so at least we can be sure what we’re dealing with.

In fairness, we did buy the 2020 “Experience” and this is about as accurate an experience of the year 2020 as it gets.

PRS is closed until Monday - so we’ll have a chance to see how they handle things then.

Last edited:
Went to Sam Ash today and flipped the 5 way blade switch on a few different PRS models. After feeling the very clearly defined positions on the other guitars there is absolutely no question that ours is broken - so at least we can be sure what we’re dealing with.

In fairness, we did buy the 2020 “Experience” and this is about as accurate an experience of the year 2020 as it gets.

PRS is closed until Monday - so we’ll have a chance to see how they handle things then.
Quickly based on my past experiences with them.

I know it’s frustrating having something like that happen on a brand new guitar but unfortunately it happens to every brand from time to time.

I’ve bought a pretty decent amount of PRS over the past few years and this year the semi hollow special I bought had an issue with the bridge pickup tap sounding weak and out of phase. I emailed PRS about it with a sound clip and they immediately responded saying it didn’t sound right and they sent a shipping label to send it back to them for repair. I had the guitar back in a couple weeks and it was good as new. I have no doubt PRS will take care of you quickly.

Back