PRS SE Zach Myers.......which USA pickup?

evan47

I have a 2018 se zach myers and, although I like its sound was wondering about putting PRS usa built pickups in there and what would be the best choice?

I put dragon II’s in mine and installed a push pull tone pot for the split coil on the neck. Really loving it now. The bridge 245s pickup was actually really nice too just the neck didn’t jive with me for some reason.

I am looking for classic rock and blues tones, ( lizzy, boston, skynyrd,gary moore etc),
My previous guitars used Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz or JB and 59 which I like output and tone wise.

I am looking for classic rock and blues tones, ( lizzy, boston, skynyrd,gary moore etc),
My previous guitars used Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz or JB and 59 which I like output and tone wise.
I haven't tried the JB + Jazz/59 combination yet. Maybe one day if I get a beater Charvel Pro-Mod for the Floyd. I wouldn't naturally think of them as a bluesy set. The jump between the neck and bridge in those reminds me of the VB/HFS set I put in my CE22, which I prefer for hard rock style. I would think a more vintage output treble pickup would be better for blues, but it's your ear that matters - and it'll like what it likes.

The next pickup set I'm anxious to try is the 59/09 - said to be a little brighter, a little hotter than PRS other vintage style pickups.

I just ordered a set of Tonerider Alnico II classic PAF's to try in my next mod project, SE Standard 22. I used their classic blues set in my Squier and they sound great. You can check them out here:

Fantastic guitars and overall I really liked the stock pickups just they aren't as good as I would expect and am used to from quality aftermarket pickups like SD. I did try some Seth Lovers but they went in my Les Paul and I went back to the original pickups. I'd probably want the same kind of sound just higher fidelity, better definition and more pick sensitivity that I would expect. The stock pickups sound good just lack a little clarity like they have most but not the full range of frequencies but otherwise I really like the contrast between the neck and bridge which make the ZM quite versatile.

Big fan of SD myself although I put PRS pups into my SE and CE.
Other guitars have SD Alnico II Pro, a Hendrix set in a strat, and JB Skinner Burst in an LP.

The darndest thing about swapping pickups is you never know exactly how they will sound in said guitar. You'll have to either love them or hate them if you hate them then you're out a few hundred bucks. I have a highly modified Blacktop Strat with Seymour Duncan P rails I don't like these pickups in this guitar but that's just me. I also have a Epiphone LES Paul with the same pickups and I love the sound. So you never know till you try sometimes you have to keep trying till you find a set that's right for you.

Back