PRS SE Zach Myers.......which USA pickup?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by evan47, Jan 2, 2019.

1. evan47

evan47 New Member

I have a 2018 se zach myers and, although I like its sound was wondering about putting PRS usa built pickups in there and what would be the best choice?

2. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

What kind of sound/output are you looking for?

3. Alessandro

Alessandro New Member

I put dragon II’s in mine and installed a push pull tone pot for the split coil on the neck. Really loving it now. The bridge 245s pickup was actually really nice too just the neck didn’t jive with me for some reason.

4. evan47

evan47 New Member

I am looking for classic rock and blues tones, ( lizzy, boston, skynyrd,gary moore etc),
    My previous guitars used Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz or JB and 59 which I like output and tone wise.

5. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

I haven't tried the JB + Jazz/59 combination yet. Maybe one day if I get a beater Charvel Pro-Mod for the Floyd. I wouldn't naturally think of them as a bluesy set. The jump between the neck and bridge in those reminds me of the VB/HFS set I put in my CE22, which I prefer for hard rock style. I would think a more vintage output treble pickup would be better for blues, but it's your ear that matters - and it'll like what it likes.

The next pickup set I'm anxious to try is the 59/09 - said to be a little brighter, a little hotter than PRS other vintage style pickups.

6. justjoshin

justjoshin New Member

I just ordered a set of Tonerider Alnico II classic PAF's to try in my next mod project, SE Standard 22. I used their classic blues set in my Squier and they sound great. You can check them out here:

TroyBaer likes this.
  7. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Can’t go wrong with 57/08’s or 59/09’s if you like PAF/classic rock and blues tones.

Casi1 likes this.
  8. Antmax

Antmax New Member

Fantastic guitars and overall I really liked the stock pickups just they aren't as good as I would expect and am used to from quality aftermarket pickups like SD. I did try some Seth Lovers but they went in my Les Paul and I went back to the original pickups. I'd probably want the same kind of sound just higher fidelity, better definition and more pick sensitivity that I would expect. The stock pickups sound good just lack a little clarity like they have most but not the full range of frequencies but otherwise I really like the contrast between the neck and bridge which make the ZM quite versatile.

9. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

Bare Knuckle Mules would be pretty slick in there

10. MichaelS

MichaelS I'm here for the free kool-aid...

Big fan of SD myself although I put PRS pups into my SE and CE.
    Other guitars have SD Alnico II Pro, a Hendrix set in a strat, and JB Skinner Burst in an LP.

11. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

I put a set of Antiquities in one of mine and a set of 36th anniv in another. They both sound amazing!!

Boogie likes this.
  12. Mark Bois

Mark Bois New Member

The darndest thing about swapping pickups is you never know exactly how they will sound in said guitar. You'll have to either love them or hate them if you hate them then you're out a few hundred bucks. I have a highly modified Blacktop Strat with Seymour Duncan P rails I don't like these pickups in this guitar but that's just me. I also have a Epiphone LES Paul with the same pickups and I love the sound. So you never know till you try sometimes you have to keep trying till you find a set that's right for you.

Boogie and Antmax like this.
  13. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

5909 bridge, 5708 neck

bodia and andy474x like this.
  14. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

This!