PRS SE245 Trade Query

valv3h

Hi folks! I saw a local ad here from our craiglist with an 'upgraded' and fairly good condition PRS SE 245. Now, I'm a noob in any PRS guitars having using a Fender Strats and Ibanez guitars for several years so I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. I'm always fascinated with LP-style guitars having a cheap Tokai MIC in my arsenal and this 245 surely is gorgeous!! Can't pass it up!

I'm planning to trade/ swap my Fender MIJ Telecaster with this PRS SE 245 which he mentioned it is modded with PRS \m/ Metal Pickups which costs around USD350. What do you think? Is this a good trade? I know that MIJ blonde Teles are more desirable around here in my area though.

2lo57at.jpg

2627g50.jpg

Here's his SE 245 :

m97zva.jpg

mc9jxz.jpg

o6jzhy.jpg

Not good. Keep the tele. Do a cash buy if you can. Gather an average used price for a stock model. Add say a third or half of what we would pay new for the installed pickups.

And you want to verify that the pickups are what the seller claims they are. Screwdriver and a meter will be needed. If the guy is the straight up sort he won't have a problem with this and there is no need to feel embarrassed by demanding.

The SE is a great guitar... you just gotta be sure the \m/ pickups are worth it for you. Say they're a $200-300 used value, then the 245 is about $300-350. MIJ tele's sell between $500-800... I mean, it could be a fair trade depending, but the MIJ tele has a bit more curb appeal for most.

I'm not generally a fan of "upgraded" guitars. In my experience, the workmanship is usually a disaster, and it's not just the pickups changed out. There will be random potentiometers, poor wiring, etc.

At the least, follow charlie's advice and open it up. It should be super clean and neat, and the pots should be the right ones.

Why not get a used SE stock and decide for yourself what pickups you want?

Not good. Keep the tele. Do a cash buy if you can. Gather an average used price for a stock model. Add say a third or half of what we would pay new for the installed pickups.

And you want to verify that the pickups are what the seller claims they are. Screwdriver and a meter will be needed. If the guy is the straight up sort he won't have a problem with this and there is no need to feel embarrassed by demanding.

I bought a used SE Singlecut online with what were supposed to be Duncan 59/JB. Turned out to be random Gibson pickups and the wiring was a bit nutty.

Yanked everything and started from scratch.

I bought a used SE Singlecut online with what were supposed to be Duncan 59/JB. Turned out to be random Gibson pickups and the wiring was a bit nutty.

Yanked everything and started from scratch.

Yes, it happens often.

Back