PRS SE Tremonti Customi or SE 245

Flori R

Hello,
I am playing guitar for a year now and I decided to get deeper into it.
I want to buy a PRS SE, because I have seen only good reviews about the SE's and I can't afford the USA models, because I am still in school. I am a huge fan of Mark Tremonti so I thought about buying a Tremonti SE Custom, or the SE 245.
Right now I have a Strat copy. Is there some thing that I need to know when I change strings on the Tremonti, because of the trem? I heard that I might need to do a new set up if I use strings that are 11's. So I can't really decide if I should buy the Tremonti or the 245, I guess changing strings on the 245 is a little bit easier, because of the bridge, that has no trem.
I have never changed strings on my Strat copy, so please don't hate on me ;)
Greetings from Germany :)
I mean Custom in the headline.

I would consider how you want to play, if you think you would be happy not using a trem the go for the 245. Is there anyway you can get to play both of them?

I would look on YouTube for instructional videos on how to change strings and if you know anyone who plays guitar get them to help you. It can be daunting but practice makes perfect and after a while it becomes second nature. Generally set ups get done by a guitar shop, there are many long time players who have never attempted to set up their own guitar HOWEVER there are many books and videos that can help you learn. The guys on the forum here can point you in the right direction too.

I'm looking forward to your new guitar pictures when you decide which one to get!

Thank you for your reply.
Well, all the guitar shops in my are only sell Fender Strats or Gibsons, so I had no chance to play a PRS in a store if that is what you mean, if not I don't have the money for both guitars.

When I think about how I play, I would buy the 245, because I just don't use the trem.
I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube, about how to change strings, and the videos where either about a Strat, LP or Floyd Rose trem.

If you don't plan use the trem, get the 245. The 245 is a shorter scale (24.5") thanx the tremonti (25") and has a wide fat neck as opposed to the wide thin on the tremonti. For reference the wide fat is similar to a 50s les paul neck, not quite as beefy though because it's a smaller radius. The wide thin tremonti is like a les Paul 60s slim taper but again a little thinner feeling because the it's a smaller radius.

They will play and feel different because of the necks, scale length and control layout. It'd be best for you to try them both before deciding.

Other than that they are similar guitars. Same stock pickups, tuners, etc.

If you're wanting a trem (and know how to set-up one), get the Tremonti, it'll be a pretty fine player. Otherwise, the SE 245 is a wiser choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm a trem guy, but if you're not going to play with the trem, it's best that you stay away from it. That said, the gold SE 245 for 2014 is making me drool.... :laugh:

Differences go far beyond trem vs. no trem.
They are two totally different guitars.

Biggest difference IMO is neck carve and scale.
I strongly suggest playing them both before making your purchase.

Why not just buy the gold top 245 if it's available? This way you will not have to mess with resetting up the trem or adjusting the neck relief. This would be a very cool guitar. It has a mahogany body, thick maple cap and veneer flamed maple top on the wood grain ones. It also has a "mahogany" neck, which I definitely like on a guitar like this (but a maple one wouldn't bother me). I like the 245 pickups on my new Santana SE. The 24.5 inch neck is also very nice.

The 245 would be a super nice guitar, especially the classic gold colored one.

I would say that personally I'd grab the guitar as quickly as I could and roll with it, make the bond, and don't look back. Personally I'd probably go for the 245 and stay with the stock size strings, in part because I really like the ease of bending on the nines to begin with.

I think you could be totally happy and amazed by the 245.

I'd say get it done as soon as possible before these awesome guitars get out of stock. I suppose that gold one will go out of stock super fast. I would move as fast as possible and get me a real nice guitar, without delay.

I mean, you have to do your own thing, but I'd jump on one of those gold top 245's and watch everyone around me try to figure out ways to play it. I almost never let "anyone" play my guitars. I learned the hard way.

I'd move on the purchase, be happy with what I got, and not look back, as long as it doesn't have anything wrong with it. Also I wouldn't let any GC "so called" techs touch it because they mostly are not techs and don't know how to do much and could easily scratch up or mess up my new guitar. Find a real good guitar man and let him work on your guitar. It should come from the factory well set up. I'd stay with the stock string size but replace the strings "one at a time and tune it after putting on each string. Keep it tuned during the whole restringing process. That way the neck won't have a chance to move around and will be kept under relatively constant tension, which is a good thing according to some people, including me.

Last edited:
I'd snag one if I had more dough now... :laugh: Shawn corrected me the other day, it's not just merely a goldtop, it's a gold guitar!

I don't know about your financial situation, but they have some decent deals at this place where you can make automatic payments off of your debit card and have the guitar like the next day or so. I have no affiliation with them but check this out. Maybe not exactly what you wanted but close -
103798-Generic-1-Original.jpg

or
2939-Generic-8-HiRes.jpg

Informational link http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PRS-TR-LIST

The black one is 522 new and you can make three payments.

I don't have anything to do with these people but it looks like a decent deal. Check your private messages if you want to.

Thanks for your advice guys.
To be honest I don't use the trem very often, and if I use, I am only using it to mess around.
But I can live without one. I'm not really interested in a Tremonti SE without trem, so I would probably buy the Se 245 in Tobacco Sunburst.
Money-wise I'll buy the guitar in a couple of weeks (when I get money for my birthday, when I turn 18) from a German music shop.

Back