PRS SE Zach Myers opinions

prsrocker1988

Wanting some opinions from ZM owners.

How are you all liking them so far?

I mainly have questions about tuning stability, QC, etc....

TBH I don't mind aesthetic reviews so much as I like what I see and pickups don't matter so much as I have a set of Seymour Duncan's that I'm dying to put in something.

I've decided I want a singlecut PRS and I think I'd like a semihollow - something different than my other PRS's and my Les Paul. I've thought about an S2, but I think I'm honestly leaning towards the ZM SE. I'm thinking of getting something around Christmastime. I love the Trampas Green and that'd be the one I'd be interested in.

So I basically am curious about fit and finish/QC, playability, and tuning stability. I'm am a stickler for perfect tuning and guitars that don't go out of tune. My SE was an early Custom 22 SE that had to get a new nut because of sticking issues but I hear that's resolved now.

Also pics are welcome. :)

I like mine, I jumped on them as soon as they were able to order.
However I am not keen on wide/fat necks, so it is my least played guitar, along with the SE Santana.

I am a wide/thin pattern/thin neck guy, I just bond with them better.
But the ZM is a very nice guitar indeed.
Will probably give it to my son who already has a 2012 SE Semi-Hollow with the wide/fat neck.
He likes semi-hollows, and since he has not played that much before I got it for him, he likes the wide/fat necks.

On the QC, I was one of the lucky ones who got one that was flawless.
Some of the flawed finish ones were built after mine.
Tuning is great, but I have Gotoh locking tuners on mine, along with Tone Pro studs for the stock bridge/tail pice setup.

In my experience, my ZM has as good as tuning stability as any of my other non-locking tuner guitars, and I have stock tuners. Not quite as good as my Core CU24 or hollowbody, but they have locking tuners, which has to help a bit with all the string bends i tend to do.

Finish is top-notch (I have a spalted top, not the trampas green). Electronics work perfectly for me.

Tuning stability is good (however i had the nut replaced with a US one... just for the sake of it)... my Santana SE has stock nut and no tuning problems, so I guess SE nuts are ok.

Playability is amazing. When I first received mine the action was SUPER low with no buzzes anywhere. I´ve now raised and put 10´s on it cause I prefer some "resistance" on the guitar.

Fit and finish is great. Fret work is flawless.

Unlike Corey I love this guitar neck... the satin finish and the wide/fat carve are the best I´ve played.

Intonates well with the USA adjustable bridge. The tuners slip some when tuning, or just might feel that way. Holds tune well but is not as smooth tuning as the USA guitars, might also be the nut binding some as it does seem to jump sharp after not moving at all when tuning up. Replacement lockers are cheap and on my list as is a better nut which should improve things. The rest of the guitar kills for an SE.

My SE was an early Custom 22 SE that had to get a new nut because of sticking issues but I hear that's resolved now.

Also pics are welcome. :)

No. The string sticking in the nut is not resolved. I have two brand new SE's - a Tremonti Custom black/grey that I just dressed the nut on today and put on new strings; about four of the strings "distinctly" were binding in the nut slot. It had been immediately going out of tune when using light tremolo action. I slightly opened the nut slots and lubricated the slots with graphite powder before I put on new strings. It now stays in tune after using the trem and bending. It sounds beautiful thru my tube amps.

My other new SE is two weeks old; a beautiful Custom 24 vintage yellow flame. It too had string binding in the nut slots. I widened the nut slots slightly and restrung it with some new NYXL strings. It stays in tune after using the trem now with zero binding. I like the Daddario new NYXL strings - they are louder and feel great.

It was obvious that no one dressed those nut slots. The nuts looked factory brand new, zero filing, etc. The strings on both guitars were pinched seriously. I'm glad I discovered this and corrected the problem.

Both of these are great guitars and sound great to my ear thru my amps. They both have their own unique sounds, which I dig.

I'm checking all of my guitars for binding at the nut. Loosen the strings and pull them out of the nut slots - see if they stick in there instead of coming straight up and out. Another sign of binding in the nut is when you are tuning a string it will suddenly jump past tune after no change while you turn the button; this is sometimes accompanied by a "ping" sound as the string breaks the binding force and jumps suddenly in pitch.

I was surprised how many of my guitars were binding at the nut.

Last edited:
I went to my dealer today to pick up a 1x12 slant cab, and the tech had a customers Bernie SE on the bench.
I saw several nut files next to it, and I asked if he was filing the nut.
Filing because of strings sticking in the nut.

Now he did mention it had a bone nut, not the common plastic nut on SEs?
Or are Bernies coming with bone nuts?

Not unless they've changed them recently. Pretty sure they're still the stock SE nuts - at least the Bernie I saw in the shop last week was.

Had issues with the nuts on all three of the SE's I've owned. Still not sure why that's something that hasn't been resolved. The QC on the rest of the guitar is top notch but that seems to be one area that hasn't cought up. Ultra cheap part but ultra crucial!

Never had any issues with the tuners on my Bernie which look to be the same as on the ZM.

Make sure your nut is cut right. Use good quality stretched in strings and you're golden.

The ZM is a fine guitar. I also had to dress the nut for sticking strings. With the nut dress and a little lube it stays in tune with no problems. Fresh strings also really helped. ENJOY!!!

Thanks everyone....at least I know about the nut binding thing... I do like the guitar so I just know that's something I'd have to take care of. I'm not tech savvy on guitar work so short of changing strings and using lubricant, I'd have to take it to my tech for a nut dress or changing it out.

Not unless they've changed them recently. Pretty sure they're still the stock SE nuts - at least the Bernie I saw in the shop last week was.

Had issues with the nuts on all three of the SE's I've owned. Still not sure why that's something that hasn't been resolved. The QC on the rest of the guitar is top notch but that seems to be one area that hasn't cought up. Ultra cheap part but ultra crucial!

Never had any issues with the tuners on my Bernie which look to be the same as on the ZM.

Make sure your nut is cut right. Use good quality stretched in strings and you're golden.
I have often thought that it would be such a cheap upgrade to just use the U.S. nuts on all of the SE models. Maybe in 2015!

Hi, I got my ZM semi-hollow 3 month ago and I just love it! Its the "spatlted maple", I got it adjused properly and is just great. I´ve just order one more. I´m getting rid of my Gibson ES-339 Custom Shop. The only thing I will improve is the tuners for the MARK III, I´ll get back on that. Thanks Paul and Zach for this excellent guitar.

Last edited:
I just got a ZM SE almost 3 weeks ago. I've only played it through my little Fender practice amp and won't get the chance to play it through my rig until practice tomorrow night after work. I will however say that so far it has handled staying in Standard E, Drop D and Drop C just fine with no tuning issues. I have played in each tuning along to a few records now a handful of times. Just because everyone on here keeps recommending it though, I will most likely put a new nut in. I'll try to do a shootout of it before practice with my McCarty Hollowbody to make a quick comparison, but it'll be in my odd tuning (CGCFAC).

Last edited:
I've noticed there's seemingly a lot of variation in the finish quality. Some seemed to have really solid finishes where as others are very light and even fade by the toggle switch. Anyone know what's up with that? Currently saving up for a ZM SE but don't want to spend $700 and get a terrible looking guitar.

Back