PRS SE Tremonti Custom Mods?

Karura

Hi, just wondering what are some drop in mods for this guitar that people have done. What do you guys recommend?

I am thinking of picking up one of these and wanted to know if I can mod it.

So far I've heard of the Switchcraft Switch and Jack mod, Schaller Locking Tuners.. what else can I mod to make it better? Are there drop in parts from the US parts bin? What about pots?

I'm mostly confused about pots, because I hear about CTS pots, then there are PRS US pots. Do these all drop in or will I have to enlarge the hole?

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum Karura :) The stock pots are good enough, IMO I don't think swapping them out will help that much, apart from it being modded. I'd say graphtech nuts or the PRS USA nuts are drop-ins, but if you're not using the trem, there's also no point swapping the stock nut out, they're good enough. Do keep in mind that there are more things that really influence the tone than changing the electronics and wiring. :)

Hi, welcome to the forum Karura :) The stock pots are good enough, IMO I don't think swapping them out will help that much, apart from it being modded. I'd say graphtech nuts or the PRS USA nuts are drop-ins, but if you're not using the trem, there's also no point swapping the stock nut out, they're good enough. Do keep in mind that there are more things that really influence the tone than changing the electronics and wiring. :)

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Do elaborate a bit on what else influences the tone! I have a decent amp/preamp/cabinet setup already. I am under the asumption that the Tremonti SE Custom is very value oriented and will have decent wood. :) I hope that is true. Maybe other owners can chime in.

I would change the nut. Get the PRS wide/fat, wide/thin. The Tremonti SE nut is hollow. From my experience, it is not a direct drop in. You will have to either file the nut slots or file the bottom of the nut to keep the action at spec.

The CTS pots are 3/8 inch so the pot holes on the guitar will have to be bored out. The Tremonti SE is metric. I replaced all the pots with RSGuitarworks superpots. I ordered a pre wired kit.

I replaced the stock pickups with Tremonti pickups and USA PRS black pickup rings. Everythings been swapped out for USA parts and had a luthier do the work.

If you have any questions PM me.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Do elaborate a bit on what else influences the tone! I have a decent amp/preamp/cabinet setup already. I am under the asumption that the Tremonti SE Custom is very value oriented and will have decent wood. :) I hope that is true. Maybe other owners can chime in.

Different string gauges, or even strings themselves! Try out a few types or brands and you'll find one that pleases your ears (and fingers) the most.

Or even more obvious would be pickups. Many people praise the stock ones, but there's always something about swapping out the pickups for something that gives "more" of what you like :laugh: like me, I thought the stock bridge pickup in my SE Custom was already good enough, but I just wanted to swap it out for something "more". I was foolish enough to sell the pickup to a friend, but the D Activators that replaced the stock ones made me forget about that! Now, I can't imagine putting back the stock ones anymore, but every now and then, I pick up an SE in my nearest dealer and plug it in, they just sound amazing stock. Go figure. ;)

Also, astonishingly, picks can affect the tone. Try playing in the clean channel with a celluloid pick, then try out a tortex/ultex. You'll hear the differences. Not so much when playing with high-gain, but the differences are there, nonetheless. Listen closely and you'll know what I mean :D

I just ordered one of the limited edition finish Tremonti SE Customs on Monday. http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?6140-Limited-Edition-Tremonti-Custom-Se I'm having it outfitted with Cobalt 11's, Grover 3+3 locking tuners and a tusq nut, straight from Sweetwater. I'll replace the pickups myself if I decide they need to be replaced, but I like having different sounding guitars. Can't wait for it to arrive Friday and plug her up!!!

Can anyone with one of these guitars already, tell me how the trem holds up with alternate tunings? Does it stay in tune fairly well when using the trem??

I don't get it. Why is the UK getting custom color models and no one in the US is doing this??????>

They have arrived in the US(ordered mine from Sweetwater.com)...they have the charcoal, faded cherry and the tobacco (only 1 of tobacco left) quilted finishes...they are selling fast...also, fret12.com should have in the new finishes within a few weeks, and u can get one signed by Mark for the same price! ($739)...they have the original Tremonti SE customs signed for $709.

Duct tape! The red kind. Would be bitchin'. Or setup in B Standard. Those are the first two things I thought of.

The trem holds up fine. My Tremonti I use for Drop D and Open D tuning. No issues.

Back